TOPIC: A weekend of micro-projects

A weekend of micro-projects 27 May 2007 21:17 #1

• whiskywizard
  • whiskywizard's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Out exploring the waters of the Kawartha Lakes
  • Thank you received: 252
EDIT - picro-projects are a lot like micro-projects, but you can't edit a thread subject...
EDIT - yeah but I can! Mike P

Had a pretty productive weekend; tackled a few minor projects that had been niggling at me:
  1. Changed out the faucet in the mid-cabin head. (Now that the Admiral has seen the new one, I'll be doing the master head before I know it)
  2. Mounted clips in the anchor locker to secure the windlass spud
  3. Repaired the saloon headliner (cut previously to mount the bridge deck's second helm seat ) http://www.baylinerownersclub.org/gallery/New-bridge-deck-furniture-3888/P7290220?full=1
  4. Removed the bar sink and plumbing, and re-capped the bar area with new laminate. We never used the sink and it just collected empty cans and other crap.
  5. Mounted 6 solar-power dock lights
  6. Mounted some clips behind the bridge ladder for the boat hooks.
  7. Swapped out the old anchor wash-down coil hose.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Regards
Whiskywizard
[/COLOR]

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while you could miss it.
- Ferris Bueller

A weekend of micro-projects 27 May 2007 22:42 #2

• c0ps
  • Thank you received: 0
what mike ment to type was.....

Had a pretty productive weekend; tackled a few minor projects that had been niggling at me:
Changed out the faucet in the mid-cabin head. (Now that the Admiral has seen the new one, I'll be doing the master head before I know it)
HAD A BEER
Mounted clips in the anchor locker to secure the windlass spud
HAD A BEER
Repaired the saloon headliner (cut previously to mount the bridge deck's second helm seat ) http://www.baylinerownersclub.org/gallery/New-bridge-deck-furniture-3888/P7290220?full=1
HAD A BEER
Removed the bar sink and plumbing, and re-capped the bar area with new laminate. We never used the sink and it just collected empty cans and other crap.
HAD A BEER
Mounted 6 solar-power dock lights
HAD A BEER
Mounted some clips behind the bridge ladder for the boat hooks.
HAD A BEER
Swapped out the old anchor wash-down coil hose.
PASSED OUT!

1989 2455 Bayliner
5.7 GM 350
OMC Cobra

A weekend of micro-projects 27 May 2007 23:55 #3

• whiskywizard
  • Administrator
  • Administrator

c0ps;31430 wrote: what mike ment to type was.....

Changed out the faucet in the mid-cabin head. (Now that the Admiral has seen the new one, I'll be doing the master head before I know it)
HAD A BEER
Mounted clips in the anchor locker to secure the windlass spud
HAD A BEER
Repaired the saloon headliner (cut previously to mount the bridge deck's second helm seat ) http://www.baylinerownersclub.org/gallery/New-bridge-deck-furniture-3888/P7290220?full=1
HAD A BEER
Removed the bar sink and plumbing, and re-capped the bar area with new laminate. We never used the sink and it just collected empty cans and other crap.
HAD A BEER
Mounted 6 solar-power dock lights
HAD A BEER
Mounted some clips behind the bridge ladder for the boat hooks.
HAD A BEER
Swapped out the old anchor wash-down coil hose.
PASSED OUT!

There was also some wine thrown in there, and a G&T too!

Regards
Whiskywizard
[/COLOR]

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while you could miss it.
- Ferris Bueller

A weekend of micro-projects 28 May 2007 16:23 #4

• thefamilyjewells
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Now thats's funny, I don't care who ya are !

Actually, it strangely resembles my list when I work on the boat (the 2nd list, not the 1st...)

Good job Mike !

A weekend of micro-projects 29 May 2007 04:39 #5

• tbear
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 3

whiskywizard;31401 wrote: EDIT - picro-projects are a lot like micro-projects, but you can't edit a thread subject...
EDIT - yeah but I can! Mike P

1. Changed out the faucet in the mid-cabin head. (Now that the Admiral has seen the new one, I'll be doing the master head before I know it)
  2. Mounted clips in the anchor locker to secure the windlass spud
  3. Repaired the saloon headliner (cut previously to mount the bridge deck's second helm seat ) http://www.baylinerownersclub.org/gallery/New-bridge-deck-furniture-3888/P7290220?full=1
  4. Removed the bar sink and plumbing, and re-capped the bar area with new laminate. We never used the sink and it just collected empty cans and other crap.
  5. Mounted 6 solar-power dock lights
  6. Mounted some clips behind the bridge ladder for the boat hooks.
  7. Swapped out the old anchor wash-down coil hose.

Not to be a sh@t, but this post shows why smaller boats ( I won't start a debate on the size thing again) don't have anything in common with the big boys, except that, hopefully , they once owned small boats too. How many Bayliner owners have a mid cabin head (apparently at least two on this boat) , a saloon or salon headliner, second helm seat, bar sink, windlass, and a bridge ladder. And what the hell is niggling? Is that a Canadian thing? Al Sharpton would be all over you for that word. :prod :kidding

A weekend of micro-projects 29 May 2007 10:27 #6

• whiskywizard
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
Niggling is the inflected form of the intransitive verb niggle.
Saloon is the correct term for the main house area containing the settee. We don't cut hair or polish nails in there. ;)

I find this an odd response tbear. You might instead ask, "how many Bayliners have a helm seat, a headliner, a sink, anchoring gear, or some stainless tubing?" The answer is - most. As long as our boats are both made of molded fibreglass, have internal combustion engines and drive lines, and the interiors are dressed with fabric and vinyl, we have lots in common.

