Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: I finished converting my 2016 Bayliner 175 Bowrider to All Electric.

I finished converting my 2016 Bayliner 175 Bowrider to All Electric. 04 Jul 2016 02:52 #1

• smasterson2
  • smasterson2's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 2
I bought the boat brand new, pulled a zero hours, brand new 3.0 Mercruiser and put it on a pallet. Here are two links to video.
The first is the boat cruising effortlessly at 25mph.

The second is a walk around showing components.

Please let me know what you think. Let me go ahead and answer most of the questions I am typically asked:
"What is the range?" The boat can travel a total of 25 miles.
"What is the max speed? 50+mph.
"How long does it take to charge?" At 120V, 15 hours; at 240V, 5 hours.
Feel free to ask any questions you wish and enjoy the videos.

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Macaw586

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

I finished converting my 2016 Bayliner 175 Bowrider to All Electric. 04 Jul 2016 03:32 #2

• builderdude
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • "THE FIX"
  • Thank you received: 805
Cool project. IMO 25 miles per charge wouldn't cut it for most guys. Was there any weight savings going to electric?
The following user(s) said Thank You: smasterson2

Dave
Edmonds, WA
"THE FIX"
'93 2556 5.7 Bravo II 2.0:1 18 1/4x19 P
.030 over-Vortec top end-part closed cooled
***The rebuild of my 2556***
www.baylinerownersclub.org/index.php/for...ansom-repair-my-2556

I finished converting my 2016 Bayliner 175 Bowrider to All Electric. 04 Jul 2016 03:54 #3

• Nauti Mike
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Perry Hall, MD
  • Thank you received: 356
Interesting project.

How much did the conversion cost? So 2 smart cars are now unusable without batteries?

I see lots of unprotected buss bars that should be covered.

Not much range between charges I guess a gas electric conversion completely from a smart car would seem more practical IMO.

1997 Maxum 2400 SCR 5.7LX Bravo II

Mike

I finished converting my 2016 Bayliner 175 Bowrider to All Electric. 04 Jul 2016 03:56 #4

• smasterson2
Thanks builderdude. The weight savings was replaced by batteries. Pretty much a wash. My use for the boat, as I think most people use a 17 1/2 foot bowrider, is for recreation like shoot over to the beach, bop over to popular hangouts and eateries on the water. There is more than enough power to pull wakeboarder, skiers and the like. I can't tell you how much more I enjoy boating now. No more starting problems, maintenance issues, noise, vibration, smell, fighting others to fill up, etc. It is quite a different experience. Thanks for taking the time to reply.

I finished converting my 2016 Bayliner 175 Bowrider to All Electric. 04 Jul 2016 04:05 #5

• smasterson2
Thanks Mike. A typical conversion costs between $10,000 to $35,000, depending on your power requirements and desired range. Once it's done though, the maintenance list gets real short. Operation becomes a lot less of a hassle from starting issues to repairs and no more fighting everyone else at the pump to fill up. For me, it was worth every penny. Thanks for the reply. Did you see both video's? I hope you enjoyed them. Thanks again for taking the time.

I finished converting my 2016 Bayliner 175 Bowrider to All Electric. 04 Jul 2016 04:11 #6

• Nauti Mike
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Perry Hall, MD

smasterson2 wrote: Thanks Mike. A typical conversion costs between $10,000 to $35,000, depending on your power requirements and desired range. Once it's done though, the maintenance list gets real short. Operation becomes a lot less of a hassle from starting issues to repairs and no more fighting everyone else at the pump to fill up. For me, it was worth every penny. Thanks for the reply. Did you see both video's? I hope you enjoyed them. Thanks again for taking the time.

Yes I saw both videos which is where is saw the uncovered buss bars. She has plenty of power but is range limited IMO. An all electric car would have much greater range as it just has to overcome rolling resistance while a boat is under heavy load all the time which is why the range is limited.

Hey as long as your happy. Thanks for sharing your project.

Mike

I finished converting my 2016 Bayliner 175 Bowrider to All Electric. 04 Jul 2016 05:55 #7

• doityourselfer
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 41
I say good job!! it faster than my trolling motor Its still got a ways to go but that's a good start you got to crawl before you walk, sure lots of jibs and jabs but wish i would of thought about . Make that baby so you can hang it off the back like a outboard i bet you could sell them faster. But for guys who like to dump money into a hole its perfect !
Don

I am a wannabe boat flipper I love feeding the hole in the water with my cash and wit. project now 1984 2450 ciera sunbridge Volvo Penta 5.7/290 drive Need to finish and move on to the next one until i get the boat i want to keep.

