Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Boarded in the middle of the night

Boarded in the middle of the night 22 Sep 2017 16:03 #51

• SomeSailor
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 258

dmcb wrote: Even more so if the shotgun is a pump. The sound of racking a shell in the chamber is one of the best preventive action know to man.

You point a tube at someone's mid-section and there's very little doubt their world would change if they caused you to pull the trigger too.
The topic has been locked.

Boarded in the middle of the night 22 Sep 2017 16:05 #52

• Fishtank
  • Thank you received: 13
Being shot with a flare gun is almost certainly not lethal and will almost certainly catch your boat on fire.

1995 Bayliner 2452 Mercruiser 5.7L Alpha 1 Gen 2

Boarded in the middle of the night 22 Sep 2017 16:43 #53

• yachtman
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 297

Fishtank wrote: Being shot with a flare gun is almost certainly not lethal and will almost certainly catch your boat on fire.

And then some people are just plain stupid. Lol
1989 Avanti 3450 Sunbridge twin 454's

1979 Bayliner Conquest 3150 hull#23

1979 Bayliner Conquest 3150 hardtop hull#24
Twin chevy 350's

Boarded in the middle of the night 22 Sep 2017 16:49 #54

• yachtman
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 297
And now imagine the look on the face of the perp when a actual bullet comes out. :woohoo:

Not sure what legal issues would come to pass if this was actually used on someone.

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

1989 Avanti 3450 Sunbridge twin 454's

1979 Bayliner Conquest 3150 hull#23

1979 Bayliner Conquest 3150 hardtop hull#24
Twin chevy 350's
Last Edit: by yachtman.

Boarded in the middle of the night 22 Sep 2017 17:09 #55

• Woodbutcher
  • Thank you received: 22

yachtman wrote: Not sure what legal issues would come to pass if this was actually used on someone.

Depends on the state you're in. Here in New Jersey, we have no castle laws, so if you use lethal force on someone, you better be able to prove without a doubt that your life was in imminent danger. Even then, you'll probably end up with a firearms charge against you.
Northwest New Jersey
1985 Bayliner 2160 Trophy Hardtop w/ Alaskan Bulkhead
Volvo/Penta AQ125B/275
MMSI: 338206607

Boarded in the middle of the night 22 Sep 2017 22:40 #56

• boatworkfl
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 355
The clue is "you must fear for your life" In some states. in Alaska your intruder is dead meat during an illegal entry of a home or boat which is your temp. home and castle!
Pat says: DO-IT-RIGHT THE FIRST TIME!

Bayliner 3870 "ALASKA33)
Twin 350 GM power
Located in Seward, AK
Retired marine surveyor

Boarded in the middle of the night 22 Sep 2017 22:52 #57

• driz
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 62
Oh don't bet on it. Quite the contrary. Remember that unless something happens management never knows anything went on.. Do write that letter. Don't demand their heads but do point out that their clumsy methods coul result in somebody mistaking them for thieves and the possibility os an armed confrontation. Just point this out and suggest they train their new officers in a safer procedure to approach craft at night.
Chances are they don't want these boneheads doing things anywhere near like this and the memos will go out. What happens often is they sort of develop their own ways of doing things procedurally and bad habits get passed along. That's one that needs to stop right now. There's no reason on earth hey can't use their lights and hail before boarding.

Boarded in the middle of the night 23 Sep 2017 13:01 #58

• floatyerboat
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 93
All good pro's and cons. One never knows what to expect since so many bad guys carry weapons these days. In some cases it only takes being robbed once to head for the gun store to pick up a new toy.
Just make sure that after you wound the intruder in the middle of the night and call 911 that you don't have to explain the dead seal or pelican on the bow of your boat.
Unfortunately we cant interview the thief before the crime begins to see how vicious the attack is going to be.
Dan
Frostbite Falls, Minnesota
Claudia V. III
1988 - 3218
Gas Drives
Last Edit: by floatyerboat.

