Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: 1986 Bayliner 185 remod

1986 Bayliner 185 remod 16 May 2009 16:01 #1

• mobilus
  • mobilus's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
Well, this is my first attempt at documenting something like this...so here goes.

A bought this bought this boat, my first, about seven years ago. It was kind of a spontaneous decision to buy it, and I spent $3700 for the boat and EZ-Loader trailer. I love that trailer, but more on that later.

My decision to buy used, rather than new, was based on the fact that I was a novice in anything other than jon boats. Figured if I screwed anything up, it'd not be a $25K boat.

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

The following picture is of my dad holding the boat...he hates the water, doesn't trust life jackets, etc. But he went out with us one time.

Just a side shot I thought looked cool.

Disgruntled teenagers.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1986 Bayliner 185 remod 16 May 2009 16:44 #2

• itsabowtime2
  • Thank you received: 354
The hull looks great in the first photo.

So what are the plans for her?

Phil, Vicky, Ashleigh & Sydney
1998 3055 Ciera
(yes, a 1998)
Previous boat: 1993 3055
Dream boat: 70' Azimut or Astondoa 72
Sea Doo XP
Sea Doo GTI SE
Life is short. Boats are cool.
The family that plays together stays together.
Vice Commodore: Bellevue Yacht Club

1986 Bayliner 185 remod 16 May 2009 17:03 #3

• mobilus
But I fell for the old girl, and when some advice I got on winterizing the boat caused a cracked block, I rebuilt a four bolt main Chevy 350 (5.7 L) to repower her. It was a good excuse to get rid of the 305 (5.0 L) that she had from the factory.

If you ever see the caramel color in oil (as in the picture), you know bad times are upon you.

I traded a junker car that I'd been given for that new core motor...

Then I spent about $1700 to have the cylinders bored .030 over, a new steel crank, marine cam, hi-po oil pump, etc. I retained the 305 heads because of their lower deck height, increasing the compression ratio slightly. Good choice, cause this thing now has some incredible low end. I can't find the pix from the rebuild, but it doesn't look any different externally.

1986 Bayliner 185 remod 16 May 2009 17:13 #4

• mobilus
itsabowtime, thanks for the compliment, she was in great shape. Hull-wise, she still is.

I want to mimic the layout of the Tahoe Q5i Sport...sort of.

I'm in the process now. I'll document as I proceed...more pix on the progress later today.

1986 Bayliner 185 remod 16 May 2009 21:31 #5

• mobilus
Last year, the boat sat in the shed...I couldn't handle the cost of $4.00 gasoline for the boat. Difficult enough to put it in the trucks. And I knew I needed to do something about the soft decking, which I didn't want to start working on, and the fact that the decking was unsafe kept it at home.

This year, I pulled the boat out, moved it up to the carport, and started gutting the interior. I tore/cut out all of the carpeting. Wow, there are a lot of materials in a boat! I swear that I will minimize the amount of components that require upholstery! And the carpet on the floor is going to be replaced by Ultra Tuff rubberized decking paint.

First, I determined that the rot was confined to the center of the decking, so I cut the rotten areas, plus a few inches to make sure I got it all. I haven't done the area over the fuel tank yet...I'll get to that when the seat pedestals are gone. More room to work.

Then I cut out one the back-to-back seat pedestals. I had no idea how tough a job it would be to cut them out, but after some trial and error with an assortment of tools, I found that an angle grinder was worth its weight in gold when used on fiberglass.

1986 Bayliner 185 remod 17 May 2009 15:17 #6

• mobilus
I should finish up the starboard seat pedestal removal tonight. I know that I need to glass all of the exposed wood before overlaying with new flooring. I want to use exterior (treated) plywood. After having picked up a sheet of 3/4 inch, I now think that is overkill.

Would 1/2 inch plywood suffice?

1986 Bayliner 185 remod 19 May 2009 11:32 #7

• mobilus
I learned a lot from removing the port seat pedestal, and the stbd one was gone in half the time. Burning the midnight oil again, but I want to have her on the lake for Independence Day this year.

I've still got the area over the fuel tank to cut out...tonight, maybe.

I guess I'll go with the 3/4" exterior grade plywood. If anyone has any advice on it, I'd really appreciate hearing from you.

1986 Bayliner 185 remod 19 May 2009 13:31 #8

• BluenosePrivateer
This maybe a bit late, but have you kept track of what you removed, from where and its weight?

I'd just hate for you to put all this time, effort and money only to find out that your boat ended up with a list and forward trim.

As for the plywood, marine is what you should use. Try to use as close a size as what you are removing. There is a thing as overkill. Besides, weight is a factor to think about on small craft.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Bayliner 197

1986 Bayliner 185 remod 19 May 2009 14:01 #9

• dorelse
  • Thank you received: 6

mobilus;297388 wrote: I learned a lot from removing the port seat pedestal, and the stbd one was gone in half the time. Burning the midnight oil again, but I want to have her on the lake for Independence Day this year.

I guess I'll go with the 3/4" exterior grade plywood. If anyone has any advice on it, I'd really appreciate hearing from you.

