Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Boarded in the middle of the night

Boarded in the middle of the night 15 Sep 2017 09:39 #1

• joe440
  • joe440's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 48
2am at Imperial Landing in Steveston. Awoke by movement on the boat. 4 unknowns on my boat making noise, taking photos and going up and down from the fly bridge. Police called , they responded quickly but if seemed like forever.
Just some youngsters having fun. It was a tense situation, you never know how things will turn out when alcohol is involved.

1989 3288
"Defiant"
5.7 L gas powered

2003 Yamaha FX Cruiser

MMSI 316 034 392
The topic has been locked.

Boarded in the middle of the night 15 Sep 2017 09:44 #2

• Jeffw
  • Arizona Coast
  • Thank you received: 451
That kind of "fun" gets dumb-ass people killed. Alcohol or not.
Jeff & Tara
(And Ginger too)
Lake Havasu City, AZ
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
2000 Bayliner 2858
"GETA WAY"
MMSI: 338094599
In memory of Shadow, the best boat dog ever. Rest in peace, girl. July 2, 2010

Boarded in the middle of the night 15 Sep 2017 09:56 #3

• joe440
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member

Jeffw wrote: That kind of "fun" gets dumb-ass people killed. Alcohol or not.

This situation has made me realize the need for a self-defence plan. The only thing I have onboard is a kitchen knife and a flare gun. The neither of them was close by while we were down in the midberth.

1989 3288
"Defiant"
5.7 L gas powered

2003 Yamaha FX Cruiser

MMSI 316 034 392

Boarded in the middle of the night 15 Sep 2017 10:10 #4

• Jeffw
  • Arizona Coast
  • Thank you received: 451
I know your laws are different, but we overnight on the boat in California, where the laws are much more stringent than here in Arizona. That said, I put our safety first, and would "rather be judged by 12, than carried by six." I can also report that the sound of a 12 gauge pump chambering a round sends most ne'er-do-wells fleeing...B)

Edit: And the ones on deck WILL hear that sound from the forward berth!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jeff1598
Jeff & Tara
(And Ginger too)
Lake Havasu City, AZ
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
2000 Bayliner 2858
"GETA WAY"
MMSI: 338094599
In memory of Shadow, the best boat dog ever. Rest in peace, girl. July 2, 2010
Last Edit: by Jeffw.

Boarded in the middle of the night 15 Sep 2017 12:08 #5

• businessgetmoney
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 18
Wow thats pretty spooky.

Honestly i think i would handle this situation with some positive vibes as i try to see the world as a beautiful place where all people are inherently good.

If the youngsters were boarding your boat in admiration i would offer them a tour to satisfy their curiosity and then dish out a learning lesson on just how expensive everything marine is and how you need to respect peoples dream property on that fact alone. Perhaps down the road it would keep you more protected than any 12 gauge would now that the word is out you have a cool boat and its known you arent an arse and kids would be more affraid of the costs of repairs then gettig shot!

Remember the youth are invincible! But when a door handle costs more than the new Jordan's thats some perspective you can arm them with that they can comprehend more effectively.
1993 formula pc 31 twin 454 bravo 2
1989 2655 cierra 5.7 omc cobra
2014 "searay" tandom trailer

Anchor bay clinton river
Michigan

Boarded in the middle of the night 15 Sep 2017 12:09 #6

• businessgetmoney
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 18
On the same note, at home i sleep next to my 1911... so im on both sides, id rather be alive than be a victim
1993 formula pc 31 twin 454 bravo 2
1989 2655 cierra 5.7 omc cobra
2014 "searay" tandom trailer

Anchor bay clinton river
Michigan

Boarded in the middle of the night 15 Sep 2017 15:20 #7

• SomeSailor
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 258
My bedside gun is a Sig P226 with a green laser. It's super bright and if the kids are brazen enough to hang around after seeing that come up from downstairs, their problems would get worse quickly.

Boarded in the middle of the night 15 Sep 2017 15:30 #8

• Don77
  • Thank you received: 12
I 2nd that!!!!!!!
Don
1995 Maxum 2400 SCR LUNA DE MIEL
1988 Bayliner 2455 (sold)
1976 Tahiti 16.5 I/O (sold)
10 ft livingston (lost in fire )
1987 18ft. Seaswirl cuddy (lost in fire)
"Is it better to be on a boat thinking about God, or be in church thinking about boating?"
Last Edit: by Don77.

