TOPIC: Strataglass Replacement

Strataglass Replacement 25 Jul 2016 22:32 #1

• TenMile
  • TenMile's Avatar Topic Author
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 215
One of the easiest quickest projects with highest return I think I've done on the boat. Our upper flybridge's front two windows are roughly 5 seasons old. Not 100% sure which material was used, however, the clear vinyl has yellowed to the point where it's getting very difficult to see objects crossing in front of the boat. Decided to replace the vinyl with 40mil Strataglass. Thanks to the BOC, I found "Factory Seconds" at YourShipStore.com and purchased a full roll ($US195 including shipping).

I don't have access to an industrial sewing machine so was looking at various options and stumbled upon a vinyl cement product called HH-66. It's waterproof (can be used under water as well) and bonds vinyl to vinyl as strong or stronger than sewing.

So I simply laid the new Strataglass over the old window. Traced the pattern with a Sharpie and cut it out with a sharp set of scissors. I cleaned the old overlap edge of the vinyl (the 1/2" where it overlaps and is sewn to the Sunbrella) with an alcohol swab. Coated the 1/2" edge with HH-66, and then did the same with the new Strataglass. I left the old glass in place initially so that the window would retain it's shape but sliced an initial strip with my scissors so I could cut it out. I then laid the new glass (glued edge to glued edge) onto the old seam, and pressed them into place. Trimmed out the old piece of glass and done.

Job took approximately 15 minutes per window.

Old vs new side by side: drive.google.com/file/d/0B2JPYCSPyz6Hd0N...NWc/view?usp=sharing

EDIT: Should mention that I left out a critical step. It's important that you roughen the edges of the new Strataglass and the old vinyl. Grab some 80 grit coarse sandpaper and give the edges you're going to glue a roughened edge. That removes the coating from the Strataglass and gives the glue a better surface to bond.
The following user(s) said Thank You: completelymobile, Patrevan, SprinterX

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Terry
1999 Bayliner 3388
Twin Cummins 4BTA
Fisherman, Cruiser, Boaticus-enthusiasticus-maximus
Member Royal Victoria Yacht Club
Last Edit: by TenMile.

Strataglass Replacement 27 Jul 2016 02:16 #2

• Patrevan
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 46
Great idea and great result. I'll be trying to file this into the 'gotta remember this one' file! Thanks for this.

Mike & Dixi
2006 265 5.0 MPI B3
Closed Cooling

Strataglass Replacement 29 Jul 2016 14:30 #3

• Tom Bagley
  • Thank you received: 0
Check out Sailrite for all your canvas and vinyl needs

Strataglass Replacement 29 Jul 2016 14:33 #4

• Tom Bagley
  • Thank you received: 0
I'm looking for worn canvas for a 1990 4588 I can use for patterns Stern enclosure and maybe flybridge I do have a commercial sewing machine

Strataglass Replacement 29 Jul 2016 15:02 #5

• SomeSailor
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 258
HH-66 is good stuff.

Strataglass Replacement 29 Jul 2016 17:46 #6

• diveguy
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • St.Margarets Bay, NS
  • Thank you received: 166

Patrevan wrote: Great idea and great result. I'll be trying to file this into the 'gotta remember this one' file! Thanks for this.

Me too.

"Martini's Law"
1986 Bayliner 3270, 110 Hino's
Nova Scotia, Canada
  • Page:
Moderators: whiskywizarditsabowtime2
Time to create page: 0.084 seconds