I'm no expert, but I used regular old plywood as I wanted to seal the wood in resin to insure (as best as possible) that water never touches the wood. Is that your plan as well?

I also have a 7/4 commitment to getting her ready for the water again. Good luck, it looks like a beautiful hull. It'll be nice to get the inside looking as good as the outside.

1986 Bayliner Ciera 2450 Sportcruiser

SOLD - 1986 Capri 1600 OB w/1986 Force 85HP
Remodel Project:
http://baylinerownersclub.org/forum/showthread.php?t=31138

1986 Bayliner 185 remod 19 May 2009 16:37 #10

• mobilus
Thanks for the advice and well-wishes.

blue, this boat always sat in the water with a nose-high attitude. Fixing that is one of my goals. By moving the rear seats forward, I hope to avoid having to ballast the nose with lead...yes, it was that bad. I probably should look at getting some trim tabs. I'll look at some 1/2 or 5/8 marine ply today.

Here's some advice I found while surfing: If you buy exterior, do not get pine. Exterior grade Douglas Fir AC or BC is about as close as you can get to marine grade without the high cost. Marine grade is usually Douglas Fir AA or AB with more plies than normal and has no void in the inner plies. Same glue and same wood as exterior Douglas fir with about double the price. Stay away from pressure treated unless you are making a deck for your BBQ pit. Pressure treated warps bad, is wet and resin will not stick to it unless you really let it dry and for goodness sake it is pine, which has no place in a Whaler. Fir loves resin, is light and strong and will last a long time. Archie Good thing to know.

dorelse, I'm gonna glass this thing up like crazy. If I have this thing figured right, no water will go where it's not wanted. And on top of the fiberglass, I have ordered two gallons of Ultra Tuff deck paint and will use that to get rid of the carpet, which was the culprit to the deck rot I had.

Good luck on your timeline as well. There'll be a lot of late nights to get it done. I teach aircraft mechanics all day, and have a tractor service on the side, so the days are long for this old boy.

1986 Bayliner 185 remod 19 May 2009 16:58 #11

• mobilus
Okay, after a half-dozen calls to area businesses, I finally found exterior grade Douglas Fir plywood. 1/2 inch sheets at 32.50 each. I'll pick some up tomorrow.

1986 Bayliner 185 remod 24 May 2009 13:39 #12

• 87bayliner
Molibus,

I doing the same type of project to my 87 Bayliner. I have all the floor out including the seat pedestals that go over to and are glassed to the hull. After I put the new floor in would those need to be replaced? The pedestals into the side of the hull I mean. Still mulling over seating arrangement.
Frank

Frank Mattocks
1987 Bayliner Capri 1950
125 hp Force
'The Bucket'

1986 Bayliner 185 remod 24 May 2009 16:03 #13

• mobilus
This site is awesome.

I had thought this was a 185, but Download Complete showed me that what I have is a Capri 1950. He even posted the sales brochure...wow! Thanks!

The knowledge of folks on this site, both individually and collectively, has made my project much easier to start. Thanks to you all for posting your projects...they are invaluable.

Today, the floor over the fuel tank comes out and I'll get my first taste of fiberglassing.

Frank, got any pix of your project? I'm going to go back in with bucket seats, so the seat pedestals will not be rebuilt. Moving the aft seating forward with a bench across the back will help move some weight forward, and it makes having the sunning deck possible.

1986 Bayliner 185 remod 24 May 2009 19:34 #14

• 87bayliner
Molibus,

Yes I do have pictures, just not that computer savvy. Your pictures were great and showed me what I was in for. My floor was in very bad shape, plus I found 4 screws driven into the fuel tank, ugh. Already made that repair. I've looked at going back in with buckets, the bases would be kinda close to the hull once screwed down. Will look again. Would like to have the extra space buckets afford because we mostly just fish with just occassional joyriders.
Frank

Frank Mattocks
1987 Bayliner Capri 1950
125 hp Force
'The Bucket'

1986 Bayliner 185 remod 24 May 2009 23:57 #15

• mobilus
Frank, since I'll be using mine as much for fishing as for play, I am making a few adjustments to the interior to make it easier to clean. Like fiberglass gunwale close-out panels instead of the upholstered clutter catchers that came with it.

And I think I'll make a quick-attach sun-pad over the engine deck, so that I can configure the deck for fishing and keep the upholstered pad clean.

Same idea in the bow. Haven't looked at trolling motors yet, so I don't even know if that's a viable option. Most of what I plan on doing is trolling and fishing while tied up/anchored...our local lake has good fishing for both.

I like the idea of using pontoon boat funiture for the rear seating, with matching buckets for the helm and navigator positions. Navigator, radio operator, beer wench, admiral, wife...whatever.

I had to take most of the decking out...found water in the foam. The boat is a mess...I'll take some pix tomorrow when I get it cleaned out.

