Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: I finished converting my 2016 Bayliner 175 Bowrider to All Electric.

I finished converting my 2016 Bayliner 175 Bowrider to All Electric. 04 Jul 2016 17:22 #26

• smasterson2
  • smasterson2's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 2
It was my pleasure to post the conversion, Jim. Thank you for your kind words too. I really have no background other than being a self taught tinkerer. (Thanks to the Internet.) I credit the vendors because they truly do deserve much of the credit by creating a great product with excellent support. I feel it necessary to sing someone's praises when they are deserving. That happens so little these days. So often people focus on the negative and don't promote the positive. Thanks again Jim.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

I finished converting my 2016 Bayliner 175 Bowrider to All Electric. 04 Jul 2016 22:21 #27

• smasterson2

I am looking forward to improved battery technology in the not so distant future. insideevs.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/111-2.jpg

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Last Edit: by smasterson2. Reason: Added picture

I finished converting my 2016 Bayliner 175 Bowrider to All Electric. 04 Jul 2016 22:35 #28

• JimMc
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 259

smasterson2 wrote: It was my pleasure to post the conversion, Jim. Thank you for your kind words too. I really have no background other than being a self taught tinkerer. (Thanks to the Internet.) I credit the vendors because they truly do deserve much of the credit by creating a great product with excellent support. I feel it necessary to sing someone's praises when they are deserving. That happens so little these days. So often people focus on the negative and don't promote the positive. Thanks again Jim.

We find the negatives 10 times more likely than the positive comments in our business.

But I must bow out of respect and give you high praise for a well executed project. High Five !!

I would bet few manufacturers could have done as well on a first or second try.
The following user(s) said Thank You: smasterson2

Jim and Debbie McNeely
New Hope a 2004 Bayliner 305 Sunbridge Express Cruiser
Twin 5.7s with Bravo2 drives
Brighton, Michigan USA
MMSI # 367393410
Last Edit: by JimMc.

I finished converting my 2016 Bayliner 175 Bowrider to All Electric. 04 Jul 2016 22:40 #29

• smasterson2
Thanks again, Jim. Hope you and yours have a safe and happy 4th.

I finished converting my 2016 Bayliner 175 Bowrider to All Electric. 05 Jul 2016 15:42 #30

• Download_Complete
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 551
I saw your Youtube vids before you posted, and I am really glad to see you join. Spectacular job. I even gave Bayliner Corporate a heads up about it.

I think electric motors have a place in boats for the maintenance aspect alone, but as you say, the batteries still have a ways to go. For my use, there is too little range, but we need to start somewhere, right?

I'd hope to see this technology become common place in 10 - 15 years as the automotive battery tech advances. Electric could be a great way to reduce the cost of boats in the future, reduce maintenance, and emissions....all that the same time.

Matt Train
BOC Admin
Chicagoland, IL

I finished converting my 2016 Bayliner 175 Bowrider to All Electric. 05 Jul 2016 16:44 #31

• smasterson2
Thank you very much, Matt. Thanks for the heads up to Bayliner. I also own an all electric car. I use it as it was intended to be used; my daily driver. I am going on my third year with the vehicle and I have yet to have a single problem. I still have a second vehicle for long distance trips. I think the manufacturers should recognize a market for electric for use on smaller lakes. It's awful nice not to jump through hoops just to start my boat and to struggle with maintenance. When I go out, my start up procedure is to flip the blower switch and turn the key. That's it. When I'm done for the day, it goes back to the storage stall, I plug it in and when I come back the next time, it's charged and ready to go. I go out as many as three times a week. I would go more but I still need to make a living. I think there's a lot of "casual" boaters like myself that would enjoy care-free boating. Thanks again for your kind words, Matt. I must ad that everyone I have heard from on this forum seem to be really good people. It has been a pleasurable experience. Well done!

I finished converting my 2016 Bayliner 175 Bowrider to All Electric. 05 Jul 2016 17:11 #32

• Ruffryder
  • Thank you received: 1418
VERY COOL!

Joon, Kathy, Jaden & Tristan
93 3058
92 2855
91 Fourwinns 205
Longbranch WA
Life is Good

I finished converting my 2016 Bayliner 175 Bowrider to All Electric. 05 Jul 2016 17:14 #33

• Download_Complete
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
We work hard at that, thanks!

