Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Upgraded battery charger, 120V AC receptacle and DC "Live Panel"

Upgraded battery charger, 120V AC receptacle and DC "Live Panel" 23 May 2016 12:51 #1

• Dadrock33
  • Dadrock33's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • SE of York, PA
  • Thank you received: 71
Our 2003 2452 was in need of some help . . . some of you might remember the photo I took of the back of the MBSS a while back and the rat's next of wires connecting anything and everything . . . . well, it's still like that . . ;)

However, there is hope!! Finally was able to get out and start working on the boat (under the cover) so thought I'd better get a new charger and make plans for a "live panel" for the DC items that are on the MBSS . . . . I used the area beneath the helm seat which on our 2452's is drastically "unused" (especially for a Bayliner) . . . cleaned it out and cleaned it up and added a 120V GFI AC receptacle for the plug-in battery charger (which used the supply cable for the original Flyback charger which went kaput) -

Then I purchased a 10 amp charger for 2 banks (5/5) which will put all 10 amps into one battery if the other is full charged (that's another story) and I left it as a plug-in in case I replace it with something larger . . or whatever . . . needed outlets out there anyway (works great for vacuums, etc but you need SP (shore power) to supply the 120V - no generator (at this time) . . . small chunk of King starboard to mount them on and voila! -

Next, I'll paint her up with some Bilgekote (when it gets here), add some plastic wrap to keep the charger cables organized a little bit better and then I can start wiring the "Live" items and taking them off of the MBSS . . . . thinking about taking each of the batt cables to a small bus bar which would be just far enough away from the MBSS to facilitate easily working on them . . . hatch is way too small for this dog! . . . . ok, I'll replace the hatch!! . . . stay tuned for the next installment (literally) :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1998 Avanti 3685 - "Dad's Dream" w 454 Mercs - just a rockin' an'a rollin'
Former - "Home Aweigh" 2003 - 2452 Bayliner Cierra Classic Hardtop Cruiser
WQQM835 MMSI: 338147209
James H. Stradling
Last Edit: by Dadrock33.

Upgraded battery charger, 120V AC receptacle and DC "Live Panel" 23 May 2016 14:17 #2

• Foster
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • "Quo Vadimus" 1993 4588
  • Thank you received: 166
Looks great!!

I don't know if there is a chance for splashed up water into the AC, you might want to consider a water proof cover

Yep, my Bayliner IS my happy place :whistle:

Upgraded battery charger, 120V AC receptacle and DC "Live Panel" 23 May 2016 16:17 #3

• Dadrock33
  • Dadrock33's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • SE of York, PA
  • Thank you received: 71
Yeah, thought about that but there is a sealed hatch cover (actually a new one of those is on it's way as I type) that should make sure that water doesn't get into that area . . . plus, it'll only be used when we're at the dock (which for us is extremely rare since we have a dry slip arrangement) . . . . so I did the GFI in the hopes that that will take care of it . . . if it gets too wet, I'll have a myriad of other worries than that outlet!

Actually, I do have one . . . might just do that . . . safety first!

1998 Avanti 3685 - "Dad's Dream" w 454 Mercs - just a rockin' an'a rollin'
Former - "Home Aweigh" 2003 - 2452 Bayliner Cierra Classic Hardtop Cruiser
WQQM835 MMSI: 338147209
James H. Stradling
Last Edit: by Dadrock33.
  • Page:
Moderators: whiskywizarditsabowtime2
Time to create page: 0.076 seconds