Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:
  • 1

TOPIC: Oil Change System Installation

Oil Change System Installation 28 Oct 2014 03:31 #1

  • Norton Rider
  • Norton Rider's Avatar Topic Author
  • Offline
  • Moderator
  • Moderator
  • Posts: 3272
  • Thank you received: 622
I just installed an oil change system on my 3788. Rather having a permanently plumbed system I decided to try something different. I permanently mounted a reversible gear pump in the engine compartment. The pump has two hoses attached, one goes forward to the engines. The other one goes to the lazarette. Both hoses have female hydraulic quick disconnect (QD) fittings. I attached male QD fittings to the engine oil drain hoses. I also attached mail QD fittings to the cap on a waste oil container and an oil pickup tube. The hoses are pre-made hydraulic hoses that I got online. I also got the QD fittings online.

The pump is wired through a DPDT switch located in the lazarette and a SPST switch with a guard locatedin the engine compartment. Both switches need to be on for the pump to run. The one in the lazarette is wired to allow the pump to run forward or backward. The switches are installed in electronic project boxes that I bought online.

The system allows me to quickly drain and refill the engine and gears without any mess.


Pump, guarded power switch, hose with QD fitting



QD fitting on the end of the engine oil change hose



Oil change hose from pump connected to the engine hose via QD fittings



Hose in lazarette connected to the cap of a waste oil container via QD fittings



Hose in lazarette connected via QD fittings to a suction tube in a fresh oil container

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

The following user(s) said Thank You: smitty477, robster_in_edmonds, Flash Jorden, malayphred

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1999 3788, Cummins 270 "Freedom"
2013 Boston Whaler 130 SS
Anacortes, WA
Last Edit: by Norton Rider.

Oil Change System Installation 30 Oct 2014 14:04 #2

  • Flash Jorden
  • Flash Jorden's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Posts: 631
  • Thank you received: 15
Nice! I like it!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mr. Darcy

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

*** Jorden ***
1987 Bayliner 2150 Capri Bow Rider
5L OMC w/Cobra Outdrive
Tandem Axle Trailer

Oil Change System Installation 31 Aug 2017 15:30 #3

  • fritzman
  • fritzman's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Fritz, Boat- 2859 -1993 name Scotch&Water
  • Posts: 1360
  • Thank you received: 185
In the process of installing same system, will preelube engine after in sits all winter,- saves bearings.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Old Glue

Oil Change System Installation 31 Aug 2017 17:09 #4

  • smitty477
  • smitty477's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Posts: 5742
  • Thank you received: 966
Nice layout.

We took another approach and ran oil lines from each main and the genset to a manifold with 1/4 turn ball valves on each line. We carry the pump on board and can then select any of the lines to remove the oil with similar quick connects. We added a second manifold with 1/4 turn valves for the transmission drains as well.
- we have an attachment to the pump that allows us to 'catch' the oil surplus in the filters as well
- we chose not to leave the pump on board or hard wired as it is not used often
- while the pump is reversible we choose not to reverse flow new fluids as that would require they run back through low spots and residual 'stuff' in the lines
- when removing old fluids we always capture in separate containers which show us the amounts left in the engine(s) at time of change

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Northport NY

Oil Change System Installation 31 Aug 2017 21:03 #5

  • Norton Rider
  • Norton Rider's Avatar Topic Author
  • Offline
  • Moderator
  • Moderator
  • Posts: 3272
  • Thank you received: 622

smitty477 wrote: ... - while the pump is reversible we choose not to reverse flow new fluids as that would require they run back through low spots and residual 'stuff' in the lines...


The nice thing about not being permanently plumbed via a manifold is the ability to flush the lines. After I drain all the oil from the engines I attach a dip tube to the line in the lazarette and place it in a new oil container. Then I connect the line in the engine compartment to one of the drain jugs. I run the pump in the other direction until I get clean oil. Once this happens I connect the line to one of the engines and pump the oil in.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1999 3788, Cummins 270 "Freedom"
2013 Boston Whaler 130 SS
Anacortes, WA

Oil Change System Installation 31 Aug 2017 21:25 #6

  • smitty477
  • smitty477's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Posts: 5742
  • Thank you received: 966

Norton Rider wrote:

smitty477 wrote: ... - while the pump is reversible we choose not to reverse flow new fluids as that would require they run back through low spots and residual 'stuff' in the lines...


The nice thing about not being permanently plumbed via a manifold is the ability to flush the lines. After I drain all the oil from the engines I attach a dip tube to the line in the lazarette and place it in a new oil container. Then I connect the line in the engine compartment to one of the drain jugs. I run the pump in the other direction until I get clean oil. Once this happens I connect the line to one of the engines and pump the oil in.


I see from the pics that would flush your new lines and leave the engine oil drain lines (engine hose) with old fluid in them.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Northport NY

Oil Change System Installation 01 Sep 2017 19:16 #7

  • fritzman
  • fritzman's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Fritz, Boat- 2859 -1993 name Scotch&Water
  • Posts: 1360
  • Thank you received: 185
Hi Norton Rider, your installation looks the same as my set up in the plumbing dawning a power steering filter is called for, did you install one?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Old Glue

Oil Change System Installation 01 Sep 2017 21:53 #8

  • Norton Rider
  • Norton Rider's Avatar Topic Author
  • Offline
  • Moderator
  • Moderator
  • Posts: 3272
  • Thank you received: 622

smitty477 wrote:

Norton Rider wrote:

smitty477 wrote: ... - while the pump is reversible we choose not to reverse flow new fluids as that would require they run back through low spots and residual 'stuff' in the lines...


