Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: IRMA!!!

IRMA!!! 09 Sep 2017 02:45 #26

• RGrew176
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 335
My sister lives in Cape Coral, she says she is staying put. I hope she changes her mind and moves a bit more inland.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Rick Grew

1981 Carver 3007 Aft Cabin

2004 Past Commodore
West River Yacht & Cruising Club
www.wrycc.com

IRMA!!! 09 Sep 2017 03:52 #27

• green650
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 382

RGrew176 wrote: My sister lives in Cape Coral, she says she is staying put. I hope she changes her mind and moves a bit more inland.

Do you know where she lives? Red zone is mandatory evac. I'm by the second bridge up the Caloosahatche. Red zone.
Hopefully she's in B zone, but I still wouldn't stay. Most of the houses are cinder block, but a itting in there with 100+ mph wind and no roof doesn't sound fun to me. Convince her tomorrow to spilt.

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Last Edit: by green650.

IRMA!!! 09 Sep 2017 05:24 #28

• Simonsen
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 115
I agree GET OUT! All you do is endanger others having to come rescue you while you take refuge on a roof or the like! All for what to save stuff? Can't replace life...a house is sheetrock and wood...a home is where you and your family is which can be anywhere. Please people listen to the warnings and get out!!

Family Boater
1997 Bayliner 4788 w/330 Cummins - Phoenix
(past) 1987 Bayliner 3218 w/135 Hino - True Story

IRMA!!! 09 Sep 2017 17:39 #29

• oakplank
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • 2014 Element owner
  • Thank you received: 92
This might sound cruel. But, I think that the first sign of help after the storm has passed should be to re establish what is needed (gas, hydro, food and the like) so that those smart people who left can come back. Then and only then, worry about rescuing those who were crazy enough to stay.
Sorry! But I don't think the ones who left should be inconvenienced any further because of those who could have left but chose to stay. Stupidity has a price.

Parry Sound, Ontario Canada
2014 Bayliner Element with Mercury 60 HP EFI Big Foot OB
12 foot aluminum fishing boat

IRMA!!! 09 Sep 2017 19:17 #30

• Solandri
  • Thank you received: 38

RGrew176 wrote: My sister lives in Cape Coral, she says she is staying put. I hope she changes her mind and moves a bit more inland.

Much of Cape Coral is predicted to be underwater.

wbbh.images.worldnow.com/images/14872118_G.jpg
www.capecoral.net/fire_department/hurric...nd_updates/index.php

Note that the evacuation order dates back from Friday, when Irma's path was predicted to bisect Florida. The path has now shifted west, and it looks like the eye is going to hit Ft. Myers/Cape Coral directly (the strongest winds are at the eye wall), or will pass offshore to the west meaning the storm surge will be even higher than predicted. The westward shift is also pretty much the worst thing that could've happened. When it was predicted to go up the center of the state, it would've lost energy due to being cut off from warm water, rapidly diminishing to a Cat 3 or weaker. If the eye stays over the ocean just to the west of Florida, it's going to maintain its strength and the entire west coast of Florida is going to be scoured by a Cat 4-5 hurricane.

And this is a huge, slow-moving storm. Andrew was small and fast - it crossed Florida in 4 hours. With Irma's size and slow speed, your sister is going to be within hurricane-force winds probably close to 12 hours, gale force for over a day. Frankly you couldn't pay me enough to stay there. I would implore her to get out.

1994 2556, 350 MAG MPI Horizon, Bravo 2
Last Edit: by Solandri.

IRMA!!! 09 Sep 2017 19:18 #31

• Iproff
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 127

yachtman wrote:

green650 wrote: Looks like she's headed further west now. There's a mandatory evacuation of my new vacation house in Cape Coral because it's waterfront and only 6 feet above sea level. The prior owner was leasing it back from me till his new home in Naples got finished, but he hightailed it out of there and is safe in Atlanta.

Saying now that storm surge will be 16 feet. I think you are going to have a problem.

Indoor pool added value.

Ken

Watching crow being slowly eaten in the PNW.
The village idiot strikes again.

IRMA!!! 09 Sep 2017 19:27 #32

• yachtman
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 297
Doing some reading the average elevation of the entire state of florida is 6 feet. Most of the South end of the state is in the 3 and 4 feet elevation above sea level.

The storm surge is predicted to be 15 feet + and then a foot + of rain on top of that.

Looks to me like the entire state will be under water by about 10 feet+ The question is where do these people that are staying expect to stay or go?. Once the water comes in and covers your house.... how and where will you go? Everything will be under water for miles if not 100s of miles around.

