Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: IRMA!!!

IRMA!!! 06 Sep 2017 00:49 #1

• FISHIN00
  • FISHIN00's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 166
Looks like we have a HUGE storm headed our way here in Florida. This one is stronger than Andrew, which clocked out at 155 mph before the gauge broke. I hope that all BOC'ers heed the warnings given and stay safe. I live in Central Florida, between Tampa and Orlando and am preparing. I will decide Friday either to ride it out or GET OUT OF DODGE, which in that case we will go out to Tallahassee in the panhandle.
Strat, you going to be OK out on the Islands?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

IRMA!!! 06 Sep 2017 00:52 #2

• Alaskanmutt
  • Anchorage Alaska
  • Thank you received: 323
Does it look like it will pass over Inverness?

Boatless at this time

A veteran is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America," for an amount of "up to and including their life."

IRMA!!! 06 Sep 2017 01:15 #3

• FISHIN00
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Alaskanmutt wrote: Does it look like it will pass over Inverness?

Many of the storm track models show her running up the center of the state....too many variables right now. If she gets into the Gulf all bets are off..Katie Bar The Door. I'm getting ready to either ride it out or evacuate Friday. Our 2014 Dodge Durango has a a driving range on a full tank of over 500 miles. The Jeep will go into the garage if we leave, parked along the side of the house if we stay. Dougs place should be OK, sheltered pretty good, if the storm gets into the gulf, I don't know. Iproff's place in Lakeland, like mine is iffy, depending on the storm track.
Dave

Last Edit: by FISHIN00.

IRMA!!! 06 Sep 2017 02:01 #4

• Download_Complete
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 551
STrat is part of the hurricane response team at his workplace, so he is not able to leave. Thankfully, the track appears to be taking Irma south of Nassau. He's still in for a very rough week.

I am thinking about all of you in the path of this storm. Be smart, and be safe. FISHIN, please, pack up and get out. And don't go to the panhandle...I hear Atlanta is nice this time of year.

Matt Train
BOC Admin
Chicagoland, IL

IRMA!!! 06 Sep 2017 13:56 #5

• Douggy
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 70
Dave, this threat is too big to take any chances. If you wait until Friday and you realize you do need to go then you will be scrambling with the millions of others trying to get out.

2003 Bayliner 245
2007 Sedona F21

IRMA!!! 06 Sep 2017 14:12 #6

• CptCrunchie
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 147
I feel the need to remind you that Darwin favors the smart.

"B on D C", is a 1989 2459 Trophy Offshore HT, OMC 5.7L, Cobra OD, Yamaha 15hp kicker. Lots of toys! I'm no mechanic, just a blue water sailer and woodworker who loves deep sea fishing.
MMSI: 367637220
HAM: KE7TTR
TDI tech diver
BoD, North Olympic Peninsula Puget Sound Anglers, Sequim, WA
Kevin

IRMA!!! 06 Sep 2017 15:44 #7

• FISHIN00
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Thanks All....Friday noon is the go/no go decision. All ready have my routes planned( Not even going anywhere near a interstate). Go bag with important documents ready, 2 suitcases already packed. Going to get more fuel for the generator this afternoon. The local WalMart got in 20 pallets of water early this morning, gone in 30 min.

IRMA!!! 06 Sep 2017 19:36 #8

• Alaskanmutt
  • Anchorage Alaska

FISHIN00 wrote:

Alaskanmutt wrote: Does it look like it will pass over Inverness?

Many of the storm track models show her running up the center of the state....too many variables right now. If she gets into the Gulf all bets are off..Katie Bar The Door. I'm getting ready to either ride it out or evacuate Friday. Our 2014 Dodge Durango has a a driving range on a full tank of over 500 miles. The Jeep will go into the garage if we leave, parked along the side of the house if we stay. Dougs place should be OK, sheltered pretty good, if the storm gets into the gulf, I don't know. Iproff's place in Lakeland, like mine is iffy, depending on the storm track.
Dave

This is part of the reason I bought in Mountain Home Arkansas....

Boatless at this time

A veteran is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America," for an amount of "up to and including their life."

IRMA!!! 06 Sep 2017 20:14 #9

• FISHIN00
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Good News...The latest tracking projections have the storm hitting South Florida as a CAT 4, then riding the coast northward to GA and SC as a CAT 3. I'm still getting prepared just in case.
BOC'ERs in GA and SC get prepared!

IRMA!!! 06 Sep 2017 20:16 #10

• Alaskanmutt
  • Anchorage Alaska
Speaking of Argh Kansas....