Boarded in the middle of the night 23 Sep 2017 13:41 #59

• joe
  • Thank you received: 11
Had a buddy on a 49 hatteras this summer at rock the dock , dock in Tacoma have some kids in the middle of the night demanding money for moorage, saying it was there fathers dock and he had not paid. He was armed but did not have pull weapon, called police. When police arrived kids were long gone but in morning he had found they had cut 3/4 way threw his bow line. warning to boaters on this dock in Tacoma NO SECURITY. CUTTING LINES IN MIDDEL OF THE NIGHT QUIETLY COULD BE UGLY. punk kids
1993 43.88 bayliner motoryatch

Boarded in the middle of the night 23 Sep 2017 15:02 #60

• boatworkfl
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
I was once told buy a law enforcement officer "Dead men tell no tales".
If they are armed a wounded person can fire back.

Bayliner 3870 "ALASKA33)
Twin 350 GM power
Located in Seward, AK
Retired marine surveyor

Boarded in the middle of the night 23 Sep 2017 16:08 #61

• Mr. Darcy
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Love to fish for tuna
  • Thank you received: 170

CptCrunchie wrote:

Mr. Darcy wrote: I am not doubting your comments, but curious how you are so sure the flare WILL bounce off? The powder charge propels the flare to an altitude of 300 feet, which is similar to the energy of some shotgun shells isn't it? Maybe I am out in left field on this one. Still wondering if there is a story behind the statement, "WILL bounce off".

Greg, when you fire a flare gun, the propellant burns first, and the point/tip stays hard so it will cut the air. If the tip caught fire before it reached any kind of height, it would slow the flare too much to get any kind of height. Ergo: Firing a flare gun at close range will bounce off and likely careen into a corner, or under something. And since you cannot pick it up until it is spent, it will quickly catch fire to whatever it ends up against.

If you do use your flare gun, you will have but one question to ask yourself, "How long can I tread water?"

Thanks for the explanation. I had been under the impression there was enough energy to penetrate the skin. Apparently not. When I was in my twenties I spent a lot of time in the forest hiking and camping alone. My brother, a gunsmith, insisted that I carry a side arm for protection against whatever. I finally acquiesced. He out fitted me with a S&W .44 magnum with the "Dirty Harry" mods. He was doing a lot of those at that time. It was so heavy I quit carrying the thing, in favor of a carbine. Now it may be time for the .44 mag again. And I can ask the intruder if they 'feel lucky'.
Newport, Oregon
South Beach Marina
1986 3270 with twin 110 HP Hino diesels. Name of boat "Mr. Darcy"
Past work history: Prototyping, tooling, and repair for Reinell,. General fiberglass boat repair starting in 1976.
Also worked as heavy equipment mechanic, and machinery mechanic for over 30 years....
Last Edit: by Mr. Darcy.

Boarded in the middle of the night 23 Sep 2017 20:25 #62

• Zarn
  • Thank you received: 32
Down here in nz lot of boats have a fire arm on board mostly as defence for shark but a few in case you find intruders we have a alarm system we take on our boat which at night can be too sensitive and goes off when something is detected 200ft away daytime the alarm seams more relaxed it also has a wound mode if a intruder actuly boards and will inflect serious damage these alarms are sold world wide some country's / states they might be banned but there is easy ways around this and there different models which are just as affective ours is a overly protective pitball which at our home has proved the wound mode works well and this is the amazing thing our alarm is training another alarm which is only the size of a cat so dosent have wound mode but has great early detection mode.
Daniel Drummond.
Waitakere Auckland.
New Zealand.
2252 Hard Top.
Carbed 5.7 alpha one.

Boarded in the middle of the night 23 Sep 2017 21:15 #63

• iceclimber
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 115
Hey, what is this a gun forum ? lol

Love to read the old "rack a shotgun" nonsense, sounds like my Dad talking. Fact is folks, simply having a firearm present dramatically increases the chances of you or your loved ones being shot and/or killed. Full disclosure, I love guns. Have a safe full of them, and heck I used to carry everywhere. I just knew that some day, I would be a hero. Gave it all up when I came to the realization that the odds are greater that I will be attacked by a shark.