I am the type that would ride out a storm, this one no way. I have some friends that live on the beach near Miami. They say they are staying. .hhhmmm I hope they have a good will.

The other thing is that no help will come until the entire storm has passed over the state because there is no way for help to pass by the storm until it's gone up north.

1989 Avanti 3450 Sunbridge twin 454's

1979 Bayliner Conquest 3150 hull#23

1979 Bayliner Conquest 3150 hardtop hull#24
Twin chevy 350's
Last Edit: by yachtman.

IRMA!!! 09 Sep 2017 21:26 #33

• FISHIN00
  • FISHIN00's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 166
Auburndale Fl has a elevation of 164 ft above sea level......If there is a surge that high the tallest building in Tampa is under water. What many people do not realize is that there is a ridge that runs right down the center of Fl, that extends 25 miles south of Sebring Fl. Then its flat as a pancake all the way south to the tip of Fl. I'm as ready as can be to ride it out.

IRMA!!! 09 Sep 2017 21:32 #34

• yachtman
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 297
Interesting the hurricane sucked all the water out of long island bahamas. Coming to a usa state near you.

1989 Avanti 3450 Sunbridge twin 454's

1979 Bayliner Conquest 3150 hull#23

1979 Bayliner Conquest 3150 hardtop hull#24
Twin chevy 350's

IRMA!!! 09 Sep 2017 21:41 #35

• Nickdixon
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Less than 650 days until retirement
  • Thank you received: 74
My daughters are essential personnel in Melbourne and not permitted to leave. Yeah, the track now is to the west, thereby the worst avoiding them, but last year they were forecast to GET the worst and did not.

I will rest easy when it's past, not when the forecasts look rosy.

Bayliner 195 Bowrider 2013 4.3l 220hp MPI
Alpha 1, Gen II
2012 Toyota Highlander V6 4wd with tow package
Albany, Ohio

MMSI: 338234042

Beware the men of measured merriment
(Sinclair Lewis, Arrowsmith, paraphrased)

IRMA!!! 09 Sep 2017 21:53 #36

• FISHIN00
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Our son just built a 3300 sqft home 7 miles east of Apollo Beach Fl. Although he is not in the flood plain, he is going to be hit harder than us. Right now as it stands..We are forecasted to have 90 mph winds from the northeast, then shifting to the sw 50-60 mph. Say good bye to everything from Marco Island north to Venice.

IRMA!!! 09 Sep 2017 21:55 #37

• Gtown
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 66
For all those affected please stay safe. Thoughts are with you and those already impacted by IRMA! It's going to be quite the ride!

IRMA!!! 09 Sep 2017 22:29 #38

• captharv
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 85

Alaskanmutt wrote: Does it look like it will pass over Inverness?

yes
If any of you here in FLorida, and live in a mobile home, or manufactured home, GET OUT!

Captharv 2001 2452
"When the draft of your boat exceeds the depth of water, you are aground"

IRMA!!! 09 Sep 2017 22:53 #39

• Douggy
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 70
Stay safe and Godspeed Dave and to all in the path of Irma.

2003 Bayliner 245
2007 Sedona F21

IRMA!!! 09 Sep 2017 23:39 #40

• Iproff
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 127

FISHIN00 wrote: Our son just built a 3300 sqft home 7 miles east of Apollo Beach Fl. Although he is not in the flood plain, he is going to be hit harder than us. Right now as it stands..We are forecasted to have 90 mph winds from the northeast, then shifting to the sw 50-60 mph. Say good bye to everything from Marco Island north to Venice.

I can't remember when we talked if your son and his wife are coming to your place?
Looking like Cat 3 or4 when it hits Tampa. They would be much better at your place.

Ken

Watching crow being slowly eaten in the PNW.
The village idiot strikes again.

IRMA!!! 09 Sep 2017 23:45 #41

• FISHIN00
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
They decided to ride it out!

IRMA!!! 09 Sep 2017 23:55 #42

• smitty477
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 966

FISHIN00 wrote: Our son just built a 3300 sqft home 7 miles east of Apollo Beach Fl. Although he is not in the flood plain, he is going to be hit harder than us. Right now as it stands..We are forecasted to have 90 mph winds from the northeast, then shifting to the sw 50-60 mph. Say good bye to everything from Marco Island north to Venice.

Have you checked the location carefully with this map?....
noaa.maps.arcgis.com/apps/MapSeries/inde...d7b277935fad&entry=1

Please all - stay safe with this huge storm.