And what the hell is Al Sharpton? Is that an American thing?

Regards
Whiskywizard
[/COLOR]

- Ferris Bueller

A weekend of micro-projects 29 May 2007 14:07 #7

• tbear
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 3

whiskywizard;31906 wrote: Niggling is the inflected form of the intransitive verb niggle.
Saloon is the correct term for the main house area containing the settee. We don't cut hair or polish nails in there. ;)

I find this an odd response tbear. You might instead ask, "how many Bayliners have a helm seat, a headliner, a sink, anchoring gear, or some stainless tubing?" The answer is - most. As long as our boats are both made of molded fibreglass, have internal combustion engines and drive lines, and the interiors are dressed with fabric and vinyl, we have lots in common.

And what the hell is Al Sharpton? Is that an American thing?

I'm all for a boat with a saloon :arr , didn't know if that was a typo. I gotta look up the word "niggle" now. And as for Al Shartpon...consider yourself lucky you're in Canada and he's not plastered on your national news every day because someone said "niggle" but meant something else, haha. :rolleyes:

A weekend of micro-projects 29 May 2007 15:23 #8

• slia67
Mike,

Personally, I like to read what you bigger guys are doing with you mods and updates. It sometimes gives me ideas. (Not that the wife is happy whenever I start a new project, she's usually happy with the outcome.) Keep 'em coming.

Doug

A weekend of micro-projects 29 May 2007 20:24 #9

• runbeckyrun

whiskywizard;31401 wrote: [*]Changed out the faucet in the mid-cabin head. (Now that the Admiral has seen the new one, I'll be doing the master head before I know it)

[*]Removed the bar sink and plumbing, and re-capped the bar area with new laminate. We never used the sink and it just collected empty cans and other crap.[/LIST]

Hi Mike,

Any pics to share? We have an '89 38, too....I know the faucets and I'm ready for new ones as well. Maybe even sinks too - if we're pulling faucets we might as well do it all. I also understand the whole wet-bar-collecting-crap thing. Plus, the swan neck faucet in our wet-bar just isn't right for the size of the sink, and water sprays everywhere no matter how low the pressure. Getting rid of that might not be a bad idea. Did you drill out the teak bullnose and put it back on over the new laminate, or did you edge the top some other way?

Becky

Becky
Blue Ayes
1989 Bayliner 3888
Northern WI/Lake Superior

Whether you think that you can, or that you can't, you are usually right. Henry Ford

A weekend of micro-projects 29 May 2007 21:16 #10

• whiskywizard
  • Administrator
  • Administrator

runbeckyrun;32117 wrote: Hi Mike,

Any pics to share? We have an '89 38, too....I know the faucets and I'm ready for new ones as well. Maybe even sinks too - if we're pulling faucets we might as well do it all. I also understand the whole wet-bar-collecting-crap thing. Plus, the swan neck faucet in our wet-bar just isn't right for the size of the sink, and water sprays everywhere no matter how low the pressure. Getting rid of that might not be a bad idea. Did you drill out the teak bullnose and put it back on over the new laminate, or did you edge the top some other way?

Becky

I'll get some pics posted. I hav ethe Moen model number on the head faucet too, in case you're interested. Stand by.

We plan to redo the galley, bar and saloon table soon - not this year but soon. So I took a shortcut on the bar. I filled the sink hole with some plywood, and made a paper template of the laminate inside the bullnose. The bullnose was never removed and remains there still. I cut new laminate to fit and glued it in place over the old laminate with contact cement. I caulked the edge with a very thin bead of caulking.

Regards
Whiskywizard
[/COLOR]

- Ferris Bueller

A weekend of micro-projects 29 May 2007 21:31 #11

• runbeckyrun
Good idea on that bar shortcut....makes it all sound pretty do-able. We'd like to re-do countertops (teal green) and the table too, but that's no quick project taking out all of the trim. Looking forward to seeing those pictures!

Becky
Blue Ayes
1989 Bayliner 3888

Whether you think that you can, or that you can't, you are usually right. Henry Ford

A weekend of micro-projects 30 May 2007 01:19 #12

• pkrogh
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
I've done a lot of laminate overlays for re-models. Works slick! We did find that results are 100% if you give the old laminate a quick sanding with like 80 grit before rolling on the contact cement.

Pete

"KROGHS NEST"
1983 Trophy 2260, '93 VP 250-A/SPA
Nordland , Washington, USA

A weekend of micro-projects 30 May 2007 01:39 #13

• whiskywizard
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
It's still an hour or two or work. Making the template precisely is important. Tape the template onto the laminate and score along the edges with a sharp utility knife. Snap it like drywall, but make multiple relief cuts along any curves or blind corners.

the admiral is a kitchen designer so the materials were all freebies for me; that definitely made it worthwhile for me. If you check the local building stores you'll find part-sheets of laminate that are really cheap. A quart of contact cement is plenty. The sink cut-out needs a piece of particle board 13"x13".

Regards
Whiskywizard
[/COLOR]

- Ferris Bueller

A weekend of micro-projects 31 May 2007 04:06 #14

• runbeckyrun
Thanks for all of the laminate advice. Maybe we'll have a refreshed interior sooner than I thought, with a lot less mess and headache! :)

Becky
Blue Ayes
1989 Bayliner 3888

A weekend of micro-projects 31 May 2007 22:36 #15

• trimjb
Look at it this way:
Little boats- $$$
BIG boats- $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

• Page:
Moderators: whiskywizarditsabowtime2
Time to create page: 0.132 seconds