If you and Ken need a place to park let me know, there is power and water (sewage dump just down the road at the fed camp ground.) Lots of parking area for your rigs and if you drag the boat there is Norfork lake and Bull Shoals for stripers, largemouth, cats and walleye, and white river for trout..... The house is pretty much gutted but the bathrooms work as does the minimal kitchen.

5.5 acres in a "secluded" quiet area.

Boatless at this time

Last Edit: by Alaskanmutt.

IRMA!!! 06 Sep 2017 20:21 #11

• FISHIN00
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Alaskanmutt wrote: Speaking of Argh Kansas....

If you and Ken need a place to park let me know, there is power and water (sewage dump just down the road at the fed camp ground.) Lots of parking area for your rigs and if you drag the boat there is Norfork lake and Bull Shoals for stripers, largemouth, cats and walleye, and white river for trout..... The house is pretty much gutted but the bathrooms work as does the minimal kitchen.

5.5 acres in a "secluded" quiet area.

Don't be surprised if we show up one day for a visit...Stripers and Walleye have my attention. It's good to be retired!

IRMA!!! 06 Sep 2017 20:27 #12

• Alaskanmutt
  • Anchorage Alaska
Not retired yet, Still in AK, but the property is there.It would be just you.... and my friend that checks on the place a couple times a week.

Boatless at this time

IRMA!!! 06 Sep 2017 20:51 #13

• FISHIN00
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Alaskanmutt wrote: Not retired yet, Still in AK, but the property is there.It would be just you.... and my friend that checks on the place a couple times a week.

Ken is still in CN, spoke with him yesterday....neither of us have heard from Doug......Thanks for the offer!

IRMA!!! 07 Sep 2017 02:39 #14

• Norton Rider
  • Thank you received: 603

FISHIN00 wrote: Good News...The latest tracking projections have the storm hitting South Florida as a CAT 4, then riding the coast northward to GA and SC as a CAT 3. I'm still getting prepared just in case.

Good news for you, but not for my friends and family in PR. Although the eye passed north of the island, chances are the storm did a lot of damage.

1999 3788, Cummins 270 "Freedom"
2013 Boston Whaler 130 SS
Anacortes, WA

IRMA!!! 07 Sep 2017 02:49 #15

• FISHIN00
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Norton Rider wrote:

FISHIN00 wrote: Good News...The latest tracking projections have the storm hitting South Florida as a CAT 4, then riding the coast northward to GA and SC as a CAT 3. I'm still getting prepared just in case.

Good news for you, but not for my friends and family in PR. Although the eye passed north of the island, chances are the storm did a lot of damage.

Hope everything goes well for your friends and family! On another site I frequent, a members friend rode thru a slightly off direct hit on a island that he could not evacuate off of in a concrete reinforced building..He texted afterwards that he had never been so scared in his life.

IRMA!!! 07 Sep 2017 03:06 #16

• Download_Complete
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 551
I cannot offer lodging, but if any of you make it to Chicago, I am happy to introduce you to the food scene in the area.

Seriously: FISHIN, Ken, Doug, and anyone else in the immediate area.....just get out. Leave. PAck up and head north for a week or two. Just be smart and be safe. Miami Dade has issued mandatory evacuations for coastal areas. Frankly, I would say get out now while the getting is good. It would be big time bad if you decided to evacuate while the rest of South Florida did as well. Miami mayor is on TV is saying if you can get out, do it now.

Reports coming in of significant damage in Puerto Rico. No word from the US and BVI. The Leeward Islands got a major hit - Barbuda has been basically leveled.

Matt Train
BOC Admin
Chicagoland, IL
Last Edit: by Download_Complete.

IRMA!!! 07 Sep 2017 03:22 #17

• Norton Rider
  • Thank you received: 603

FISHIN00 wrote: .... On another site I frequent, a members friend rode thru a slightly off direct hit on a island that he could not evacuate off of in a concrete reinforced building..He texted afterwards that he had never been so scared in his life.

Most houses in PR are built out of reinforced concrete, including the roofs; so riding our a hurricane is not much of an issue The main problems are flooding and power outages that can last for weeks.

1999 3788, Cummins 270 "Freedom"
2013 Boston Whaler 130 SS
Anacortes, WA

IRMA!!! 07 Sep 2017 05:46 #18

• Solandri
  • Thank you received: 38

Norton Rider wrote: Most houses in PR are built out of reinforced concrete, including the roofs; so riding our a hurricane is not much of an issue The main problems are flooding and power outages that can last for weeks.

