Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: 1976 Bayliner (1850) Mystic? Tri Hull Restoration (On Going)

1976 Bayliner (1850) Mystic? Tri Hull Restoration (On Going) 28 Jun 2016 17:08 #1

• p42juno
  • p42juno's Avatar Topic Author
  • What did I get myself into!
  • Thank you received: 1
Hello Everyone,

First off, sorry for the bad grammar. :)

This is my first post on the forum. I wanted to share my project that I have been working on by myself for over a year. So this boat had been sitting in my father's backyard for about a year. He at one time owned the boat but sold it to a step sibling. Because it was left in the yard without a cover. It wasn't going anywhere and I have never owned a boat before and I decided to take it off my step siblings hands and started what I thought would be an easy project. I found out pretty quickly that when you leave something int the winter without a cover. It causes a whole mess of problems. Originally it started out with the engine that was not working. I got it out of the back yard and started working on it. I found that there was a leak in one of the carbs. It was pushing gas out of the vacuum seal, so I ended up pretty much restoring the 3 Solex carbs.

I was told that it wasn't running very well when it was last on the water. I checked all the wires and everything else that I could see on the engine. I found that the spark plug wires on the distributor cap end were corroded. When it was running it was pretty much just firing on 3 cylinders. So I cleaned all the contacts and put the carbs back on and fired it up. I have to say that this engine sounds SOOOO sweet. My father couldn't believe how it sounded because it had never sounded like that from when he first purchased it. While I was letting the engine run and getting excited to put this baby in the water I started seeing water spewing out from under the exhaust manifold. I started to investigate and found that it was a freeze plug that popped out. I was disappointed that I had to do more work but I have replaced freeze plugs before and it wasn't going to be that hard. This is where the project ended up turning into a complete restore.

My father told me that he had a guy work on the engine a while back to replace the freeze plugs. After I got the intake and the exhaust manifolds off I couldn't believe what I was looking at. This so called mechanic ended up putting and old plug back in and then put a new plug that was just a little bit smaller over the hold one and put some epoxy over it to hold it in there. That could have killed someone IMO and that mechanic is a POS. Anyway, I guess he paid the guy like 300 dollars to change the plugs out and tune it up. I guess that's why I always watch the person work or have them show me what I did. At this time I just decided to say screw it and started ripping everything out of the boat. I didn't want to endanger the life of my friends and family with this thing when I didn't know what else was wrong with it. I wanted to make sure that I knew EVERYTHING that is now my boat.

As I started to tear everything out I found some soft spots in the floor. I knew that it was rot and so I tore the whole floor up. I found out that most of the stringers were rotted out and needed to be replaced. I ended up leaving the engine bay because I didn't want to mess with it if I didn't have to. Well after pulling the engine and tapping a hammer to the engine mount I decided to pull it as well. Everyone told me that I shouldn't take it out but I'm really glad I did. After pulling it out, I found that what used to be a block of wood was now mulch for a garden.

At this point, I'm so close to getting this baby in the water. I can't wait to go fishing!!!

I will be adding pictures and I have a whole lot of them. I have a couple of videos as well that I will link.,

If any of you have any pictures of what this boat used to look like I would be happy if you could share them with me. I tried to get information from Bayliner on this thing and they couldn't even tell me what model it is. I believe that it's a 1976 or 77 1850 mystic. It has the Volvo Penta AQ 170 B 6cyl and a 280 outdrive.

Here are some of the photos!

goo.gl/photos/Pm7L8optW5cGEFSo8

Working on the engine:

First engine start!

Enjoy!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last Edit: by p42juno. Reason: Added some links

1976 Bayliner (1850) Mystic? Tri Hull Restoration (On Going) 28 Jun 2016 17:34 #2

• kevinv123
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 41
Very nice!
The following user(s) said Thank You: p42juno

1986 Contessa Sunbridge 2850 Twin AQ225D/280's
"Miss Guided"
Jewel Pint Marina,
Harrison Twp, MI

1976 Bayliner (1850) Mystic? Tri Hull Restoration (On Going) 07 Jul 2016 19:34 #3

• p42juno
Hello All,

I have added more pictures to my google picture gallery. Getting closer and closer to putting this baby on the water!! :)

Photo Gallery
The following user(s) said Thank You: CapMartin

Last Edit: by p42juno.

