Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Boarded in the middle of the night

Boarded in the middle of the night 19 Sep 2017 01:42 #26

• RPrather
  • Mankato,Mn
  • Thank you received: 37

CptCrunchie wrote:

SomeSailor wrote:

yachtman wrote: Hmm. Wouldn't a smart thief dress himself up like some sort of law enforcement officer before boarding a boat? If the owner doesn't wake up, he can steal whatever he likes. If the owner wakes up, he can make up a BS story about needing to pay for some sort of permit to excuse his behavior.

Not smart enough to realize that's a good way to end up dead. I can't imagine any LEO being that foolish.

Seriously SS, yachtsman has a point. Would any LEO board a boat without first warning the owners he was about to board, especially at night? They are trained to announce first and foremost. We also know that some crooks will dress up like law enforcement, and in this case, a DNR officer.

RPrather, could you see if the boat was DNR?

At first I couldn't tell who it was even after he identified himself. I then looked over the starboard side and could see his boat and the reflection off his light bar from my 360 light. I did ask them if they didn't think it would be safer for them in the future to do a better job of announcing them selves. The one that boarded my vessel then asked if my last statement was a threat to which I answered most definitely not. I told them I was just telling them its a bit disconcerting to have someone board your boat in the middle of the night whilst anchored. It was definitely a surreal experience to say the least as I really thought we were about to be robbed or something maybe even worse. I an not anti law enforcement but I have noticed these young officers are a little gung ho these days.
1995 2858 7.4 B2 (Present boat)
1988 2655 460 KC
1987 2150 5.0 Cobra
Commercial/Ind HVAC/R Service Tech.
The topic has been locked.

Boarded in the middle of the night 19 Sep 2017 02:45 #27

• Car2n
  • Avanti 2955
  • Thank you received: 10
No firearms on my boat.
I have a Keurig though.
Wet'ever
1989 Avanti 2955
460 King Cobra

Boarded in the middle of the night 19 Sep 2017 03:19 #28

• Norton Rider
  • Away
  • Thank you received: 606
RPrather, did you file a complaint with the DNR? What the officer did could have gotten him and/or an innocent person killed.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jeffw
1999 3788, Cummins 270 "Freedom"
2013 Boston Whaler 130 SS
Anacortes, WA

Boarded in the middle of the night 19 Sep 2017 09:26 #29

• Rick Kenyon
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 6

Norton Rider wrote: RPrather, did you file a complaint with the DNR? What the officer did could have gotten him and/or an innocent person killed.

Absolutely. Can't believe that officer would be so stupid. If I heard someone on board in the middle of the night, the first thing out of my cabin would be a Ruger SR9C in my hand.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jeffw
1990 2755 - sold
2005 275 current vessel

Boarded in the middle of the night 19 Sep 2017 16:02 #30

• CptCrunchie
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 147

Car2n wrote: No firearms on my boat.
I have a Keurig though.

You gonna invite 'em in for a coffee????
"B on D C", is a 1989 2459 Trophy Offshore HT, OMC 5.7L, Cobra OD, Yamaha 15hp kicker. Lots of toys! I'm no mechanic, just a blue water sailer and woodworker who loves deep sea fishing.
MMSI: 367637220
HAM: KE7TTR
TDI tech diver
BoD, North Olympic Peninsula Puget Sound Anglers, Sequim, WA
Kevin

Boarded in the middle of the night 19 Sep 2017 16:09 #31

• The Other Gary
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 128
As a full time liveaboard I always have arms on the boat plus exterior cameras with IR to check the back deck and the dock.
My go to is a nice short Mossberg 510 in 20 ga with a combination trigger lock to stay legal, but only one digit off open.
Guns are an option in Canada, although many do not think that way, and the recent Defense of Property Act has made it even more
open as to when this is appropriate.
I get my ATF Form 6NIA every January so that I can enter the US with Firearms and just declare at port of entry.
I have never had a problem or any questions with this process when on our summer cruises.
"Adios Dinero"
1997 3988 with new 330 Cummins
Photo Credit: Whiskywizard

Boarded in the middle of the night 19 Sep 2017 18:44 #32

• dmcb
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 592

The Other Gary wrote: As a full time liveaboard I always have arms on the boat plus exterior cameras with IR to check the back deck and the dock.
My go to is a nice short Mossberg 510 in 20 ga with a combination trigger lock to stay legal, but only one digit off open.
Guns are an option in Canada, although many do not think that way, and the recent Defense of Property Act has made it even more
I get my ATF Form 6NIA every January so that I can enter the US with Firearms and just declare at port of entry.
I have never had a problem or any questions with this process when on our summer cruises.