1986 Bayliner 185 remod 25 May 2009 03:24 #16

• 87bayliner
Molibus,

I saw pontoon boat buckets in the overtons catalog that we like. Saw some Wise captain chairs that would probably work too. The original seating did seem to low and I always found myself sitting on top of the chair back while cruising. Leaning that way. Found no water below the deck. Stringers are solid. I'll look into posting some pic's. Probably will have to resize them. A bow mounted trolling motor would be nice. Already have the fish finder. Put in a couple hours this afternoon cleaning up the rough cuts I made with the Recip saw. What a great tool! I'm ready to start making patterns, cutting the plywood and doing a trial fit. Then it's glass time.
Frank

Frank Mattocks
1987 Bayliner Capri 1950
125 hp Force
'The Bucket'

1986 Bayliner 185 remod 25 May 2009 03:44 #17

• mobilus
I wish I were working with an unlimited budget, but I have to keep this project within reason. What do you think about this seat from Bass Pro:

Tremendous replacement seats for your fishing or ski boat, these high-quality Premium Bucket Seats are built on rotationally molded plastic frames and equipped with thick, high-density foam padding to ensure that you’ll enjoy comfortable seating for years to come. These premium seats sport heavy-duty 28-ounce O.E.M marine vinyl upholstery that’s been specially treated to resist mildew and color-zapping UV rays. For easy installation, a Universal Mounting Plate is included. Seats measure 19-1/2”H x 20-1/2”W x 23”D. $129.99

Plus the pedestals...helm side will be adjustable, port side will not.

I could just build the rear bench seat and have it covered...will have to weigh the cost for each route.

1986 Bayliner 185 remod 27 May 2009 01:47 #18

• tnconcept
Wow Please keep update of your project. Great ideas you have! Love to see the finish product.

Gone fishing!

1986 Bayliner 185 remod 27 May 2009 03:44 #19

• mobilus
Thanks...I can't wait to see the finished product myself!

I started cutting the floor out above the fuel tank, and noticed that the foam installed when new had sort of bubbled the decking up away from the stringers. Oh well, so I'll have to cut the whole rear deck piece out...no big deal, huh?

When I cut the decking away, there was water in the foamed area to the left and right of the fuel tank. So I cut that whole 4' sheet out...and dug the foam out. I'll incorporate a drain through the stringers to allow for drainage. How does water get in there?

Here's a few pictures. No, I haven't cleaned her up yet. Getting pretty tired of working in fiberglass, to tell the truth. I hope that laying new glass isn't as bad a job as cutting the old stuff out. I guess I'll learn soon.

You'd think I would have covered the engine up, huh?

1986 Bayliner 185 remod 28 May 2009 00:20 #20

• 01sesedan
Awesome rebuild. Don't have a boat myself but looking into something low buck than trying to get a 20k loan.

I'll be follow this build very closely.

Great write-up..

1986 Bayliner 185 remod 28 May 2009 05:24 #21

• mobilus
Thanks, I find that posting this project has helped me as well. We've got kin from all over the country here this week for the two youngest kids' graduation on Saturday, so this week will be a slow one for the boat work. But it kills me to walk past and not jump into it on these days off my regular job. I did get some fishing in (from the pier) with my dad tonight, and I'm taking my grandson tomorrow night...boy, I miss my boat!

1986 Bayliner 185 remod 02 Jun 2009 03:41 #22

• mobilus
Got the boat cleaned out tonight, and then used cardboard to pattern the rear decking. Traced the outline and measurements onto a piece of 1/2" Douglas Fir [lywood, cut it out and then got my first taste of fiberglass.

I used a mix ratio of 10 drops hardener to each ounce of resin. Looks to be setting up properly. Anyone have any guidance here?

I left it to dry overnight, then I'll screw it down in place tomorrow night. The temptation to get on the water sooner actually had me checking Craigslist today at lunch...gotta resist, gotta resist.

1986 Bayliner 185 remod 05 Jun 2009 11:28 #23

• mobilus

Allrightee, then! I covered the underside of the rear deck board with resin/MEK-P catalyst, and it was a couple of days before I got back to it. I trimmed the excess off with an angle grinder, and test fit it again in the boat.

It was a lot more snug with the glass on the back, but once in place, I screwed it down with stainless wood screws. Then I covered the entire board with resin and added strips of fiberglass matt along the seams. Pretty easy actually. I'll add more resin and embed matting into it as I cover the whole board again. It might be overkill, but this was an area that rotted badly before.

Y'all have a great day!

1986 Bayliner 185 remod 07 Jun 2009 00:53 #24

• av8mech
Looking REALLY good! Be strong and stick with it. It will be worth it in the long run I'm sure. I admire your courage to take on this task, also the stubbornness to do the job right! Great post, keep the pics coming!

My restoration thread: http://baylinerownersclub.org/forum/showthread.php?t=23504
1988 2150 CF Bowrider
4V 5.0L 230 HP
"Can O Worms"

1986 Bayliner 185 remod 07 Jun 2009 03:48 #25

• nh boater
wow big job keep it up i like it si far

• Page:
Moderators: whiskywizarditsabowtime2
Time to create page: 0.150 seconds