I finished converting my 2016 Bayliner 175 Bowrider to All Electric. 04 Jul 2016 05:58 #8

• doityourselfer
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 41
Make it a hydrofoil less drag.
Don

I am a wannabe boat flipper I love feeding the hole in the water with my cash and wit. project now 1984 2450 ciera sunbridge Volvo Penta 5.7/290 drive Need to finish and move on to the next one until i get the boat i want to keep.

I finished converting my 2016 Bayliner 175 Bowrider to All Electr 04 Jul 2016 06:53 #9

• Castaway
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 58
I love this idea and to see electric technology advancing. I'd love to see it become a cost-effective alternative to internal combustion with its simplicity and smoothness.

Bryan
1997 2858 7.4 B2
1992 Hewescraft
Puyallup, WA

I finished converting my 2016 Bayliner 175 Bowrider to All Electric. 04 Jul 2016 14:25 #10

• Waking Memories
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 53

smasterson2 wrote: Thanks Mike. A typical conversion costs between $10,000 to $35,000, depending on your power requirements and desired range. Once it's done though, the maintenance list gets real short. Operation becomes a lot less of a hassle from starting issues to repairs and no more fighting everyone else at the pump to fill up. For me, it was worth every penny. Thanks for the reply. Did you see both video's? I hope you enjoyed them. Thanks again for taking the time.

Hard for me to buy into spending up to $35000 and use less maintenance and waiting a few minutes for fuel at the pump as a reason to justify. On the other hand that is one friggen cool mod! Would love to see more pics showing the modification process. Nice job!

2012 185 4.3l
Last Edit: by Waking Memories.

I finished converting my 2016 Bayliner 175 Bowrider to All Electric. 04 Jul 2016 14:33 #11

• smasterson2
Thank you, Don. I actually did an outboard conversion for my pontoon boat a few years ago. I still use it once a week. Here are some links:

I finished converting my 2016 Bayliner 175 Bowrider to All Electric. 04 Jul 2016 14:35 #12

• smasterson2
I had the same thought about a hydrofoil.

I finished converting my 2016 Bayliner 175 Bowrider to All Electr 04 Jul 2016 14:45 #13

• smasterson2
Thanks Bryan. The weak link is the batteries. Everything else, like the motor, is lighter, more efficient and has a lower cost of ownership by far. When the batteries have the same power to weight density as petrol, the game will change. The initial cost will likely always be more but once the investment is made, that battery pack is good for thousands of "fill-ups", (recharges). In the case of a recreational boat, that is a lifetime of service.

I finished converting my 2016 Bayliner 175 Bowrider to All Electric. 04 Jul 2016 15:03 #14

• smasterson2
Thanks for the kinds words. I should have took more pictures. Here's what I do have.

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

I finished converting my 2016 Bayliner 175 Bowrider to All Electric. 04 Jul 2016 15:16 #15

• Nauti Mike
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Perry Hall, MD
Electric cars and boats have been around for nearly 100 years and the battery technology has always been the short coming. It has improved but still far away from getting rid of fossil fuels.

A maintance aspect you may not have considered is all those electrical connections. A boat kept in the water is prone to corrosion and the pounding environment can loosen connections.

Mike

I finished converting my 2016 Bayliner 175 Bowrider to All Electric. 04 Jul 2016 15:57 #16

• Macaw586
  • Thank you received: 7
Back around 2000 Sportcraft built a twin electric powered twin Mercury Jet-Drive boat in the 272 class

I remember it because that is the boat Sportcraft brought "specially" to Lake St Clair (they launched and recovered at our dealership) when Robert F Kennedy Jr (Waterkeeper Alliance) visited the Great Lakes and toured our lighthouses and the St Clair River from Port Huron to Detroit. Don't know what happened to that boat or the technology but is sure was nice to see what you have done to that 175.

Keep up the good work, and as previously stated you have to crawl before you get up and walk

waterkeeper.org/staff-member/robert-f-kennedy-jr/

SSgt (E-6) USMC Retired
1975-1997
1st Enlistment) MACS-7 Operations, MAG-38, 3rd MAW
2nd until retirement) 1st ANGLICO, 31 MEU FMF-Pacific
Busted two times (E-8 back to E-6, and E-7 back to E-6) NJP
"Take me to the Brig and show me the real MARINES" Chesty Puller

I finished converting my 2016 Bayliner 175 Bowrider to All Electric. 04 Jul 2016 16:12 #17

• johnep
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 27
That is very cool! I think it makes sense seeing boats 25 years old are still being used. The cost over that period would put things in the plus column. Great job and thanks for sharing.