1976 Bayliner (1850) Mystic? Tri Hull Restoration (On Going) 07 Jul 2016 20:20 #4

• Ruffryder
  • Thank you received: 1418
Nicely done!

Joon, Kathy, Jaden & Tristan
93 3058
92 2855
91 Fourwinns 205
Longbranch WA
Life is Good

1976 Bayliner (1850) Mystic? Tri Hull Restoration (On Going) 07 Jul 2016 20:41 #5

• CapMartin
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 107
Great to see every steps of that great project!
Makes me feel that my boat is not that much maintenance after all...
Thanks for sharing!

CapMartin, Montréal
"Belle de Dalhousie"
1986 3270
Volvo BB225B

1976 Bayliner (1850) Mystic? Tri Hull Restoration (On Going) 08 Jul 2016 16:46 #6

• tower3218
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 28
Wow!!! Quite the project. I'm sure you'll enjoy it all the more after you're done.

Greg A.
1994 4788
"Simplicity"
2002 Capri 175
"Little GFI"
Boat on the Sac/San Joaquin Delta

1976 Bayliner (1850) Mystic? Tri Hull Restoration (On Going) 11 Jul 2016 07:30 #7

• SRT8
  • Thank you received: 6
:silly: sweet project, I see that you used steel expansion plugs in the engine block any reason no brass ones?

2003 Bayliner 185 4.3 Mercruiser , 60lbs Smart Tabs :lol:

1976 Bayliner (1850) Mystic? Tri Hull Restoration (On Going) 11 Jul 2016 15:58 #8

• nwboater62
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 78
Very nice!!! I had that same motor and drive in a 24' Saratoga. It was a runner - once you got the carbs dialed in.

Ted G
81 2555 Saratoga Sun Bridge
5.7 Volvo 290 DP OD

1976 Bayliner (1850) Mystic? Tri Hull Restoration (On Going) 12 Jul 2016 21:52 #9

• p42juno
They were the only ones I could find for a decent price. I ended up replacing them with steel cups instead.

1976 Bayliner (1850) Mystic? Tri Hull Restoration (On Going) 12 Jul 2016 22:00 #10

• p42juno
Finished the main seats. Now I need to rebuild the boxes because they are a little rotted as well. I'm so close to being ready to go fishing :)

1976 Bayliner (1850) Mystic? Tri Hull Restoration (On Going) 04 Aug 2016 18:28 #11

• p42juno
-- Status Update --

1.Build new seat boxes. fiberglassed them and painted them white.
2. Ending up getting the stereo installed and purchased some new gauge's because I ended up have a bunch of grounding issues with the old ones. I like the new ones a lot better.
3. I built some new seats in the back. I made them so they could fold forward if I need to get in the back. I eventually want to make some inserts that can go under the seats to put stuff in.
4. I had to also build custom seat cushions for the back seat frames that I built
5 Bought a new bimini top and installed it.
6. sanded down the boat 3 times with different grits. Then I took the buffer and polished her up a bit. ( I plan on repainting it next year so I wanted to shine it up a bit ).
7. I installed the newly reupholstered seats in the front and installed the rails after shining them up a bit.

-- Next up --
1. I need to make the front, left and right side pieces for underneath the bow seats.
2. clean up my huge mess that I have made :)
3. Do some minor trim attachments .
4. Rivot buttons onto the hull and then make some new covers
5. I'm sure I'll find something else I need to do.. :)

Anyway, Enjoy and thanks for checking out my project :)

New Pictures!

1976 Bayliner (1850) Mystic? Tri Hull Restoration (On Going) 04 Aug 2016 19:52 #12

• TigerBoat
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 34
Amazing restore! :cheer:

2016 75hp Element 160 w/ Smart Tabs & Sponson Drains
  • Page:
Moderators: whiskywizarditsabowtime2
Time to create page: 0.121 seconds