Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: IRMA!!!

IRMA!!! 10 Sep 2017 17:02 #51

• Douggy
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 70

oakplank wrote: Can someone explain to me WHY you would "ride it out" if you are CAPABLE of leaving.
I don't understand. Is it trying to be macho, the thrill, stupidity or all of the above. Help me understand. Injured or dead people cannot protect their, so valuable, belongings. However, they can put first responders at risk. Some would even say that this is so selfish.

My rant for this year.

This is nothing new or unusual, it's called human nature.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

2003 Bayliner 245
2007 Sedona F21

IRMA!!! 10 Sep 2017 18:03 #52

• Douggy
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 70
I heard on the news earlier that the water level was receding below normal in the Keys. Then I heard the same thing happened in the Bahamas after Irma came through.

Then I saw this video.

2003 Bayliner 245
2007 Sedona F21
Last Edit: by Douggy.

IRMA!!! 10 Sep 2017 18:16 #53

• captharv
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 85
I just want to say this. I moved to Florida in 1972. Bought a small home in Orange county, about 10 miles west of Orlando, and bought my present home in 1986. The "hurricane build standards change every year we get a good one. We had our home go thru a "wind mitigation survey" per my homeowners insurance company. He said my house qualified for the year 2005 rating. The insurance company knocked off 45% on my premium, strictly because of the survey.

Us inland folks have an attitude caused by prior experiences with storms. We have been thru many minor 'canes and the 3 major ones in 2004; Fay in 2007, Matthew in 2016. There was no house damage. Matthew broke my front fence gate because the underground support post was rotted. Charlie got my front oak tree to split at the "Y". (It recovered nicely)ne as a "draft? That's because the wind flows over the whole line of cars and has a lot less "friction" in the individual cars. Same with homes. My home sits at the end of 12 homes to the east (Where most of the bad winds come from), and to the north , south and west, a line of homes and trees act as a "draft train". The only houses in the whole subdivision which sustained damage was the ones exposed to the NE thru SE quarter directly and had no big trees or homes to act as a windbreak.

Not many people evacuated here. The ones who did were manufactured and mobile homes; and homes with very large glass windows.

Don't get me wrong. If I lived on the west coast; along a major river or bay; in a mobile home community, or less than 20' above sea level I would be out of there. I am a radio ham volunteer and most likely will be in one of the shelters providing communications during and after the storm. However, Iwi/ll be sure my family is safe before I leave the house.

Captharv 2001 2452
"When the draft of your boat exceeds the depth of water, you are aground"

IRMA!!! 11 Sep 2017 03:14 #54

• draveling
  • Thank you received: 2
our Place is only a just a short ways from Dougs we are a little concerned about citrus county

Larry and Susie
1992 2452 350 MAG ALASKA
1990 14' Johnsen/25 hp Evinrude FLORIDA

IRMA!!! 11 Sep 2017 14:30 #55

• Iproff
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 127
I just got off the phone with Dave, they are fine. It was a CAT 2 when it went by they had winds at 100 mph. About 7' of fascia came down he has a lot of trees down in his neighbourhood. Dave has no power or internet just his cell phone.

IRMA was headed directly toward my house but veered off slightly. The eye was 10 miles from our house. I just heard it's still there and no damage WOW. Here is a screen shot of the track I took last night. It has been a very tiring night. I was up till 5:00 Watching it.

Ken

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Watching crow being slowly eaten in the PNW.
The village idiot strikes again.
Last Edit: by Iproff.

IRMA!!! 11 Sep 2017 17:43 #56

• draveling
  • Thank you received: 2
we are not there , got an e mail from the people down the road and said didn't even loose power, all is good

Larry and Susie
1992 2452 350 MAG ALASKA
1990 14' Johnsen/25 hp Evinrude FLORIDA

IRMA!!! 11 Sep 2017 20:59 #57

• RGrew176
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 335

green650 wrote:

RGrew176 wrote: My sister lives in Cape Coral, she says she is staying put. I hope she changes her mind and moves a bit more inland.

Do you know where she lives? Red zone is mandatory evac. I'm by the second bridge up the Caloosahatche. Red zone.
Hopefully she's in B zone, but I still wouldn't stay. Most of the houses are cinder block, but a itting in there with 100+ mph wind and no roof doesn't sound fun to me. Convince her tomorrow to spilt.

She did end up going to a shelter. I have not heard from her yet today. Her last text last night was at 10:13 PM saying so far, so good.

Rick Grew

1981 Carver 3007 Aft Cabin

2004 Past Commodore
West River Yacht & Cruising Club
www.wrycc.com

IRMA!!! 11 Sep 2017 21:55 #58

• FISHIN00
  • FISHIN00's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 166
The Cable and High Speed Internet just came back on.....We are both fine.....Took a direct hit..Power went out at 1140 last night...The eye hit at 1220 am....Many trees down, many homes lost shingles ETC, Our home did just fine,lost about 7' of fascia, already replaced....a few leaks around the windows, a lot of yard debris. We are still running on generator power(Generac 5500/8500) running 2 TV's,4 box fans, 2 fridges,and a 6000 btu window air. Not even working hard. We expect to be on generator power for 3-4 more days. Going to set up another 5000BTU window air tomorrow as it will back into the 90's. Our son over near Tampa never lost power.

IRMA!!! 11 Sep 2017 22:55 #59

• rafaelfigueira
  • Thank you received: 103

oakplank wrote: This might sound cruel. But, I think that the first sign of help after the storm has passed should be to re establish what is needed (gas, hydro, food and the like) so that those smart people who left can come back. Then and only then, worry about rescuing those who were crazy enough to stay.
Sorry! But I don't think the ones who left should be inconvenienced any further because of those who could have left but chose to stay. Stupidity has a price.

I think a lot of people that stay and later need rescue never had the choice, really. Their home is all they have, perhaps a vehicle and that's all. The people that could leave and choose to stay can also afford to be prepared and wont need relief.

Rafael Figueira
1998 Bayliner Capri 1800 LS
Moderators: Jeffwrafaelfigueira
Time to create page: 0.105 seconds