Boarded in the middle of the night 15 Sep 2017 16:38 #9

• Jim Gandee
  • Away
  • Retired Fireman, Los Angeles
  • Thank you received: 181
My self defense is a CZ 75 9MM. Unlike Jeff"s 12 gauge, no one will hear the sound of the slide being racked because it's already racked!
Jim Gandee
1989 3888
Hino 175's
Fire Escape
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Boarded in the middle of the night 15 Sep 2017 16:40 #10

• Johnny 5
  • Thank you received: 0

joe440 wrote: 2am at Imperial Landing in Steveston. Awoke by movement on the boat. 4 unknowns on my boat making noise, taking photos and going up and down from the fly bridge. Police called , they responded quickly but if seemed like forever.
Just some youngsters having fun. It was a tense situation, you never know how things will turn out when alcohol is involved.

Steveston you say that's not good, I stay on my boat in New West when working in the Lower Mainland. Right now I'm doing nights so I wouldn't be on board in the wee hours when this type of stuff happens, now you've got me thinking about a self-defense strategy, gun, shotgun, speargun all sound good. Some piece of crap tried stealing one of the guys at the marina's motorcycle a few weeks back(failed) but did a bunch of damage, so I'm going to go on the theory that it's a bad area. The look on a crackheads face when you rack a 12 guage and tell him "start swimming" would be priceless.
John, Laurie and official boat dogs Rosie and Peanut(Jose)
'79 Bayliner Conquest
twin 350's volvo 280's
Boston Bar BC/ Boat in Vancouver BC
Last Edit: by Jeffw. Reason: Family forum, keep it clean!

Boarded in the middle of the night 15 Sep 2017 16:42 #11

• Norton Rider
  • Thank you received: 622

Jim Gandee wrote: My self defense is a CZ 75 9MM. Unlike Jeff"s 12 gauge, no one will hear the sound of the slide being racked because it's already racked!

+1 on the CZ 75
1999 3788, Cummins 270 "Freedom"
2013 Boston Whaler 130 SS
Anacortes, WA

Boarded in the middle of the night 15 Sep 2017 22:09 #12

• Mr. Darcy
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Love to fish for tuna
  • Thank you received: 171
Flare guns are quite scary when you explain to the target how they work. I had that situation. When they were told that the round would not kill them instantly, but rather start them on fire from the inside out, their eyes suddenly opened really wide, and departure was the only thing on their mind. Kind of a fire and brimstone sermon, but short and to the point.

Greg

Earlier I referred to the round as containing phosphorous. I stand corrected. They contain most commonly strontium nitrate (for color) and potassium perchlorate (to enhance combustion).
Newport, Oregon
South Beach Marina
1986 3270 with twin 110 HP Hino diesels. Name of boat "Mr. Darcy"
Past work history: Prototyping, tooling, and repair for Reinell,. General fiberglass boat repair starting in 1976.
Also worked as heavy equipment mechanic, and machinery mechanic for over 30 years....
Last Edit: by Mr. Darcy.

Boarded in the middle of the night 15 Sep 2017 23:15 #13

• Alaskanmutt
  • Anchorage Alaska
  • Thank you received: 323
When I was working on the Dago squid boats in Monterey we kept seal bombs just for this reason
Boatless at this time

A veteran is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America," for an amount of "up to and including their life."

Boarded in the middle of the night 16 Sep 2017 00:52 #14

• RPrather
  • Mankato,Mn
  • Thank you received: 37
We take these with us just in case. We were boarded in the middle of the night a few years ago while anchored on the Wisconsin side of the Saint Croix river. After walking out of the cabin half asleep and armed it turned out to be the Wisconsin DNR. He didn't see my pistol so I quietly stashed it and he never saw it. I advised him when boarding a boat in the middle of the night he may want to announce himself and his intensions to the vessels occupants. When I asked him what he needed he informed me that I must pay $15.00 to anchor as the river bed is part of the Kinikinnic state park. I declined to pay the fee and moved down river 200 yards.

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

1995 2858 7.4 B2 (Present boat)
1988 2655 460 KC
1987 2150 5.0 Cobra
Commercial/Ind HVAC/R Service Tech.

Boarded in the middle of the night 16 Sep 2017 02:33 #15

• RGrew176
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 335

RPrather wrote: We take these with us just in case. We were boarded in the middle of the night a few years ago while anchored on the Wisconsin side of the Saint Croix river. After walking out of the cabin half asleep and armed it turned out to be the Wisconsin DNR. He didn't see my pistol so I quietly stashed it and he never saw it. I advised him when boarding a boat in the middle of the night he may want to announce himself and his intensions to the vessels occupants. When I asked him what he needed he informed me that I must pay $15.00 to anchor as the river bed is part of the Kinikinnic state park. I declined to pay the fee and moved down river 200 yards.

