Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: 2012 185 Front Speakers

2012 185 Front Speakers 05 Jun 2016 13:28 #1

• WaterCrazzy
  • WaterCrazzy's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
Installed two speakers up front in my 2012 185. Major thank you to Waking Memories for his tips. Wires are already ran and tied up by the factory, just waiting for you to install speakers. Definitely use a 5" hole saw in reverse, works perfectly, and is quick and easy! $17 at Harbor Freight .

Only difficulty I had was the fiberglass has a slight curve to it in this location and I could not get the speakers flush. After trying many different gasketing material (Home Depot and O'Reillys do not have anything for this type of project) I finally settled on this from McMaster Carr . I tried the 1/4" in "Ultra Soft" first but this left more material showing than I liked, so I used the 3/16" "Extra Soft". Be prepared to spend a decent amount of time outlining and cutting the material if you want it to look professional. I used a very sharp exacto knife and then went back around with scissors to round out the edge. The 42" wide gave me a couple trial and errors. If you decide to use a different type of foam, make sure that it is closed cell so that it does not suck in water when wet.

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

2012 185 Front Speakers 05 Jun 2016 13:54 #2

• Waking Memories
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 53

WaterCrazzy wrote: Installed two speakers up front in my 2012 185. Major thank you to Waking Memories for his tips. Wires are already ran and tied up by the factory, just waiting for you to install speakers. Definitely use a 5" hole saw in reverse, works perfectly, and is quick and easy! $17 at Harbor Freight .

Only difficulty I had was the fiberglass has a slight curve to it in this location and I could not get the speakers flush. After trying many different gasketing material (Home Depot and O'Reillys do not have anything for this type of project) I finally settled on this from McMaster Carr . I tried the 1/4" in "Ultra Soft" first but this left more material showing than I liked, so I used the 3/16" "Extra Soft". Be prepared to spend a decent amount of time outlining and cutting the material if you want it to look professional. I used a very sharp exacto knife and then went back around with scissors to round out the edge. The 42" wide gave me a couple trial and errors. If you decide to use a different type of foam, make sure that it is closed cell so that it does not suck in water when wet.

Nice job! Can be nerve racking making those holes! Glad it turned out well. Cannot figure out why your speakers would not form to the openings as they look like the same pair I used and mine fit flat all the way around the mounting area. Good thinking though on using the foam!
The following user(s) said Thank You: WaterCrazzy

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

2012 185 4.3l
  • Page:
Moderators: whiskywizarditsabowtime2
Time to create page: 0.073 seconds