Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Helm Chair in Bayliner 195 Classic

Helm Chair in Bayliner 195 Classic 14 Aug 2015 13:26 #1

• MyBoatCanFly
  • MyBoatCanFly's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 7
So I finally got rid of the horrible (For me) back to back seating on the boat. Basiaclly spent thte entire time sitting on the top of backrest. Ordered a chair from Vaeda, Pedestal from somewhere else (they had a taller one) and went to town.

I removed the original box that held the seats. (2 bolts at the bow end, 2 screws in middle, and 2 screws in aft side. I did not want to put any additional holes in the floor so I made up a piece of 3/4 ply, sealed it up and painted it white, and mounted to the original holes in the floor, and attached pedestal to this. (hindsight probably should have went with gray to match the floor. May repaint if I still care at end of season. Sealed around any edges with some silicone to prevent any water from seeping under the mount, etc.

So far so good. Makes the boat way more comfortable for me, and give me some good space to put a cooler. I may put in some kind of cooler mount, using the last 2 remaining holes in the deck.

Now just need to scrub a little on the floor.....

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

The following user(s) said Thank You: ChrisE

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

2006 Bayliner 195 Classic
2001 Bayliner 175 (flew off my trailer and died a horrible death)

Helm Chair in Bayliner 195 Classic 14 Aug 2015 13:45 #2

• kjs
  • Thank you received: 373
Looks great and is for sure an improvement over these far to low back-to-back seats. I actually like the whit ebetter as it is now part of teh chair and not just some "yet another grey piece" of the floor.

Jürgen
boatless for the future (?)

Jürgen's boating library

Helm Chair in Bayliner 195 Classic 14 Aug 2015 14:40 #3

• prodjbm
  • Thank you received: 0
Nice job!...I recently bought a 1800CJ (a week ago) with back to back seats that I realized within the first 5 minutes that I hated. I sit on top of the back to back seats as well and even there its not comfortable. I will be looking into doing the same this as you. Thanks for the Pics

Helm Chair in Bayliner 195 Classic 14 Aug 2015 14:46 #4

• MyBoatCanFly
yeah, I would do it again in a second. The removal / install of the finished pieces literally only took about 30 minutes as the seat box was attached with fasteners. Most time was spent cutting the plywood, routing nice rounded edges and sealing painting it. I have seen some on here whose boxes are fiberglassed in. Probably still worth it, but that would be an of season thing for me...

Helm Chair in Bayliner 195 Classic 17 Aug 2015 15:57 #5

• rengnath
  • Thank you received: 50
Nice job! I would love to do this on my passenger side of my 185 and get rid of the lounger. My driver side only has a single bolster seat, but I do a lot of trolling for salmon so having the extra space in the back of the boat would be nice.

Bob

"Naughty Buoy"
2011 Bayliner 185
3.0 Mercruiser/Alpha I

Port of Milwaukee

Helm Chair in Bayliner 195 Classic 27 Aug 2015 20:20 #6

• nicker22
  • Thank you received: 13
very nice.

Bayliner 185 BR
3.0 Merc Cruiser

Helm Chair in Bayliner 195 Classic 27 Aug 2015 21:02 #7

• Vic Stewart
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 39
Did you put a 'backer' plate under the deck? If not you may be over stressing the deck. Uh oh

Vic Stewart SN
Past Commander
Cape Fear Power Squadron
Ft Myers Power Squadron
1998 2859 7.4 L/B2
Raw water cooled

Helm Chair in Bayliner 195 Classic 27 Aug 2015 23:21 #8

• jdboone4
  • Thank you received: 1
That looks great. I am in the process of redoing my boat and removed the back to back. Can't wait to put in the helm seats.