That was a rather brazen move by the DNR guy. Coming aboard your boat in the middle of the night is not a smart thing to do even for someone in law enforcement.
Rick Grew

1981 Carver 3007 Aft Cabin

2004 Past Commodore
West River Yacht & Cruising Club
www.wrycc.com

Boarded in the middle of the night 16 Sep 2017 03:50 #16

• TD Images
  • Thank you received: 7
We were at Steveston dock with a group one new years and one of the boats was boarded in the middle of the night. The owner sleeping in the forward berth heard them and went into the pilot house and it was kids out to steal his burgee. He gave them a good dose of his air horns from the comfort of his pilot house and enjoyed watching how fast they could exit both his boat and the docks! But the flare gun is an interesting idea for self defense!
Tony.

Fairwinds and Calm Waters!
2002 3988 Viewfinder II
1990 3288 Viewfinder - Sold

Member - RCYC
Member CPS - Langley, Pt Moody Squadrons

Boarded in the middle of the night 16 Sep 2017 13:40 #17

• joe440
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
For myself guns are not an option and I would be afraid to use a flare gun onboard and have my boat go up in flames.
I’m thinking of installing a panic light and siren to scare intruders off. It gives them a chance to leave before it becomes confrontational.

1989 3288
"Defiant"
5.7 L gas powered

2003 Yamaha FX Cruiser

MMSI 316 034 392

Boarded in the middle of the night 16 Sep 2017 13:54 #18

• dmcb
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 601
As we boat almost all the season in Canada, guns are not an option for us.
In the 50 plus years we have boated this area I have never felt the need for one. We never lock the boat when we leave it at anchor for the day. I have never felt the need for doing so.
All that said I keep a flare gun next to our bed. Also a fire extinguisher. Just in case I need either.
I think a flare in the belly would alter the intent of someone coming aboard at night.
Don't expect to need it but its there in case I do.
Doug
Started boating 1955
Number of boats owned 32
Bayliners
3870 presently owned
Favorite boat. Toss up. 46' Chris Craft, 3870 Bayliner

Boarded in the middle of the night 16 Sep 2017 14:22 #19

• Jim Gandee
  • Away
  • Retired Fireman, Los Angeles
  • Thank you received: 181
Flare gun is better than nothing but:

You only have one shot without cumbersome reloading
Chances are very good you will start your own vessel ablaze
Jim Gandee
1989 3888
Hino 175's
Fire Escape
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Boarded in the middle of the night 16 Sep 2017 14:27 #20

• Yendrabuilt
  • Thank you received: 4
I keep a Taurus Judge around loaded with .410 shells, #1 6 shot, #2,3,4,5 are 000 buck or hornady critical defence if in bear country. Normal use is for rattle snakes around the place using 9 shot. Warning shot, very loud and lots of fire.

Boarded in the middle of the night 18 Sep 2017 20:37 #21

• RGrew176
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 335
A friend of mine was boarded during the night while he was sleeping. He heard the person board and heard steps above. He grabbed the wasp spray can he kept onboard. When the guy tried to open the door to the cabin he pushed it open and sprayed the guy right in the face with the wasp spray. The guy immediately went down. He was still down and crying out when the police arrived on scene.

For those who do not want a firearm on board this is definitely a less lethal method to bring down a perp.
Rick Grew

1981 Carver 3007 Aft Cabin

2004 Past Commodore
West River Yacht & Cruising Club
www.wrycc.com

Boarded in the middle of the night 18 Sep 2017 21:17 #22

• Solandri
  • Thank you received: 38

RPrather wrote: We take these with us just in case. We were boarded in the middle of the night a few years ago while anchored on the Wisconsin side of the Saint Croix river. After walking out of the cabin half asleep and armed it turned out to be the Wisconsin DNR. He didn't see my pistol so I quietly stashed it and he never saw it. I advised him when boarding a boat in the middle of the night he may want to announce himself and his intensions to the vessels occupants. When I asked him what he needed he informed me that I must pay $15.00 to anchor as the river bed is part of the Kinikinnic state park. I declined to pay the fee and moved down river 200 yards.

Hmm. Wouldn't a smart thief dress himself up like some sort of law enforcement officer before boarding a boat? If the owner doesn't wake up, he can steal whatever he likes. If the owner wakes up, he can make up a BS story about needing to pay for some sort of permit to excuse his behavior.

RGrew176 wrote: A friend of mine was boarded during the night while he was sleeping. He heard the person board and heard steps above. He grabbed the wasp spray can he kept onboard. When the guy tried to open the door to the cabin he pushed it open and sprayed the guy right in the face with the wasp spray. The guy immediately went down. He was still down and crying out when the police arrived on scene.

