Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Started Carpet Project in 88 2455 Ciera SB

Started Carpet Project in 88 2455 Ciera SB 12 Mar 2007 03:25 #1

• WaterLoggedinGa
  • WaterLoggedinGa's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
Hello All,

I started my spring project today. I have ordered the new carpet and pulled all of the old carpet out today. It is not the original carpet and looks very similiar to the stuff that Lowes sells on the rolls. Most of it came up pretty easy, except for one piece under the counter in the head. I'll be installing a new Jabsco compact head after the new carpet goes in. No more leaky head.

I will also be taking the time to improve the wiring to my stereo system. After reading up on marine wiring, I now know that it's a bit different than automotive wiring. I'll be posting pictures of that project too. I'll also be adding a battery isolator, and cleaning up the rat's nest of wires attached to my house battery.

I'll update weekly as I progress. If anyone has any words of wisdom, I'm all ears. Thanks!

Kenny

Attached files [img]/media/kunena/attachments/vb/2056=76-Cabin Floor carpet gone.jpg [img]/media/kunena/attachments/vb/2056=77-Head before.jpg [img]/media/kunena/attachments/vb/2056=78-Head carpet gone.jpg [img]/media/kunena/attachments/vb/2056=73-V-berth before.jpg [img]/media/kunena/attachments/vb/2056=75-V-berth carpet gone.jpg

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Started Carpet Project in 88 2455 Ciera SB 15 Mar 2007 21:32 #2

• thefamilyjewells
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Kenny,

Look at my album, old projects, I did the same thing. Carpet in the head ? Ewwww, try to put something else in there if you can.

Keep the old carpet as a rough template.Cut your new carpet to the template but don't leave too much extra, maybe a couple inches at the most. I used a high end carpet that was recommended with the moisture and possible dripping of wet bathing suits. Don't you hate that blue on your countertops ? I replaced mine, wasn't too hard, I ain't that handy either.

Good luck, keep us posted and enjoy my pics, hope they help.

Started Carpet Project in 88 2455 Ciera SB 21 Mar 2007 11:29 #3

• WaterLoggedinGa
Well......I finished the carpet install on the 2455. It was no easy task. There was lots of drama just getting the carpet to my house. I'm gonna hold off on comments on that for now. I'm waiting to see if BoatCarpetBuys.com does the right thing.
I started putting the new carpet in about noon on Saturday and finished up just after midnight. It was no easy task that's for sure. A few lessons learned:

1. The spray adhesive is much easier to work with than the glue and trowel, except that you better have it in place in about 2 seconds, and in the right place!
2. If you use the glue and trowel, the pressure of your body weight through your knees on the freshly glued floor will force the glue up through the carpet.
3. The job looks much better if you remove the interior walls, but will at least double your project time.
4. The new Jabsco head has different water outputs than in 1988. Angled up, not to the stern. Gonna need new water line to the tank. Yuck!
5. Buy the best carpet you can afford. You will get what you pay for. Or in some cases, you may not get what you pay for. You may get a lesser quality and get charged twice on your credit card. ( More on that later)

Anyways, here's some pictures. Overall, the cabin looks much better in my opinion.

The weather looks great for this wekend in North Georgia. First trip on Lake Lanier should be Sunday.

Attached files [img]/media/kunena/attachments/vb/5495=177-New carpet 1.jpg [img]/media/kunena/attachments/vb/5495=178-New Carpet 2.jpg [img]/media/kunena/attachments/vb/5495=179-New carpet 3.jpg [img]/media/kunena/attachments/vb/5495=180-New carpet 4.jpg [img]/media/kunena/attachments/vb/5495=181-New carpet 5.jpg

Started Carpet Project in 88 2455 Ciera SB 21 Mar 2007 16:47 #4

• mars
That looks great !

Greets from the Netherlands,
Marcel
"Sweet Thing"
Bayliner 2855 Ciera Sunbridge 1994
Mercruiser 5,7L

Started Carpet Project in 88 2455 Ciera SB 21 Mar 2007 18:37 #5

• Vazies Avanti
I am in the process of doing the same thing right now - except that I am laying hardwood laminate down on the cabin sole, and carpet on the hull sides. I have to agree with Jim - "he ain't that handy"

Looks great though - a bit disturbing with the carpet in the head though, never seen or heard of that before!

Lyndon
'89 Avanti 3250
FOXSEA LADIES

Lyndon
'93 Silverton 41 Convertible
FOXSEA LADIES

Started Carpet Project in 88 2455 Ciera SB 22 Mar 2007 01:46 #6

• Visitor
  • Visitor
Nice job. looks good ...........Our boat came with carpet in the head. And its pink.

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

Started Carpet Project in 88 2455 Ciera SB 22 Mar 2007 02:16 #7

• WaterLoggedinGa
Thanks for the compliments.

I guess it could seem strange to have carpet in the head. All of the Cieras I've seen that did not have a shower in the head have had carpet in them. I know that the carpet I took out was NASTY. I never really considered any other option for it. Maybe I'll put a sign in the head reminding people to keep it in the porcelain...?

Kenny

Started Carpet Project in 88 2455 Ciera SB 22 Mar 2007 06:31 #8

• Vazies Avanti
Kenny,

Post a sign in the head,

1) No males allowed to use this facility unless sitting down while this vessel is underway.