Consider a motion activated light, and really one of the best deterrents is a dog. I know I've told this story before, but my dog woke me up one night and here is a young lady in a bikini on my swim platform. I assume this shapely lass was being adventurous, chasing booze whatever. I am so, so glad I didn't wake up and grab a gun. Who knows what would have happened in my groggy state. Regardless, she disappeared like a mythical Siren, and the Admiral told me to stop telling stories and go to sleep.

If I am not on my boat, they can keep it. Let them put gas in the thing and they will realize they made a mistake.
Last Edit: by iceclimber.

Boarded in the middle of the night 23 Sep 2017 23:45 #64

• Jeffw
  • Arizona Coast
  • Thank you received: 451
"Love to read the old "rack a shotgun" nonsense" (Iceclimber)

Not nonsense at all. I've had three real-life experiences where that was all that was necessary, not a shot fired, nor a word spoken.B)

And no, not a gun forum, just the Dock Walk, where boaters can discuss anything except POLITICS, so let's all make sure we don't bring that into the discussion. (Friendly reminder.:) )
Jeff & Tara
(And Ginger too)
Lake Havasu City, AZ
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
2000 Bayliner 2858
"GETA WAY"
MMSI: 338094599
In memory of Shadow, the best boat dog ever. Rest in peace, girl. July 2, 2010
Last Edit: by Jeffw.

Boarded in the middle of the night 24 Sep 2017 01:01 #65

• boatworkfl
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
I agree that this should not have a firearm thread.
That being said, a comment on protection while on the water should be OK, but lets not get carried away.

Bayliner 3870 "ALASKA33)
Twin 350 GM power
Located in Seward, AK
Retired marine surveyor

Boarded in the middle of the night 24 Sep 2017 18:52 #66

• businessgetmoney
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 18

iceclimber wrote: Hey, what is this a gun forum ? lol

Love to read the old "rack a shotgun" nonsense, sounds like my Dad talking. Fact is folks, simply having a firearm present dramatically increases the chances of you or your loved ones being shot and/or killed. Full disclosure, I love guns. Have a safe full of them, and heck I used to carry everywhere. I just knew that some day, I would be a hero. Gave it all up when I came to the realization that the odds are greater that I will be attacked by a shark.

Consider a motion activated light, and really one of the best deterrents is a dog. I know I've told this story before, but my dog woke me up one night and here is a young lady in a bikini on my swim platform. I assume this shapely lass was being adventurous, chasing booze whatever. I am so, so glad I didn't wake up and grab a gun. Who knows what would have happened in my groggy state. Regardless, she disappeared like a mythical Siren, and the Admiral told me to stop telling stories and go to sleep.

If I am not on my boat, they can keep it. Let them put gas in the thing and they will realize they made a mistake.

This is hilarious!!!! Hahaha i feel the same way. You want it, its yours! Ill gladly take my insurance payout and go bigger!
1993 formula pc 31 twin 454 bravo 2
1989 2655 cierra 5.7 omc cobra
2014 "searay" tandom trailer

Anchor bay clinton river
Michigan

Boarded in the middle of the night 24 Sep 2017 20:08 #67

• green650
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 382

businessgetmoney wrote: This is hilarious!!!! Hahaha i feel the same way. You want it, its yours! Ill gladly take my insurance payout and go bigger!

That's how I felt when Irma was headed towards my house. :0
But I wasn't living in it.
I think most of us here, our toys are worth more dead than alive.

Boarded in the middle of the night 24 Sep 2017 22:42 #68

• boatworkfl
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
To make a point, I would never rack a shotgun to intimidate an intrude, point being, there is a round in the chamber whether a shotgun or pistol.
If you need to rack it, pull the trigger.
I have no mercy for illegal intruders, but be sure they are not friends warning you are sinking or on fire.
Just point the firearm at their face and they will leave, even if they are armed, if they do not leave-dead men tell no tales."
No one wants to end their boating season testifying in court when called.

Bayliner 3870 "ALASKA33)
Twin 350 GM power
Located in Seward, AK
Retired marine surveyor
Last Edit: by boatworkfl.

Boarded in the middle of the night 24 Sep 2017 23:27 #69

• Jeffw
  • Arizona Coast
  • Thank you received: 451
I think we're done here.