Storms in the northern hemisphere rotate counter-clockwise, so the worst of the storm surge is to the right if you face the direction the storm is moving ("starboard" side). So Irma passing north of Puerto Rico was about the best thing that could have happened. Also, looking at the wind speed graphs, it looks like Puetro Rico escaped the worst of it, experiencing mostly tropical storm force winds. Only the northeast corner got grazed with hurricane force winds.

www.nhc.noaa.gov/refresh/graphics_at1+sh...shtml?swath#contents

OTOH, it looks like it's going to make a direct hit on Miami.

FISHIN00 wrote: The local WalMart got in 20 pallets of water early this morning, gone in 30 min.

Out of curiosity, I'm in earthquake country (Southern California). I always keep 3-4 cases of bottled water (40 bottles each) and a 1-2 week supply of canned food in the pantry and garage. I gradually cycle through the water and food (eat and drink the oldest from time to time, and replace the case of water or box of cans when I finish it off). So it's actually not that much trouble. Do people not do the same in hurricane country? Or do they rely on getting advance warning before they stock up?

Best of luck to all in Irma's path.

1994 2556, 350 MAG MPI Horizon, Bravo 2
Last Edit: by Solandri.

IRMA!!! 08 Sep 2017 16:03 #19

• Iproff
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 127
As of Friday 4:41am Irma has a predicted path going through Winterhaven Fl. Not far from Dave's house.
As of 11:30 Friday the track is predicted to go through Lakeland Fl . My house is in Lakeland I'm in Canada safe and sound. If it hits Lakeland at a Cat 3 or Cat 4 there won't be anything left of my house.
Marathon Fl is tracking to take a direct Cat 5 hit, there won't be much left. It is also tracking through Ocala Doug lives east of Ocala but is on the boat or home in North Mi.

Ken

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Watching crow being slowly eaten in the PNW.
The village idiot strikes again.

IRMA!!! 08 Sep 2017 20:01 #20

• FISHIN00
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
We decided to ride her out. highest expected winds will be from the northeast @102mph on Sunday evening, then 75mph from the Southwest on Monday morning. We are living in a very sturdy home. Plenty of supplies, generator,fuel. This is not our 1st Cat 2/3...will kept you all updated. John thanks for the offer, Ken will call tonite.

IRMA!!! 08 Sep 2017 20:40 #21

• Chief Alen
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Manalapan N.J
  • Thank you received: 1079
Stay safe people .

Be good, be happy, for tomorrow is promised to no man !

1994 2452, 5.0l, Alpha gen. 2 drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

'86 / 19' Citation cuddy, Merc. 3.0L / 140 hp 86' , stringer drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

IRMA!!! 08 Sep 2017 22:10 #22

• Jeffw
  • Arizona Coast
  • Thank you received: 450
Best of luck to you Dave, hope you'll be OK. Ken, Doug's place is SW of Ocala, look's bad for that whole area. We hope you don't lose your house. Prayers for all involved or affected.

Jeff & Tara
(And Ginger too)
Lake Havasu City, AZ
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
2000 Bayliner 2858
"GETA WAY"
MMSI: 338094599
In memory of Shadow, the best boat dog ever. Rest in peace, girl. July 2, 2010

IRMA!!! 08 Sep 2017 23:45 #23

• green650
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 382
Looks like she's headed further west now. There's a mandatory evacuation of my new vacation house in Cape Coral because it's waterfront and only 6 feet above sea level. The prior owner was leasing it back from me till his new home in Naples got finished, but he hightailed it out of there and is safe in Atlanta.

IRMA!!! 09 Sep 2017 01:15 #24

• yachtman
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 297

green650 wrote: Looks like she's headed further west now. There's a mandatory evacuation of my new vacation house in Cape Coral because it's waterfront and only 6 feet above sea level. The prior owner was leasing it back from me till his new home in Naples got finished, but he hightailed it out of there and is safe in Atlanta.

Saying now that storm surge will be 16 feet. I think you are going to have a problem.

1989 Avanti 3450 Sunbridge twin 454's

1979 Bayliner Conquest 3150 hull#23

1979 Bayliner Conquest 3150 hardtop hull#24
Twin chevy 350's

IRMA!!! 09 Sep 2017 02:13 #25

• oakplank
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • 2014 Element owner
  • Thank you received: 91
Why would anyone who can, not leave?
Those staying will not convince Mother Nature to change the damage and lost of life she intends to
throw at Florida.
Do people actually think that Irma will avoid houses occupied by people who refuse to leave?
GET OUT !

Parry Sound, Ontario Canada
2014 Bayliner Element with Mercury 60 HP EFI Big Foot OB
12 foot aluminum fishing boat
Moderators: Jeffwrafaelfigueira
Time to create page: 0.148 seconds