TOPIC: Manicooler overhaul on Hino 110

Manicooler overhaul on Hino 110 29 Jun 2016 16:08 #1

• Mr. Darcy
  • Mr. Darcy's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Love to fish for tuna
  • Thank you received: 170
Here are some pictures of the project. Ceramic coating done by Finishline Coatings in Milwaukie, Oregon. They also did the exhaust riser and connector. Beautiful work. The insides were done with a material that is rated better for contact with coolant than the cerachrome on the outside. Doing two different materials was a little more expensive than the way Performance Coatings does, but no shipping or trip to the north were involved.

Greg

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Newport, Oregon
South Beach Marina
1986 3270 with twin 110 HP Hino diesels. Name of boat "Mr. Darcy"
Past work history: Prototyping, tooling, and repair for Reinell,. General fiberglass boat repair starting in 1976.
Also worked as heavy equipment mechanic, and machinery mechanic for over 30 years....
Last Edit: by Mr. Darcy.

Manicooler overhaul on Hino 110 29 Jun 2016 16:10 #2

• smitty477
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 966
Beautiful job - I believe you will want to remove the coating(s) from the gasket mating areas.

Northport NY

Manicooler overhaul on Hino 110 29 Jun 2016 16:17 #3

• Mr. Darcy
  • Mr. Darcy's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Love to fish for tuna
  • Thank you received: 170
It is actually smother than it looks in the photos. I used a fibrous exhaust gasket instead of the metal type. Used gaskets and sealant (carefully so as to keep it from getting inside) on the rest. It is working great. Have about four hours on it so far. Thanks for the compliment.

Greg

Newport, Oregon
South Beach Marina
1986 3270 with twin 110 HP Hino diesels. Name of boat "Mr. Darcy"
Past work history: Prototyping, tooling, and repair for Reinell,. General fiberglass boat repair starting in 1976.
Also worked as heavy equipment mechanic, and machinery mechanic for over 30 years....
Last Edit: by Mr. Darcy.

Manicooler overhaul on Hino 110 29 Jun 2016 16:25 #4

• smitty477
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 966
Hello Greg - I did not intend to mean it was not smooth enough but the contrary.

I do not know what others have done after ceramic coating but I roughened up the surfaces aggressively before using sealants or gaskets on the mating areas. I do not know what Earl recommends or if I am unintentionally making you worry about something that will not be an issue.
Just that I had roughened the surfaces up in my applications.

Great job

Northport NY

Manicooler overhaul on Hino 110 29 Jun 2016 16:51 #5

• Craig9409
  • Thank you received: 0
I did this project about 4 years ago. It's holding up well. Obviously I haven't removed the mani-coolers and looked inside but I'm betting all is well. I use the Honda brand no silicate coolant. I change it every other season. I did not mess with the gasket surfaces. The coating was very smooth. No issues to date. I had the mani-coolers, my aftermarket dry risers, aft end caps and my turbo crossover tubes (just for looks) done at Performance Coatings. I had no pitting in the mani-coolers. It's also a good time to do all the hoses, o-rings, gaskets, and using a .22 cal cleaning rod with a like sized bore brush I gave all the tubes in the bundles a good brushing. Don't forget to replace the radiator caps. 7 pound if I recall. The engines run nice and cool. I also rebuilt the Johnson pumps and I bonded them to the license plate. I inspect them every spring as I had a bunch of broken impeller blades (previous owner and poor diligence) inside the intake side of the port mani-cooler that always made that side run a little warmer. I was glad to find those and get them out of there. I replace the pump impellers every time I do the anti-freeze weather they need it or not. I don't want any more blades in the coolant path.

• Page:
Moderators: whiskywizarditsabowtime2
Time to create page: 0.079 seconds