THe boat industry lags behind the car industry in terms of innovation by an easy 20 years. They also have smaller volumes to spread cost around, so things like adding cat converters to engines equals $4,000 on boat prices. I think it's unrealistic to expect boats to adopt electrification until over 40% of new cars are EVs (with the infrastructure to match). Then you will have lower battery costs and electric motor costs. That being said, you just proved that it's a no-brainer to mate to existing drives and machinery. That's a huge hurdle!

Matt Train
BOC Admin
Chicagoland, IL

I finished converting my 2016 Bayliner 175 Bowrider to All Electric. 05 Jul 2016 18:49 #34

• Nikko
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 59
Nice work! Love (LOVE) the innovation and the fact that you have the gonads to actually try it - impressed all-round...!!

totally agree there's a market for electric power in boats - day boats obviously, but there's lot out there. Here's hoping Bayliner sat up and is taking note...

Past Commander, Seymour Power and Sail Squadron
Current instructor North Shore Power and Sail Squadron

I finished converting my 2016 Bayliner 175 Bowrider to All Electric. 05 Jul 2016 19:28 #35

• smasterson2
Thanks Nikko! I think you just became my new best buddy. I appreciate your insight to day boat applications. Thanks again.

I finished converting my 2016 Bayliner 175 Bowrider to All Electric. 05 Jul 2016 22:58 #36

• green650
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 382
What do the batteries weigh?
Would it be feasible to have 2-3 battery packs that you swap out when you are going low? Pull into a boat house where you have a lift to swap batteries.

I finished converting my 2016 Bayliner 175 Bowrider to All Electric. 05 Jul 2016 23:30 #37

• smasterson2
green650,
The batteries weigh 42lbs. They are 3.2Kwh modules. I am using 10 of them. Here is a link to the product for more information. www.evwest.com/catalog/product_info.php?...t1k618cgdt2p1fivri92
These modules, with very little modification, could easily be swapped in and out. I had that thought myself. I envision being able to pull into the marina, do a 5 minute swap, and back out you go.

I finished converting my 2016 Bayliner 175 Bowrider to All Electric. 12 Aug 2016 23:26 #38

• smasterson2
Nathaniel with Electrek.co was super kind in writing an article about my 2016 Bayliner 175 conversion to electric. It's nice when a publication takes the time to write about some guy who put something different together in his garage vs the usual big boy pandering. Thanks Nathaniel.
electrek.co/2016/08/11/enthusiast-builds...sla-battery-modules/

I finished converting my 2016 Bayliner 175 Bowrider to All Electric. 15 Aug 2016 19:08 #39

• smasterson2
Hats off to yet another information blog, "autoblog", with the guts to do more than just pander to the big manufacturers. Most of us want real, cutting edge, information, not a glorified advertisement for someone who pays for ad space. Thanks AutoBlog!

www.autoblog.com/2016/08/14/electric-bay...ders-green-car-laws/

Last Edit: by smasterson2.

I finished converting my 2016 Bayliner 175 Bowrider to All Electric. 15 Aug 2016 19:22 #40

• itsabowtime2
  • Thank you received: 351
This really is amazing and demonstrates that something like this can be a functional, viable alternative.

Phil, Vicky, Ashleigh & Sydney
1998 3055 Ciera
(yes, a 1998)
Previous boat: 1993 3055
Dream boat: 70' Azimut or Astondoa 72
Sea Doo XP
Sea Doo GTI SE
Life is short. Boats are cool.
The family that plays together stays together.
Vice Commodore: Bellevue Yacht Club

I finished converting my 2016 Bayliner 175 Bowrider to All Electric. 15 Aug 2016 20:16 #41

• smasterson2
There are two news sites that have recently posted articles about the 2016 Bayliner 175 I converted to All Electric. I think it's really cool when news sites publish something truly informational about something that some guy built in his garage vs pandering to the big boys by writing commercials packaged in the form of an informational article. Hats off to these folks and people like them for truly sharing information in all forms.

Here are the articles:
electrek.co/2016/08/11/enthusiast-builds...sla-battery-modules/

I thought you might find this interesting.

Scott Masterson

I finished converting my 2016 Bayliner 175 Bowrider to All Electric. 15 Aug 2016 20:47 #42

• canoel
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 669
I recently watched a news video with your boat on it. Great work!!
I am sure you have thought of this, but some hybrids, such as the BMW I3, have a small generator that is used to extend range, and use in case one finds oneself without enough charge to get home.
As far as the range, we have been looking at the Greenline hybrid/electric boats. They offer a similar range to yours 25-40 miles per charge. While this does not sound like much range, when we really look at how far we cruise in a day of fishing, or cruising, a 25 mile range would be close to adequate.
Again thank you, for sharing your project, and we look forward to seeing more from you in the future.