What about the reverse? A US boater entering Canada with a firearm intended for protection?
Doug
Started boating 1955
Number of boats owned 32
Bayliners
3870 presently owned
Favorite boat. Toss up. 46' Chris Craft, 3870 Bayliner

Boarded in the middle of the night 19 Sep 2017 19:13 #33

• Download_Complete
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 551
I see we have a lot of testosterone going on right now.

One of the reasons I do NOT carry is that little (and sorry Jeff, I am not picking on you directly here, but your line sums up my thoughts) "judged by 12" line.

That line is very, VERY gray, and in a certain situation, the need to defend will not be preceeded by logical and thought out plan. Also, in the situation described, there's another way to handle the situation: Arm yourself with a blunt object or a flare gun (as stated, those do plenty of damage on their own), and then ANNOUNCE YOURSELF.

Thieves board boats because they think they are not occupied. Call the police, arm yourself, and then announce to the thieves that they have 5 seconds to leave at top speed.

Unless you dock in Gary Indiana, I can't imagine a need for a gun even in that situation.

Now, completely contradicting what I just wrote, and here's where my temper is coming out: Board my boat in the middle of the night with my wife and son aboard, and I won't need a firearm to kill you.
The following user(s) said Thank You: rexpress
Matt Train
BOC Admin
Chicagoland, IL
Last Edit: by Download_Complete.

Boarded in the middle of the night 19 Sep 2017 19:45 #34

• The Other Gary
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 128

dmcb wrote:

The Other Gary wrote: As a full time liveaboard I always have arms on the boat plus exterior cameras with IR to check the back deck and the dock.

What about the reverse? A US boater entering Canada with a firearm intended for protection?
Doug

Doug, shotguns and long guns can be brought into Canada by US residents by obtaining a form and paying $25 fee for a temporary permit for up to three long guns or shotguns.
www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/fs-fd/visit-visite-eng.htm
Tell them you had a Bear on your swim platform last visit and you are nervous, don't just say self protection as it will be interpreted wrongly.
"Adios Dinero"
1997 3988 with new 330 Cummins
Photo Credit: Whiskywizard
Last Edit: by The Other Gary.

Boarded in the middle of the night 19 Sep 2017 19:52 #35

• RGrew176
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 335

Solandri wrote:

RPrather wrote: We take these with us just in case. We were boarded in the middle of the night a few years ago while anchored on the Wisconsin side of the Saint Croix river. After walking out of the cabin half asleep and armed it turned out to be the Wisconsin DNR. He didn't see my pistol so I quietly stashed it and he never saw it. I advised him when boarding a boat in the middle of the night he may want to announce himself and his intensions to the vessels occupants. When I asked him what he needed he informed me that I must pay $15.00 to anchor as the river bed is part of the Kinikinnic state park. I declined to pay the fee and moved down river 200 yards.

Hmm. Wouldn't a smart thief dress himself up like some sort of law enforcement officer before boarding a boat? If the owner doesn't wake up, he can steal whatever he likes. If the owner wakes up, he can make up a BS story about needing to pay for some sort of permit to excuse his behavior.

RGrew176 wrote: A friend of mine was boarded during the night while he was sleeping. He heard the person board and heard steps above. He grabbed the wasp spray can he kept onboard. When the guy tried to open the door to the cabin he pushed it open and sprayed the guy right in the face with the wasp spray. The guy immediately went down. He was still down and crying out when the police arrived on scene.

For those who do not want a firearm on board this is definitely a less lethal method to bring down a perp.

There's lethality, and there's toxicity. While a firearm can kill, most of the time it will just cause a physical wound which will heal. A chemical pesticide, while it might not kill, could cause permanent injury. In the case of wasp spray, the active ingredient affects the nervous system, and its long-term effects in large quantities on people is unknown. The intruder could end up successfully suing you for any permanent injury he suffers. If you're going to do this, you probably want to stick to accepted self-defense sprays which are believed to have no long-term toxicity, like pepper spray.