Northport NY

IRMA!!! 10 Sep 2017 11:07 #43

• MidnightSun
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 199
Our family has a condo at Fort Myers Beach. Pretty sure the condo will fair well but the beach and surrounding landscapewill be forever changed for sure. Our car is probably going to float out to Cuba however just material substance. Goods news is everything is locked up and the hurricane shutters are closed and most importantly everyone is here in Canada far from the devastation. Oddly enough I am preparing for a 4 day stint starting early tomorrow on the boat with guests from Europe as the forecast is for the 5 best days of summer with wall to wall sunshine and very little wind.

Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

IRMA!!! 10 Sep 2017 11:43 #44

• FISHIN00
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

MidnightSun wrote: Our family has a condo at Fort Myers Beach. Pretty sure the condo will fair well but the beach and surrounding landscapewill be forever changed for sure. Our car is probably going to float out to Cuba however just material substance. Goods news is everything is locked up and the hurricane shutters are closed and most importantly everyone is here in Canada far from the devastation. Oddly enough I am preparing for a 4 day stint starting early tomorrow on the boat with guests from Europe as the forecast is for the 5 best days of summer with wall to wall sunshine and very little wind.

Just checked the forecast for this location...Winds 100-115 mph from the NE, then shifting to the SW at 100-115 mph, with a 8-10 ft storm surge.

IRMA!!! 10 Sep 2017 12:06 #45

• MidnightSun
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 199

FISHIN00 wrote:

MidnightSun wrote: Our family has a condo at Fort Myers Beach. Pretty sure the condo will fair well but the beach and surrounding landscapewill be forever changed for sure. Our car is probably going to float out to Cuba however just material substance. Goods news is everything is locked up and the hurricane shutters are closed and most importantly everyone is here in Canada far from the devastation. Oddly enough I am preparing for a 4 day stint starting early tomorrow on the boat with guests from Europe as the forecast is for the 5 best days of summer with wall to wall sunshine and very little wind.

Just checked the forecast for this location...Winds 100-115 mph from the NE, then shifting to the SW at 100-115 mph, with a 8-10 ft storm surge.[/quote]

Not exactly great news but much appreciated. Take care and be safe.

Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

IRMA!!! 10 Sep 2017 13:05 #46

• FISHIN00
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Done everything I can do to be ready. Staring to get the heavy rain bands and tornado warnings. Here are a few pic's of our home and the street we live on. I do not expect the tall oak trees to be standing when this is over with. I will continue to post pic's as long as I have internet.

This image is hidden for guests.

IRMA!!! 10 Sep 2017 15:08 #47

• Old Man With A Boat
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Have a good day
  • Thank you received: 50
I have a friend who's son went with his boss to take the boss's boat out onto Lake Okeechobee to ride out the storm. Is that a good thing? I heard the Core of Engineers dropped the water level in the lake to be ready for the storm.

Just love being on my 3870............Bill
1985 3870
Twin 130 Mits. not turbo charged
Name of boat is "Plenty Of Fish"
Live on board full time.
North Myrtle Beach, SC

IRMA!!! 10 Sep 2017 15:33 #48

• FISHIN00
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Anyone who is trying to ride out the storm on the water, better make piece with their God. A video just came up of a Martin county sheriff making a water rescue of a person who decided to ride it out in a sailboat.

Last Edit: by FISHIN00.

IRMA!!! 10 Sep 2017 16:07 #49

• oakplank
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • 2014 Element owner
  • Thank you received: 92
Can someone explain to me WHY you would "ride it out" if you are CAPABLE of leaving.
I don't understand. Is it trying to be macho, the thrill, stupidity or all of the above. Help me understand. Injured or dead people cannot protect their, so valuable, belongings. However, they can put first responders at risk. Some would even say that this is so selfish.

My rant for this year.

Parry Sound, Ontario Canada
2014 Bayliner Element with Mercury 60 HP EFI Big Foot OB
12 foot aluminum fishing boat

IRMA!!! 10 Sep 2017 16:24 #50

• FISHIN00
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

oakplank wrote: Can someone explain to me WHY you would "ride it out" if you are CAPABLE of leaving.
I don't understand. Is it trying to be macho, the thrill, stupidity or all of the above. Help me understand. Injured or dead people cannot protect their, so valuable, belongings. However, they can put first responders at risk. Some would even say that this is so selfish.

My rant for this year.

After evaluating the information given by media and government out lets we decided to stay. We were prepared to leave as of Friday noon. Our home is well made and has stood up to worse expected winds. Deciding to stay has nothing to do with your comments.

Moderators: Jeffwrafaelfigueira
Time to create page: 0.151 seconds