2) No males allowed to use this facility if they feel the urge to discuss how much they value their relationship with the owner of this vessel after consumeing alcohol, unless sitting down.

3) No males allowed to use this facility first thing in the morning until they have least used one other facility, unless sitting down.

The carpet should hold up under these pretenses.

Lyndon
'89 Avanti 3250
FOXSEA LADIES

Lyndon
'93 Silverton 41 Convertible
FOXSEA LADIES

Started Carpet Project in 88 2455 Ciera SB 22 Mar 2007 07:07 #9

• pkrogh
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
How about a simpler sign that says:

EVERYONE SITS, ALWAYS!

No reason not to!! (unless one is out in the forest somewhere)

Pete

"KROGHS NEST"
1983 Trophy 2260, '93 VP 250-A/SPA
Nordland , Washington, USA

Started Carpet Project in 88 2455 Ciera SB 22 Mar 2007 11:42 #10

• WaterLoggedinGa

pkrogh;5888 wrote: How about a simpler sign that says:

EVERYONE SITS, ALWAYS!

No reason not to!! (unless one is out in the forest somewhere)

Pete

Pete,

I think you've got the plan. I think I'll make a temporary sign, and order a permanent one. I'll get a pic for ya after this weekend. Good one!

Kenny

Started Carpet Project in 88 2455 Ciera SB 22 Mar 2007 12:11 #11

• thefamilyjewells
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Great job Kenny !

I like the color, it looks very familiar....LOL

Its a nice color and makes it look sharp down below.

Lyndon is right(Not being handy), but don't let him believe that, it might go to his head, ya know, with old age and stuff......

Started Carpet Project in 88 2455 Ciera SB 22 Mar 2007 13:05 #12

• WaterLoggedinGa

thefamilyjewells;5914 wrote: Great job Kenny !

I like the color, it looks very familiar....LOL

Its a nice color and makes it look sharp down below.

Lyndon is right(Not being handy), but don't let him believe that, it might go to his head, ya know, with old age and stuff......

Jim,

I bet that carpeting does look familiar. Where did you get the new laminate for your countertops? I think that is next. Also, did you have the cushions redone, or did you tackle that yourself? I never realized how aged my cusions looked until the carpeting was replaced. Isn't that how it always goes?

Kenny

Started Carpet Project in 88 2455 Ciera SB 22 Mar 2007 19:48 #13

• thefamilyjewells
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Kenny,

I bought the laminate for the c'tops at Home depot, nothing special, BUT you can't use my color !!! LOL

I had the cushions redone by a fellow, he ended up doing all my top seating, he was so cheap and did such a good job, why stop with just the lowers ?

Started Carpet Project in 88 2455 Ciera SB 29 Apr 2007 16:23 #14

• gary345678910

WaterLoggedinGa;5495 wrote: Well......I finished the carpet install on the 2455. It was no easy task. There was lots of drama just getting the carpet to my house. I'm gonna hold off on comments on that for now. I'm waiting to see if BoatCarpetBuys.com does the right thing.
I started putting the new carpet in about noon on Saturday and finished up just after midnight. It was no easy task that's for sure. A few lessons learned:

1. The spray adhesive is much easier to work with than the glue and trowel, except that you better have it in place in about 2 seconds, and in the right place!
2. If you use the glue and trowel, the pressure of your body weight through your knees on the freshly glued floor will force the glue up through the carpet.
3. The job looks much better if you remove the interior walls, but will at least double your project time.
4. The new Jabsco head has different water outputs than in 1988. Angled up, not to the stern. Gonna need new water line to the tank. Yuck!
5. Buy the best carpet you can afford. You will get what you pay for. Or in some cases, you may not get what you pay for. You may get a lesser quality and get charged twice on your credit card. ( More on that later)

Anyways, here's some pictures. Overall, the cabin looks much better in my opinion.

The weather looks great for this wekend in North Georgia. First trip on Lake Lanier should be Sunday.

Hi WaterLoggedInGa,

I've got the same boat as you and replaced the toilet with a new Jabsco one this morning, the waste outlet comes out of the box pointing upwards but you can rotate it to any angle, better still, it's the same fit as the original from 18 years ago so I kept the original as it was still a good seal to the waste pipe. Whole job was very straight forward only taking about 15 minutes, unlike the job I had to do first (dismantling macerator to remove my other half's make up removal wipes!) :mad:

Gary

1989 Bayliner 2455
5.8L OMC Cobra

Started Carpet Project in 88 2455 Ciera SB 29 Apr 2007 18:33 #15

• WaterLoggedinGa

gary345678910;20398 wrote: Hi WaterLoggedInGa,

I've got the same boat as you and replaced the toilet with a new Jabsco one this morning, the waste outlet comes out of the box pointing upwards but you can rotate it to any angle, better still, it's the same fit as the original from 18 years ago so I kept the original as it was still a good seal to the waste pipe. Whole job was very straight forward only taking about 15 minutes, unlike the job I had to do first (dismantling macerator to remove my other half's make up removal wipes!) :mad:

Gary

Gary,

Thanks for the info. I just glanced at mine and thought I was stuck with the up angle. I'll check it again. It's been a losing battle since I installed the new head, with drips from the connections. If I can correct the angle, I think I can resolve my problems. Thank You.

Kenny 88 Ciera 2455

• Page:
Moderators: whiskywizarditsabowtime2
Time to create page: 0.132 seconds