1992 Bayliner Capri 1750
3.0 Mercruiser

Helm Chair in Bayliner 195 Classic 28 Aug 2015 14:46 #9

• MyBoatCanFly

Vic Stewart wrote: Did you put a 'backer' plate under the deck? If not you may be over stressing the deck. Uh oh

No Backer. Used the same mounting holes as the original back to backs to attach a top mounting plate. The reason for putting in the white base instead of going directly into the floor was to both keep the same mounting points, but also to distribute the weight so as not need a backing plate. i.e. if putting a lot of weight in any one direction its not so much pulling up on the mount points but putting the weight into the base plate. I tested it out without even attaching the plate to the floor (only with pedestal attached to plate) and there was no flex at all so I am confident that its not putting any additional stress over the stock situation.

Helm Chair in Bayliner 195 Classic 02 Jun 2016 09:50 #10

• SRT8
  • Thank you received: 6
saving I want to do this to mine :P

2003 Bayliner 185 4.3 Mercruiser , 60lbs Smart Tabs :lol:

Helm Chair in Bayliner 195 Classic 02 Jun 2016 14:18 #11

• MyBoatCanFly
It was well worth it. Made it through last season and the start of this one like a champ. Super comfortable.

Helm Chair in Bayliner 195 Classic 03 Jun 2016 00:55 #12

• riplash
  • Away
That's good news. I actually have two other windows open looking for seats, and pillars to do that on my 175. 95% of the time I am sitting on top of the back rest, and the other seat behind the driver never gets used. I would like that extra floor space for skis, Fishing poles and stuff. How high tall from the floor do you normally keep the seat? Do you like the front to back placement of the seat too? Do you use the Bolster?

Thanks,
Rip.

Helm Chair in Bayliner 195 Classic 06 Jun 2016 13:27 #13

• MyBoatCanFly
I went with a wise adjustable pedestal. Here Adjusts 12-18 inches high and for and aft. Honestly I never use the bolster, and never have adjusted the height or for aft while underway. The adjustability of the components however allowed me to get a perfect position and keep it there without tons of exacting measurements before hand which is difficult without the materials in hand (which as the seat is made to order and takes weeks, didn't want to return if it didn't work out) I like to sit far enough away that standing is possible without flipping up the bolster, and I sit tall enough that the bolster doesn't add much as another position. My wife on rare occasion at the wheel does like it. Sitting on the seat back is the pits. best investment to date for sure!

If I had to do it again, I probably would have gotten a shorter pedestal (adjustable maybe 9-15 inches if they make one) as I am 6'3 and at the lowest position my eyeline is over the windshield. 99% of the time no problem. One time it rained and would liked to have had the cover while underway.... and since I don't use the bolster perhaps saved a few bucks on a cheaper seat.

And FYI I needed to take a power washer to the floor (mine is a plastic/rubber deck with these traction circles) to get off the grime outline. Cleaners wouldn't touch it...

Last Edit: by MyBoatCanFly.

Helm Chair in Bayliner 195 Classic 11 Jun 2016 23:12 #14

• riplash
  • Away
Hey MBCF,

Thanks for the info. I decided to go ahead and install the seat. I got a helm seat from clearance at a local store. It is the right style and size and everything except the trim color is Red rather than bayliner blue. I mounted it to a 9" high springfield pedestal, with a non sliding but lockable swivel. I bought exterior 3/4 inch plywood for the reinforcement of the seat to swivel attachment and I can move the position of the seat by changing the postion of the swivel onto the plywood. I used extra plywood to make a base for the seat to test everything out in the living room and I used the plywood to test location in the boat before I mounted the pedestal in the boat. That is my wife in the second picture.

So far just sitting in the boat on the trailer I like it a lot. I will test it out in the water later tonight, or tomorrow (or both if I am really lucky). I also saved a little bit of weight too. The installed weight of the bucket seat was 24.5 lbs. And the weight of the Back to back seat and wooden base was 58.5 lbs So that is 34 pounds lighter.

Thanks for the information.
Rip.

Helm Chair in Bayliner 195 Classic 30 Jun 2016 21:21 #15

• MyBoatCanFly
Nice! I am sure you will like it, along with the space is adds for a cooler full of extra beer.

• Page:
Moderators: whiskywizarditsabowtime2
Time to create page: 0.112 seconds