Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Quick fix for quick starts

Quick fix for quick starts 09 Oct 2016 03:19 #1

• megamark
  • megamark's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 25
This summer I installed a fuel pump over ride switch on my 5.0 litre TKS. This able filling of the carburetor float bowl without cranking engine over on a electric fuel pump engine. I found when boat sat for a week or more fuel would evaporate out of the carb resulting in a lot of engine cranking. Now push and hold the momentary switch for 10 seconds and we have turnkey start back in the TKS. All it took was a 5/8 hole in dash to mount a momentary on push button switch. Next a inline fuse power supply from ignition (purple wire), I used a jumper lead from my hour meter. And finally a lead from the switch to the starter where the fuel pump lead is attached, this is a purple with yellow stripe wire. This should make changing my water separator/fuel filter next season much better.

Switch, purchased from Amazon / inline fuse / connecters / wire

Switch mounted in dash

Switch and inline fuse behind dash

Wire connected to starter

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1994 Capri 1950 CL
5.0 Litre Vortec Mercruiser Alpha Gen2
Last Edit: by megamark.

Quick fix for quick starts 09 Oct 2016 03:44 #2

• Obi
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 158
I have the same engine.
i just 'pump' my throttle 3-5 times and i can hear the electric fuel pump sending fuel to the carb.

Bayliner 242 EU (2006)
5.0 L Mercruiser , Alpha I gen II .
Raw water cooling.

Quick fix for quick starts 10 Oct 2016 20:45 #3

• Zarn
  • Thank you received: 32
I have a 5.7 4 barrel carb and had the same problem after 2-3weeks dry carb so I installed a primer bulb the same as you find on a tote tank which I pump a couple of times while checking oils etc engine fires straight away now.

Daniel Drummond.
Waitakere Auckland.
New Zealand.
2252 Hard Top.
Carbed 5.7 alpha one.

Quick fix for quick starts 10 Oct 2016 22:54 #4

• Mr. Darcy
  • Away
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Love to fish for tuna
  • Thank you received: 166
I have never worried about an instant start. If it cranks a few seconds before firing it is just delivering oil to the engine preventing a dry start. It is not unusual for some industrial engines to have to achieve a minimum oil pressure before they will fire up.

Greg

Newport, Oregon
South Beach Marina
1986 3270 with twin 110 HP Hino diesels. Name of boat "Mr. Darcy"
Past work history: Prototyping, tooling, and repair for Reinell,. General fiberglass boat repair starting in 1976.
Also worked as heavy equipment mechanic, and machinery mechanic for over 30 years....

Quick fix for quick starts 13 Oct 2016 00:44 #5

• green650
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 382

Mr. Darcy wrote: I have never worried about an instant start. If it cranks a few seconds before firing it is just delivering oil to the engine preventing a dry start. It is not unusual for some industrial engines to have to achieve a minimum oil pressure before they will fire up.

Greg

I've read where engine builders disconnect the ignition on a newly built engine and spin the motor with the starter to build up oil pressure. Instant ignition and 700rpm is not necessarily a good thing when you have no oil pressure.
If your battery and starter are healthy, I don't think it's a bad thing for the engine to spin and build up oil pressure before it fires up.

Quick fix for quick starts 13 Oct 2016 17:37 #6

• rkcarguy
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 66
Cranking for a few seconds is one thing, a few minutes is another. I know if I don't pre-fill my fuel filter with gas before threading it onto the tower it takes forever to get fuel up to the carb.
Yes it's common to kill the ignition and turn a new engine over until the pressure comes up. I also do this when I do my oil changes if I can't fill the new oil filter full of oil before screwing it onto the block. I have one of those heavy duty pushbutton starter switches that I can clip onto the starter solenoid and + cable, makes it easy.

• Page:
Moderators: whiskywizarditsabowtime2
Time to create page: 0.124 seconds