That's all he had on the boat at the time. He now carries a weapon and like you said he also has some pepper spray on board.
Rick Grew

1981 Carver 3007 Aft Cabin

2004 Past Commodore
West River Yacht & Cruising Club
www.wrycc.com

Boarded in the middle of the night 19 Sep 2017 21:58 #36

• boatworkfl
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 352
Boarding a boat at night with-out announcing your intentions is a good way to meet your maker.
even a uniform may not make a difference, they can be bought anywhere.
Pat says: DO-IT-RIGHT THE FIRST TIME!

Bayliner 3870 "ALASKA33)
Twin 350 GM power
Located in Seward, AK
Retired marine surveyor
Last Edit: by boatworkfl.

Boarded in the middle of the night 19 Sep 2017 23:08 #37

• Jeffw
  • Arizona Coast
  • Thank you received: 451

The Other Gary wrote:

dmcb wrote:

Doug

Doug, shotguns and long guns can be brought into Canada by US residents by obtaining a form and paying $25 fee for a temporary permit for up to three long guns or shotguns.
www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/fs-fd/visit-visite-eng.htm
Tell them you had a Bear on your swim platform last visit and you are nervous, don't just say self protection as it will be interpreted wrongly.

Gary, we attempted entry with our filled out form and 12 ga. shotgun last June at I-95 going into New Brunswick. Our reason checked was wildlife defense and transiting Canada for re-entry from Alberta or BC. We were denied because they "have no way of knowing you will be going through rural areas where you might encounter wild animals." We were told we could enter without the shotgun, given choices of selling it in Maine, shipping it home or surrendering to the Crown. We told them no thanks, we'll go home across the US, spending the rest of our travel money at home, not in Canada. Interestingly, it's the same shotgun we took into and through Canada 3 times before via Ontario, Alberta and BC.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Comet
Jeff & Tara
(And Ginger too)
Lake Havasu City, AZ
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
2000 Bayliner 2858
"GETA WAY"
MMSI: 338094599
In memory of Shadow, the best boat dog ever. Rest in peace, girl. July 2, 2010

Boarded in the middle of the night 19 Sep 2017 23:13 #38

• Jeffw
  • Arizona Coast
  • Thank you received: 451

Download_Complete wrote: I see we have a lot of testosterone going on right now.

One of the reasons I do NOT carry is that little (and sorry Jeff, I am not picking on you directly here, but your line sums up my thoughts) "judged by 12" line.

That line is very, VERY gray, and in a certain situation, the need to defend will not be preceeded by logical and thought out plan. Also, in the situation described, there's another way to handle the situation: Arm yourself with a blunt object or a flare gun (as stated, those do plenty of damage on their own), and then ANNOUNCE YOURSELF.

Thieves board boats because they think they are not occupied. Call the police, arm yourself, and then announce to the thieves that they have 5 seconds to leave at top speed.

Unless you dock in Gary Indiana, I can't imagine a need for a gun even in that situation.

Now, completely contradicting what I just wrote, and here's where my temper is coming out: Board my boat in the middle of the night with my wife and son aboard, and I won't need a firearm to kill you.

The problem with your final thought is why most of us DO carry guns, to avoid the need for anger and rage overwhelming the situation. Just having a gun and making it known PREVENTS the need to take action far more than anyone even knows.
Jeff & Tara
(And Ginger too)
Lake Havasu City, AZ
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
2000 Bayliner 2858
"GETA WAY"
MMSI: 338094599
In memory of Shadow, the best boat dog ever. Rest in peace, girl. July 2, 2010

Boarded in the middle of the night 19 Sep 2017 23:48 #39

• businessgetmoney
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 18
Im the only person who posed a positive peaceful response!

Im finding it so hard to feel such need to be armed on my boat. Im way to drunk on my boat to have access to a gun..
The following user(s) said Thank You: rafaelfigueira
1993 formula pc 31 twin 454 bravo 2
1989 2655 cierra 5.7 omc cobra
2014 "searay" tandom trailer

Anchor bay clinton river
Michigan

Boarded in the middle of the night 20 Sep 2017 02:32 #40

• boatworkfl
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
When you hook a 100 lb halibut a firearm is usually necessary, a large halibut on the deck can break your leg.
Alaska has few if any restrictions on firearms, residents open or concealed carry is OK.
Not many boaters in Alaska do not have firearms on board.