I finished converting my 2016 Bayliner 175 Bowrider to All Electric. 04 Jul 2016 16:12 #18

• smasterson2
Great point about the electrical connections, Mike. I thought about that during the build. All the battery modules are bolted on both ends. All other connections, like the bus bars, are also bolted down. I gave all connections a liberal coating of electrical grease. I also store the boat in an enclosed structure and it is never left to suffer the elements. I think all boats, ICE or Electric, deserve the same treatment where practical. Thanks again.

I finished converting my 2016 Bayliner 175 Bowrider to All Electric. 04 Jul 2016 16:18 #19

• itsabowtime2
  • Away
  • Thank you received: 351
From a pure modification standpoint this has got to be in the top 5 I have seen.

Did you do the work yourself?

I can see a market for this, especially if battery technology can advance enough to double to quadruple the range. Even if just doubled it opens up a realm of possibilities.

Phil, Vicky, Ashleigh & Sydney
1998 3055 Ciera
(yes, a 1998)
Previous boat: 1993 3055
Dream boat: 70' Azimut or Astondoa 72
Sea Doo XP
Sea Doo GTI SE
Life is short. Boats are cool.
The family that plays together stays together.
Vice Commodore: Bellevue Yacht Club

I finished converting my 2016 Bayliner 175 Bowrider to All Electric. 04 Jul 2016 16:31 #20

• smasterson2
Thank you so much Macaw586! You are sure right about the crawl before you walk thing. Hopefully there will be a greater demand in time to help improve the battery technology and drive the cost down. Thanks again.

I finished converting my 2016 Bayliner 175 Bowrider to All Electric. 04 Jul 2016 16:37 #21

• smasterson2
Thank you, johnep. I am betting on this project taking me to the plus column. Hope my gamble pays off. If it doesn't, I had a great time getting there.

I finished converting my 2016 Bayliner 175 Bowrider to All Electric. 04 Jul 2016 16:46 #22

• smasterson2
Thank you, Phil! (I think I'm blushing.) Yes, I did the work myself. It was surprisingly easy. The guys at HPEV's took a lot of the complicated wiring and programing out of the equation. There tech support was first rate. Here is a link to the wiring diagram: hpevs.com/Site/images/jpeg/Schematics/Ma..._320%20up%20reva.pdf
Here is a link to the plumbing path: hpevs.com/Site/images/boat%20docs/oil%20...lumbing%204-1-15.pdf
Here is a link to the motor specs: hpevs.com/HPEVS-AC-Electric-Marine-Motor...led-Dual-AC34-35.htm
Performance curves are there too. Hope you enjoy it. Thanks again.
The following user(s) said Thank You: JimMc

I finished converting my 2016 Bayliner 175 Bowrider to All Electric. 04 Jul 2016 17:01 #23

• Knot Happy
  • Hmmmm
  • Thank you received: 27
That is really awesome, I take on projects like yours for the learning opportunity they bring and the satisfaction of accomplishment of something novel ( at least novel to me) I know others are out there that would consider that far more of a return than the economics. Thanks for sharing.

4788 PH 2001, Cummins 370's
2355 C Express, 1996 5L
17ft Cobra, 1985, 125HP

I just need two more feet ;-)

I finished converting my 2016 Bayliner 175 Bowrider to All Electric. 04 Jul 2016 17:01 #24

• JimMc
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 259
smasterson2

Thank you or posting this VERY COOL and WELL DONE project boat.

I know you credit the vendors but I must ask your background as this is such a successful accomplishment.

Jim and Debbie McNeely
New Hope a 2004 Bayliner 305 Sunbridge Express Cruiser
Twin 5.7s with Bravo2 drives
Brighton, Michigan USA
MMSI # 367393410

I finished converting my 2016 Bayliner 175 Bowrider to All Electric. 04 Jul 2016 17:15 #25

• smasterson2
Thank you Knot Happy. This world needs more folks like you that put learning, pioneering and satisfaction of accomplishment over spending a few dollars. Sometimes it's not about money. For some of us, it can even be a legacy. It was my pleasure to share this. I hope you saw the links in the reply to itsabowtime2. It's interesting reading.

Moderators: whiskywizarditsabowtime2
Time to create page: 0.144 seconds