Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: rot in engine room bulkhead

rot in engine room bulkhead 13 May 2007 13:53 #1

• jimarlene
  • jimarlene's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
I am a new owner of a 1981 32 explorer. I have found rot in the engine room bulkhead and can't figure where the water may have come from. Any ideas, Jim

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

rot in engine room bulkhead 13 May 2007 14:22 #2

• Visitor
  • Visitor
Jim you got the wrong forum..Post in the General Boating Topics :) And Welcome to BOC...

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

rot in engine room bulkhead 21 May 2007 22:50 #3

• Canemah_Patriot
  • Thank you received: 4
Wood rot is always the result of exposure to moisture, as you know. In a 25-year old boat, there have been many opportunities for moisture to get in. Too many to guess. It's hard to imagine a boat that old never having had water in the bilges, and once there it will make its way into any wood it can find.

But even if your boat had never been in the water, you could get moisture in the wood through condensation. Any boat that is stored in unheated space will naturally accumulate moisture from the atmosphere. Driz-Air is the product that absorbs atmospheric moisture. It really works, and no boat should be stored cold without it.

The big question is what else is rotted. If the engine room bulkhead is affected, there could be problems in other areas. I'd recommend having a professional survey done.

Ken & Linda, Canemah Oregon
1984 Bayliner 2750 "Patriot"
  • Page:
Moderators: whiskywizarditsabowtime2
Time to create page: 0.074 seconds