I have never had an issue with transporting a firearm through Canada with the proper transport permit, certain pistols can also be transported through Canada with an ATT permit, certain restrictions with caliber (.25-.32) and barrel length.

Bayliner 3870 "ALASKA33)
Twin 350 GM power
Located in Seward, AK
Retired marine surveyor

Boarded in the middle of the night 20 Sep 2017 21:04 #41

• Sharkey
  • Thank you received: 0
Repeat after me,,,, shooting a flare while in your boat cabin, or on your boat and not pointing the flare gun skyward, will cause bad things to happen,

Shooting a flare at someone "on" your boat is a bad idea. The projectile WILL bounce off of them, it will not stick to them or drill a hole in them, it WILL bounce off of them. And, it will continue to burn, you cannot pick it up, it will set your boat on fire. You cannot put the burning flare out. You cannot douse it with water, or use a fire extinguisher on it to put it out.

A burning flare can burn a hole right though the bottom of your fiberglass boat.

Flares use for defense? ... Sure,,, throwing a fragile glass container of gasoline into a vessel that is attempting to (pirates! ) board you, shoot at the vessel with your flare gun, ,,,, usually you move on and the (pirate) other boat burns !

And no, I'm not avocating setting kids on fire for checking out your boat.

And yes, if you board my boat any time unannounced to do bad things, I may shoot you or set you on fire.
Sometimes there's Justice, sometimes there's just us.

Boarded in the middle of the night 21 Sep 2017 01:11 #42

• RPrather
  • Mankato,Mn
  • Thank you received: 37
It never crossed my mind to file a complaint and usually those things fall on deaf ears. I was happy that everyone walked away without any harm. The conservation officers were both pretty young and I'm sure somewhat inexperienced.
1995 2858 7.4 B2 (Present boat)
1988 2655 460 KC
1987 2150 5.0 Cobra
Commercial/Ind HVAC/R Service Tech.

Boarded in the middle of the night 21 Sep 2017 11:21 #43

• nwoashadow
  • Thank you received: 0
All this talk about using a flare reminds me of the movie Captain Ron! For those who want a non lethal way I would recommend Fox OC spray or take a class for using a Taser. I've been through both for training and certification requirements and never want to be on the receiving end again. My asp or Glock is always within reach to protect my family.

www.thehomesecuritysuperstore.com/self-d...er-black-44009-p=562

foxlabs.com/
79 25' Catalina sail boat.
Saving up for a VR6
Lake Erie Sandusky area

Boarded in the middle of the night 21 Sep 2017 17:18 #44

• Dooglas
  • Thank you received: 7
Are most of you familiar with the "Pirate's Plague"? It is a .38 insert for a conventional flare pistol. Similar inserts are available in .22 caliber. Both caliber rounds are available loaded with birdshot rather than a solid bullet for a less lethal effect. Blanks are also available if the intent is to scare without setting your boat on fire.

www.captainforhire.com/products.htm
2005 Classic 242
5.7L Bravo 2
Portland, OR
Last Edit: by Dooglas.

Boarded in the middle of the night 21 Sep 2017 23:18 #45

• boatworkfl
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
In Minneapolis MN in the 70's 2 police officers said to my mother in my presence, " if an intruder climbs in your window shoot that person and be sure they do not fall back out".
In other words, intruders are shot dead, especially if you fear for your life.
Your boat while you are aboard is your home-your castle so to speak.
They take their chances, you are not expected to take a chance with an intruder since you "fear for your life in your temp. home.
other option is: They do you harm and take what they want, and guess what, they do not want you alive to testify against them.
Forget flare guns, get a permit and defend yourself with lethal force, even in Canada a shotgun is allowed.
I have no mercy with intruders! I do not them to come back because I can identify them.

Bayliner 3870 "ALASKA33)
Twin 350 GM power
Located in Seward, AK
Retired marine surveyor

Boarded in the middle of the night 22 Sep 2017 03:10 #46

• Mr. Darcy
  • Away
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Love to fish for tuna
  • Thank you received: 166
Sharkey wrote: Shooting a flare at someone "on" your boat is a bad idea. The projectile WILL bounce off of them, it will not stick to them or drill a hole in them, it WILL bounce off of them. And, it will continue to burn, you cannot pick it up, it will set your boat on fire. You cannot put the burning flare out. You cannot douse it with water, or use a fire extinguisher on it to put it out.