Joel
1987 3818 Hino 175
"Knotty Girl"
Prince Rupert B.C.

I finished converting my 2016 Bayliner 175 Bowrider to All Electric. 16 Aug 2016 04:41 #43

• smasterson2
Thank you for the kind words. I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Scott

I finished converting my 2016 Bayliner 175 Bowrider to All Electric. 16 Aug 2016 12:12 #44

• litch
  • Thank you received: 4
I thought I had posted here already, but if not - I just wanted to say great job, I love the idea. I've been thinking about this for a few years, and seeing just how close it is to being a reality is inspiring.

The great news is, it will only get more practical - less expensive and better range! So thanks for being a trailblazer.

And like above, I think it would be great to run a small generator on board as well for some backup use cases. Also, I know on your boat there's not a great place for solar, but on larger boats that becomes pretty interesting too.

Quick question - what speed do you use to calculate the 25 mile range?

1989 Bayliner 2655 Sunbridge
OMC 460
Still trying to figure out other attributes

I finished converting my 2016 Bayliner 175 Bowrider to All Electric. 16 Aug 2016 12:34 #45

• montagc
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 35
Very cool project. i was wondering if you've tried different props or researched outdrive gearing options to better use the torque of the motors and/or get more range?

88 Capri 2150 305 OMC
91 and 93 Yamaha Waverunner III 650
Cincinnati, OH

I finished converting my 2016 Bayliner 175 Bowrider to All Electric. 16 Aug 2016 15:19 #46

• Download_Complete
  • Administrator
  • Administrator

smasterson2 wrote: Hats off to yet another information blog, "autoblog", with the guts to do more than just pander to the big manufacturers. Most of us want real, cutting edge, information, not a glorified advertisement for someone who pays for ad space. Thanks AutoBlog!

I actually know the guys at Autoblog. They are excellent. I bought a 1991 Taurus SHO off the former editor in chief...the car in this story, in fact:

www.autoblog.com/2009/09/14/review-2010-...gainst-the-original/

This image is hidden for guests.

Mine:

This image is hidden for guests.

Matt Train
BOC Admin
Chicagoland, IL
Last Edit: by Download_Complete.

I finished converting my 2016 Bayliner 175 Bowrider to All Electric. 16 Aug 2016 16:42 #47

• smasterson2

litch wrote: I thought I had posted here already, but if not - I just wanted to say great job, I love the idea. I've been thinking about this for a few years, and seeing just how close it is to being a reality is inspiring.

The great news is, it will only get more practical - less expensive and better range! So thanks for being a trailblazer.

And like above, I think it would be great to run a small generator on board as well for some backup use cases. Also, I know on your boat there's not a great place for solar, but on larger boats that becomes pretty interesting too.

Quick question - what speed do you use to calculate the 25 mile range?

Thank you very much. The 25 mile range speed is 25mph. It works out to be the most efficient, around 3,000 RPM.

I finished converting my 2016 Bayliner 175 Bowrider to All Electric. 16 Aug 2016 16:44 #48

• smasterson2

montagc wrote: Very cool project. i was wondering if you've tried different props or researched outdrive gearing options to better use the torque of the motors and/or get more range?

Thank you. No, I have not researched different props. I used the original prop that was intended for use on the 3.0 Mercruiser.

I finished converting my 2016 Bayliner 175 Bowrider to All Electric. 16 Aug 2016 16:48 #49

• smasterson2
Pretty cool SHO. Thanks for sharing. I recently sold my 2007 Shelby GT Mustang that I supercharged. 441 at the wheels, 499 lbs of torque. I miss that car.

I finished converting my 2016 Bayliner 175 Bowrider to All Electric. 16 Aug 2016 16:49 #50

• canoel
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 669
With the wide torque curve that an electric motor has, I wonder about your next project if you have considered going with a straight shaft?
Without the gearing, etc, it may be more efficient.

Joel
1987 3818 Hino 175
"Knotty Girl"
Prince Rupert B.C.
Moderators: whiskywizarditsabowtime2
Time to create page: 0.149 seconds