Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Four Winns 215 Bow Pulpit

Four Winns 215 Bow Pulpit 21 Apr 2016 00:36 #1

• SeaTea
  • SeaTea's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 5
I know this is for a Four Winns but I figured you wouldn’t hold that against me. Besides, there is no other site that I want to post to, this one is the best!

This is an attempt at chronicling the spastic efforts by me to design and construct a pulpit for the bow roller that I needed to install because I accidentally bought a windlass.

It really was an accident, I put in a crazy low bid on a decent used Lewmar Pro-Sport 550 that had all needed electrical and mechanical devices to install it. I had been watching windlasses on eBay and figured this would sell go for at least $200 more than I bid. I was wrong.

Sooo, forward to recent times, I figured it would be cool to have on the boat, hold down a toggle to drop the anchor and again to raise it. I was sure that my son and nephew would not miss having to deal with anchor deployment and retrieval.

I checked for placement of the windlass and there is just enough space to install it behind the anchor locker hatch and still have all the mounting studs within the locker. After a lot of measuring, head scratching and hand wringing, I finally had a plan in mind.

The first thing to do was to install the anchor roller that I finally decided on. I looked on the internet for other installations on the same boat but there was nothing that I could find. I was on my own to come up with something.

I decided to use 3 layers of 3/4” Starboard to raise the roller to the level of the foredeck and to clear the anchor locker hardware. I considered thicker Starboard but it was too expensive and I figured if I kept the pulpit small, the forces wouldn’t try to separate the layers. I looked into gluing the layers together but it was too involved and I figured the bolts would be enough to keep the layers from sliding

I took measurements from the boat and the roller mount, drew it up in Autocad, printed a few plans to cut out and check placement, adjusted it a couple of times and got the template where I wanted it. I had recently purchased a small plotter so I printed a sheet, glued it to the Starboard and cut out the pieces on my bandsaw.

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

I used a forstner bit to get the correct inner radius and then angled the bottom piece to get it to fit tight against the hull.

The next step was to grind out the bottom of the lower piece so it woud follow the contour of the hull. I used a 7” two-speed grinder on low with a 24 grit disc on a rubber backing plate. I fogged the piece with black paint so I could see where I was grinding. I used the microplane to even out the bottom and to get the final contour.

I created a template for the pulpit backing plate so I printed it, cut it out and then double-faced it to the piece of 1/4” aluminum plate I had purchased off of eBay. I bought the plate big enough to back the pulpit and the windlass. The bow light had to go and there was the hole for the wiring that I used as a reference for placing the template.

After fitting the backing plate to sit flat inside the anchor locker, drilling the reference hole and adjusting the mounting holes to get as much plate under the mount, I printed a new template and taped it upside down on the hull. I used some double face tape to get it to stick to the pulpit piece and then placed the piece over the template, released it from the hull and drilled the holes into the pulpit piece. I used a forstner bit for all the holes, they cut clean and work well for the off-camber holes.

I then used the pulpit piece to mark the backing plate, drilled the holes a little oversized to allow for misalignment (read my screw-ups), used the backing plate to mark the hull. drilled the hull and top pulpit piece and countersunk the holes for the 3/8” flat head stainless screws.

As I was putting the mount on and off to check for fitment, I realized I did not need the third layer if I added a spacer between the mount and the roller. The angle would allow the rode to ride high enough to clear and not hit the locker hatch. Besides, the pulpit and roller would have looked ugly sticking up that far.

Here is a shot inside the locker showing the mounting plate and bolts.

After putting it all together, I found a few issues. Since I had to move the mount aft to get the bolts centered on the backing plate, the roller hit the hatch when mounted in the forward holes. And the anchor would not roll out.

If I moved the roller to the aft holes, the anchor would ride too far out for my comfort, it would bounce a lot.

The solution I came up with was to drill new mounting holes in the roller and add a piece of Starboard under the front of the roller to keep it from rocking, turning it into a fixed roller from a self-deploying one. Oh well, at least it works and doesn’t rattle when underway.

Overall, I am pleased with the way it turned out, it’s not too obtrusive, it fits the boat lines and works. Now I just need to get the other rode onto the chain, the first one was a 3-strand twist and hockled up. I bought an eight-plait but they sent a twelve plait, making it difficult to attach to the chain.That’s what I get for going cheap and buying it off eBay. I might just bite the bullet and get it from West Marine. Maybe.

One of these days I might do a write up on the windlass install but it was pretty straight-forward, no real challenges.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Chris T.
1985 21' Trophy Hardtop
AQ125b/AQ275
EZ-Loader Tandem Roller Trailer
1988 Four Winns 215 Sundowner
OMC Cobra 5.7
2001 Trail-Rite Tandem Bunk Trailer
MMSI 338109211 :D
Last Edit: by SeaTea.

Four Winns 215 Bow Pulpit 21 Apr 2016 01:39 #2

• Nauti Mike
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Perry Hall, MD
  • Thank you received: 360
Nice work.

1997 Maxum 2400 SCR 5.7LX Bravo II

Mike

Four Winns 215 Bow Pulpit 21 Apr 2016 18:33 #3

• t2oconnor
  • Thank you received: 4
Damn; I'm exhausted just reading it. You have a lot of patience. Great engineering !

2015 Bayliner 185 Flight Series
4.3L TKS Alpha One

Mocksville NC
  • Page:
Moderators: whiskywizarditsabowtime2
Time to create page: 0.090 seconds