I am not doubting your comments, but curious how you are so sure the flare WILL bounce off? The powder charge propels the flare to an altitude of 300 feet, which is similar to the energy of some shotgun shells isn't it? Maybe I am out in left field on this one. Still wondering if there is a story behind the statement, "WILL bounce off".

Greg
Newport, Oregon
South Beach Marina
1986 3270 with twin 110 HP Hino diesels. Name of boat "Mr. Darcy"
Past work history: Prototyping, tooling, and repair for Reinell,. General fiberglass boat repair starting in 1976.
Also worked as heavy equipment mechanic, and machinery mechanic for over 30 years....

Boarded in the middle of the night 22 Sep 2017 03:22 #47

• Don77
  • Thank you received: 12
S&W 9mm is my choise! and I don't shoot to wound!
Your there your dead!!!!!
Don
The following user(s) said Thank You: Comet
1995 Maxum 2400 SCR LUNA DE MIEL
1988 Bayliner 2455 (sold)
1976 Tahiti 16.5 I/O (sold)
10 ft livingston (lost in fire )
1987 18ft. Seaswirl cuddy (lost in fire)
"Is it better to be on a boat thinking about God, or be in church thinking about boating?"

Boarded in the middle of the night 22 Sep 2017 04:24 #48

• CptCrunchie
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 147

Mr. Darcy wrote: I am not doubting your comments, but curious how you are so sure the flare WILL bounce off? The powder charge propels the flare to an altitude of 300 feet, which is similar to the energy of some shotgun shells isn't it? Maybe I am out in left field on this one. Still wondering if there is a story behind the statement, "WILL bounce off".

Greg, when you fire a flare gun, the propellant burns first, and the point/tip stays hard so it will cut the air. If the tip caught fire before it reached any kind of height, it would slow the flare too much to get any kind of height. Ergo: Firing a flare gun at close range will bounce off and likely careen into a corner, or under something. And since you cannot pick it up until it is spent, it will quickly catch fire to whatever it ends up against.

If you do use your flare gun, you will have but one question to ask yourself, "How long can I tread water?"
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mr. Darcy
"B on D C", is a 1989 2459 Trophy Offshore HT, OMC 5.7L, Cobra OD, Yamaha 15hp kicker. Lots of toys! I'm no mechanic, just a blue water sailer and woodworker who loves deep sea fishing.
MMSI: 367637220
HAM: KE7TTR
TDI tech diver
BoD, North Olympic Peninsula Puget Sound Anglers, Sequim, WA
Kevin
Last Edit: by CptCrunchie.

Boarded in the middle of the night 22 Sep 2017 15:45 #49

• dmcb
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 592

Jeffw wrote:

Download_Complete wrote: I see we have a lot of testosterone going on right now.

The problem with your final thought is why most of us DO carry guns, to avoid the need for anger and rage overwhelming the situation. Just having a gun and making it known PREVENTS the need to take action far more than anyone even knows.

Even more so if the shotgun is a pump. The sound of racking a shell in the chamber is one of the best preventive action know to man.
Doug
Started boating 1955
Number of boats owned 32
Bayliners
3870 presently owned
Favorite boat. Toss up. 46' Chris Craft, 3870 Bayliner

Boarded in the middle of the night 22 Sep 2017 15:49 #50

• green650
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 382

RPrather wrote: It never crossed my mind to file a complaint and usually those things fall on deaf ears. I was happy that everyone walked away without any harm. The conservation officers were both pretty young and I'm sure somewhat inexperienced.

You are probably right that they were un-experienced and they boarded because they didn't know any better or someone told him they could. The best recourse is to call their department and ask questions, it might save them from future lawsuits. A boat, even though it is a mobile conveyance, offers many of the same protections as a house does when it comes to searches and seizures. The Coast Guard has the broadest board and search authority (other than customs when you have a border nexus) but even the Coast Guard won't board a boat at anchor un-announced unless it's a hazard in navigable waters.
Problem is lack of education amongst the many entities that patrol waters these days. Heck, just the other day I saw in Flint Michigan an ad for police officers where they are paying them something like $12 an hour. You get what you pay for…
Last Edit: by green650.
Moderators: Jeffwrafaelfigueira
Time to create page: 0.164 seconds