Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: New Bomar hatch for the 2452 . . I'm done . . . for now . . .

New Bomar hatch for the 2452 . . I'm done . . . for now . . . 14 Jun 2016 23:28 #1

• Dadrock33
  • Dadrock33's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • SE of York, PA
  • Thank you received: 71
Yeah, final project for this year . . . . the old hatch was pretty well done in . . . edges cracked, mold growing in between the plates, loose screws in the hold-up rods (stripped) and no screen. So, the Admiral made the fatal error of saying "wish we could get a new hatch for the front" ("bow" to the rest of us) . . . so, presto, Dadrock made it happen . . . wasn't as easy as I had thought though. Cutting freehand with a jig saw isn't my forte' and, while it does look good, so I cut it "minimally" just to make sure it wouldn't look like some dweb did it. . . . . so then I cut again . . . measured and marked it . . . and cut again . . and sanded . . . and double checked the fit . . . and cut . . . and sanded . . . . and, HEY, it fits!!
This is the original . . .

removed original and started in doing the deed . . .

Used more caulk than I should have, I'm sure . . . . the trim ring is around the outside of the actual hatch frame so it had to go in first and "be sealed" (from the inside and up) . . . screwed them in so it wouldn't move (more caulk) . . . then had to remove and redo cause the hatch wouldn't fit in the ring properly . . . finally got it . . . last bit to do is remove the paper . . . and VOILA!!

I'll let her "cook" for a couple of days whilst I go drive around the countryside for my "boat-n-beer" job in new trucks and then I'll start in cleaning the whole boat so maybe I can splash on Saturday!!

EDIT: I'm going to go the Poli-Glow route this year so today I poli-ox'ed the hull . . . wow, what a difference . . . already . . . will put the good stuff on in a couple of days . . .

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1998 Avanti 3685 - "Dad's Dream" w 454 Mercs - just a rockin' an'a rollin'
Former - "Home Aweigh" 2003 - 2452 Bayliner Cierra Classic Hardtop Cruiser
WQQM835 MMSI: 338147209
James H. Stradling
Last Edit: by Dadrock33.

New Bomar hatch for the 2452 . . I'm done . . . for now . . . 15 Jun 2016 06:49 #2

• ILGVARS
  • Riga ; Latvia
  • Thank you received: 19
looks good .
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dadrock33

ILGVARS
" DREAM CHASER "
1999 BAYLINER CIERA 2452
Hyundai SeasAll S 270 S diesel
BRAVO II X SSP
2016 VOLVO XC 90
www.hct.lv

New Bomar hatch for the 2452 . . I'm done . . . for now . . . 15 Jun 2016 13:10 #3

• Go Aweigh2452
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Olalla, WA
  • Thank you received: 534
Looks great... Does the new hatch also have a inside cover to prevent night lights coming into the berth?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dadrock33

Doug ;}
MMSI: 338068776
"Go Aweigh to" Photos < click on red letters... 2001 Bayliner 2452 w/6.2 HO (paid for)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

New Bomar hatch for the 2452 . . I'm done . . . for now . . . 15 Jun 2016 15:10 #4

• Back2Water
  • Thank you received: 19
Hey Dadrock - would you mind posting the stats you used to order the hatch and where you purchased it from? I'm not there yet, but anticipate I will need a new hatch here in the next several years.

Thanks!

David W. PDX, OR
2002 Bayliner 2452XE Ciera
5.0L Mercruiser (carbed) w/ A1 gen 2 drive
(14.5"x15" 4-blade Solas Aluminum Prop)
1984 2070 Explorer w/ Alaskan Bulkhead (SOLD)

New Bomar hatch for the 2452 . . I'm done . . . for now . . . 16 Jun 2016 00:54 #5

• Dadrock33
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • SE of York, PA

Go Aweigh2452 wrote: Looks great... Does the new hatch also have a inside cover to prevent night lights coming into the berth?

Actually, no Doug . . . interesting that you should mention it though cause she asked about that too . . .. figure I'll find some of that "stuff" (can't remember the name - you made sunscreens for your 2452) or come up with something else that is opaque

James H. Stradling

New Bomar hatch for the 2452 . . I'm done . . . for now . . . 16 Jun 2016 01:05 #6

• Dadrock33
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • SE of York, PA

Back2Water wrote: Hey Dadrock - would you mind posting the stats you used to order the hatch and where you purchased it from? I'm not there yet, but anticipate I will need a new hatch here in the next several years.

Thanks!

Here's the link to the site at Boat Outfitters . . . . www.boatoutfitters.com/build-your-own-cu...-starboard-boat-door

I spec'd a 17.5" wide X 24" tall access door hinged on the left (even though the original was hinged on the right - and yes, it does make a difference when you spec which side the hinge is on {I tried to reverse it and it could've worked but didn't look as neat or proportional as it should've when properly mounted with the hinge on the left} . . . also no locking latch, white on white, no bulb seal . . . . when you fill out the specs, you'll see the price . . . . . and trust me, I've looked long and hard to find one cheaper and yes, they're out there but not at those measurements and in truth, just not as good and proper as one like this . . . I'm extremely happy with the product I received and the way it fit . . . don't think I'd change a thing.

James H. Stradling
Last Edit: by Dadrock33.

New Bomar hatch for the 2452 . . I'm done . . . for now . . . 16 Jun 2016 01:37 #7

• Go Aweigh2452
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Olalla, WA
  • Thank you received: 534
Dad...super phifertex... and all you need to do is fold over the edges and sew with a regular sewing machine. I would then either stitch velcro or put in 4 snaps to keep it up from the inside to block out light. I am leaning toward snaps as they will probably last longer...

Doug ;}
MMSI: 338068776
"Go Aweigh to" Photos < click on red letters... 2001 Bayliner 2452 w/6.2 HO (paid for)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

New Bomar hatch for the 2452 . . I'm done . . . for now . . . 17 Jun 2016 00:42 #8

• Dadrock33
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • SE of York, PA
Yep . . . that's it . . . phifertex . . . thinking of doing that for the side windows as well . . could back out the screws (may need to get longer ones) and attach a "guide" to the screw . . then sew elastic cord into the phifertex so it'll stretch over the window area . . . yep, that should work . . thanks.

James H. Stradling
  • Page:
Moderators: whiskywizarditsabowtime2
Time to create page: 0.093 seconds