The nice thing about not being permanently plumbed via a manifold is the ability to flush the lines. After I drain all the oil from the engines I attach a dip tube to the line in the lazarette and place it in a new oil container. Then I connect the line in the engine compartment to one of the drain jugs. I run the pump in the other direction until I get clean oil. Once this happens I connect the line to one of the engines and pump the oil in.


I see from the pics that would flush your new lines and leave the engine oil drain lines (engine hose) with old fluid in them.


Yep, there's a bit left on the oil drain line that's attached to the engine. If you think about it, there are probably thousands of boats with permanently installed oil change systems and all of them pump back a bit of used oil into the engine. It doesn't seem to be much of an issue.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1999 3788, Cummins 270 "Freedom"
2013 Boston Whaler 130 SS
Anacortes, WA

Oil Change System Installation 01 Sep 2017 21:54 #9

  • Norton Rider
  • Norton Rider's Avatar Topic Author
  • Offline
  • Moderator
  • Moderator
  • Posts: 3272
  • Thank you received: 622

fritzman wrote: Hi Norton Rider, your installation looks the same as my set up in the plumbing dawning a power steering filter is called for, did you install one?


I don't understand what you are asking.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1999 3788, Cummins 270 "Freedom"
2013 Boston Whaler 130 SS
Anacortes, WA

Oil Change System Installation 01 Sep 2017 22:31 #10

  • smitty477
  • smitty477's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Posts: 5742
  • Thank you received: 966

Norton Rider wrote:

smitty477 wrote:

Norton Rider wrote:

smitty477 wrote: ... - while the pump is reversible we choose not to reverse flow new fluids as that would require they run back through low spots and residual 'stuff' in the lines...


The nice thing about not being permanently plumbed via a manifold is the ability to flush the lines. After I drain all the oil from the engines I attach a dip tube to the line in the lazarette and place it in a new oil container. Then I connect the line in the engine compartment to one of the drain jugs. I run the pump in the other direction until I get clean oil. Once this happens I connect the line to one of the engines and pump the oil in.


I see from the pics that would flush your new lines and leave the engine oil drain lines (engine hose) with old fluid in them.


Yep, there's a bit left on the oil drain line that's attached to the engine. If you think about it, there are probably thousands of boats with permanently installed oil change systems and all of them pump back a bit of used oil into the engine. It doesn't seem to be much of an issue.


I do not push back on oil drain lines since its just so easy to fill from the top and avoid any larger particles that would drift in the hose and/or on any fittings..
But if you are not concerned about that potential then why do you flush the lines and waste the time and new oil? And why not just make the oil change lines permanent then?

"The nice thing about not being permanently plumbed via a manifold is the ability to flush the lines. After I drain all the oil from the engines I attach a dip tube to the line in the lazarette and place it in a new oil container. Then I connect the line in the engine compartment to one of the drain jugs. I run the pump in the other direction until I get clean oil. Once this happens I connect the line to one of the engines and pump the oil in."

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Northport NY

Oil Change System Installation 01 Sep 2017 23:03 #11

  • Norton Rider
  • Norton Rider's Avatar Topic Author
  • Offline
  • Moderator
  • Moderator
  • Posts: 3272
  • Thank you received: 622

smitty477 wrote:

Norton Rider wrote:

smitty477 wrote:

Norton Rider wrote:

smitty477 wrote: ... - while the pump is reversible we choose not to reverse flow new fluids as that would require they run back through low spots and residual 'stuff' in the lines...


The nice thing about not being permanently plumbed via a manifold is the ability to flush the lines. After I drain all the oil from the engines I attach a dip tube to the line in the lazarette and place it in a new oil container. Then I connect the line in the engine compartment to one of the drain jugs. I run the pump in the other direction until I get clean oil. Once this happens I connect the line to one of the engines and pump the oil in.


I see from the pics that would flush your new lines and leave the engine oil drain lines (engine hose) with old fluid in them.


Yep, there's a bit left on the oil drain line that's attached to the engine. If you think about it, there are probably thousands of boats with permanently installed oil change systems and all of them pump back a bit of used oil into the engine. It doesn't seem to be much of an issue.


I do not push back on oil drain lines since its just so easy to fill from the top and avoid any larger particles that would drift in the hose and/or on any fittings..
But if you are not concerned about that potential then why do you flush the lines and waste the time and new oil? And why not just make the oil change lines permanent then?

"The nice thing about not being permanently plumbed via a manifold is the ability to flush the lines. After I drain all the oil from the engines I attach a dip tube to the line in the lazarette and place it in a new oil container. Then I connect the line in the engine compartment to one of the drain jugs. I run the pump in the other direction until I get clean oil. Once this happens I connect the line to one of the engines and pump the oil in."


My point is that I flush most of except for a couple of feet of hose attached to the engine.

Regarding a manifold, my system was less expensive and much easier to install. Using hydraulic quick disconnects make almost as fast as a manifold.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1999 3788, Cummins 270 "Freedom"
2013 Boston Whaler 130 SS
Anacortes, WA

Oil Change System Installation 02 Sep 2017 19:20 #12

  • fritzman
  • fritzman's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Fritz, Boat- 2859 -1993 name Scotch&Water
  • Posts: 1360
  • Thank you received: 185
OK one more time, the drawing I copied from one of the oil pump web, shows a power steering filter in the feed line from the oil pan to the pump, I find that strange, since the line rom the pump outlet runs to the engine oil filter, or splits of to drain in to a bucket -- changing oil. Thanks for the reply.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Old Glue
  • Page:
  • 1
Moderators: whiskywizarditsabowtime2
Time to create page: 0.109 seconds
Powered by Kunena Forum