For those who do not want a firearm on board this is definitely a less lethal method to bring down a perp.

There's lethality, and there's toxicity. While a firearm can kill, most of the time it will just cause a physical wound which will heal. A chemical pesticide, while it might not kill, could cause permanent injury. In the case of wasp spray, the active ingredient affects the nervous system, and its long-term effects in large quantities on people is unknown. The intruder could end up successfully suing you for any permanent injury he suffers. If you're going to do this, you probably want to stick to accepted self-defense sprays which are believed to have no long-term toxicity, like pepper spray.
1994 2556, 350 MAG MPI Horizon, Bravo 2
Last Edit: by Solandri.

Boarded in the middle of the night 18 Sep 2017 22:51 #23

• yachtman
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 297

Solandri wrote:

Hmm. Wouldn't a smart thief dress himself up like some sort of law enforcement officer before boarding a boat? If the owner doesn't wake up, he can steal whatever he likes. If the owner wakes up, he can make up a BS story about needing to pay for some sort of permit to excuse his behavior.

RGrew176 wrote: A friend of mine was boarded during the night while he was sleeping. He heard the person board and heard steps above. He grabbed the wasp spray can he kept onboard. When the guy tried to open the door to the cabin he pushed it open and sprayed the guy right in the face with the wasp spray. The guy immediately went down. He was still down and crying out when the police arrived on scene.

There's lethality, and there's toxicity. While a firearm can kill, most of the time it will just cause a physical wound which will heal. A chemical pesticide, while it might not kill, could cause permanent injury. In the case of wasp spray, the active ingredient affects the nervous system, and its long-term effects in large quantities on people is unknown. The intruder could end up successfully suing you for any permanent injury he suffers. If you're going to do this, you probably want to stick to accepted self-defense sprays which are believed to have no long-term toxicity, like pepper spray.

Aaaannndddd..... you could get jailed / fined ( min $7500 min.to the sky is the limit) for using an insecticide for something other than its intended use which is a federal offense. Don't you just love the EPA.

The reality for me as sad as it has to be if i shoot you I will make sure you are dead. Dead men tell no lies.

It's not that I agree with that or want to do that but I won't take the chance of being litigated by some slimeball that deserved it and then wind up giving him more in the end. Not going to happen.

I don't always carry but when I do I will make every effort not to use it and at that point when I do I will make every effort to make it effective..

I usually carry a defender shot gun and a 40 pistol but only if I'm out for more than a day or so and depending on the area.
1989 Avanti 3450 Sunbridge twin 454's

1979 Bayliner Conquest 3150 hull#23

1979 Bayliner Conquest 3150 hardtop hull#24
Twin chevy 350's
Last Edit: by yachtman.

Boarded in the middle of the night 19 Sep 2017 00:36 #24

• SomeSailor
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 258

yachtman wrote: Hmm. Wouldn't a smart thief dress himself up like some sort of law enforcement officer before boarding a boat? If the owner doesn't wake up, he can steal whatever he likes. If the owner wakes up, he can make up a BS story about needing to pay for some sort of permit to excuse his behavior.

Not smart enough to realize that's a good way to end up dead. I can't imagine any LEO being that foolish.

Boarded in the middle of the night 19 Sep 2017 01:03 #25

• CptCrunchie
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Sequim, WA
  • Thank you received: 154

SomeSailor wrote:

yachtman wrote: Hmm. Wouldn't a smart thief dress himself up like some sort of law enforcement officer before boarding a boat? If the owner doesn't wake up, he can steal whatever he likes. If the owner wakes up, he can make up a BS story about needing to pay for some sort of permit to excuse his behavior.

Not smart enough to realize that's a good way to end up dead. I can't imagine any LEO being that foolish.

Seriously SS, yachtsman has a point. Would any LEO board a boat without first warning the owners he was about to board, especially at night? They are trained to announce first and foremost. We also know that some crooks will dress up like law enforcement, and in this case, a DNR officer.

RPrather, could you see if the boat was DNR?
"B on D C", is a 1989 2459 Trophy Offshore HT, OMC 5.7L, Cobra OD, Yamaha 15hp kicker. Lots of toys! I'm no mechanic, just a blue water sailer and woodworker who loves deep sea fishing.
MMSI: 367637220
HAM: KE7TTR
TDI tech diver
BoD, North Olympic Peninsula Puget Sound Anglers, Sequim, WA
Kevin
Moderators: Jeffwrafaelfigueira
Time to create page: 0.153 seconds