Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Removed factory striping/badging and had custom name made for the hull

Removed factory striping/badging and had custom name made for the hull 23 Feb 2014 18:47 #1

• Waking Memories
  • Waking Memories's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 53
Although I LOVE my Bayliner, I HATED the size of the Bayliner wording on the side of my hull. Felt like I was a boat billboard. I removed all of the striping and lettering (left the silver stripe above the gunwale though). Also removed the Bayliner lettering on the trailer. Used a heat gun to remove it all. On the trailer, there was such severe ghosting of the letters, I had to wet sand with 1500 grit and polish. Had custom lettering made and installed yesterday. Some before and after pics below. You may notice all of the cleats are off in one of the pics, I have pull up flush cleats coming tomorrow and will be installing this week..

Here is the link where I bought my graphics. These guys are AWESOME! Price was GREAT, he worked with me on sending me multiple proofs as I tweaked what I wanted, sent them to me the same day I paid him. Will be using him again for the boat registration numbers..
www.fullintensitygrafx.com/index.php

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

The following user(s) said Thank You: kjs, IrixGuy

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

2012 185 4.3l
Last Edit: by Waking Memories.

Removed factory striping/badging and had custom name made for the hull 23 Feb 2014 22:52 #2

• Go Aweigh2452
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Olalla, WA
  • Thank you received: 534
Outstanding job right there... I also dumped all the Bayliner logo stuff including the water line... I like clean lines... Some goes for my cars... No car sales logos... not even license plate holders. I have asked if they want to advertise, they would have to pay me... no takers so far...
The following user(s) said Thank You: Waking Memories

Doug ;}
MMSI: 338068776
"Go Aweigh to" Photos < click on red letters... 2001 Bayliner 2452 w/6.2 HO (paid for)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Removed factory striping/badging and had custom name made for the hull 24 Feb 2014 11:29 #3

• Fish-a-Palooza
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Nice job!

Wayne
1988 2160 Trophy (BH) 4.3L, Volvo Penta DP-S1, D5 props (MMSI: 338120888)
1988 1710 Fish-N-Ski (Bass Trophy), Force 125HP

Do something! Lead: Follow: or get out of the way.

Removed factory striping/badging and had custom name made for the hull 24 Feb 2014 12:17 #4

• itsabowtime2
  • Thank you received: 352
Very nice!! Love the name on the trailer as well.

Phil, Vicky, Ashleigh & Sydney
1998 3055 Ciera
(yes, a 1998)
Previous boat: 1993 3055
Dream boat: 70' Azimut or Astondoa 72
Sea Doo XP
Sea Doo GTI SE
Life is short. Boats are cool.
The family that plays together stays together.
Vice Commodore: Bellevue Yacht Club

Removed factory striping/badging and had custom name made for the hull 24 Feb 2014 12:23 #5

• robster_in_edmonds
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 241
Very nice! Four years ago I had a 1996 2855 and the decals were scuffed and looked dated. I removed them all, buffed and waxed the boat, put a name on her (she was the original Miss Maui) and people assumed she was a Sea Ray.

When I bought our current 4788 a friend suggested I do the same but re-badge her as a "Meldrum 49." Make her sound like a custom-built boat. I have resisted so far, but you never know....

Rob

Rob Meldrum
Commodore, Edmonds Yacht Club (2014-2015)
"Miss Maui" * 1997 Bayliner 4788 * Cummins 330s

Removed factory striping/badging and had custom name made for the hull 24 Feb 2014 13:58 #6

• Waking Memories
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member

robster_in_edmonds wrote: Very nice! Four years ago I had a 1996 2855 and the decals were scuffed and looked dated. I removed them all, buffed and waxed the boat, put a name on her (she was the original Miss Maui) and people assumed she was a Sea Ray.

When I bought our current 4788 a friend suggested I do the same but re-badge her as a "Meldrum 49." Make her sound like a custom-built boat. I have resisted so far, but you never know....

Rob

LOL.... I almost put on a set of Sea Ray graphics that they had on a few of their 185 sports. My wife thought I was trying to hide the fact we have a Bayliner and try to make it look like a Sea Ray. That was not my intention, I just REALLY liked the graphics. Also almost went with one of the Wake Setter decal sets... After looking at the price of the sets and the quote of mine for a total of $70 delivered and included the hull, transom and trailer graphics, it was a no brainer!!!

2012 185 4.3l

Removed factory striping/badging and had custom name made for the hull 24 Feb 2014 14:00 #7

• Waking Memories
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member

Go Aweigh2452 wrote: Outstanding job right there... I also dumped all the Bayliner logo stuff including the water line... I like clean lines... Some goes for my cars... No car sales logos... not even license plate holders. I have asked if they want to advertise, they would have to pay me... no takers so far...

The very first decal I removed was the dealer logos they put on the hull! Next was all of the misc. warning decals all over the place... With all of the liability, it had almost as many stickers as a ladder! LOL....

2012 185 4.3l

Removed factory striping/badging and had custom name made for the hull 18 Mar 2014 21:20 #8

• 3 wide
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 14

Go Aweigh2452 wrote: Outstanding job right there... I also dumped all the Bayliner logo stuff including the water line... I like clean lines... Some goes for my cars... No car sales logos... not even license plate holders. I have asked if they want to advertise, they would have to pay me... no takers so far...

Same here. Not to mention the crazy prices they want for replacing damaged letters and such. I run em naked!! To the OP, very nice job!!!

3 WIDE
02 Ciera 2855
350 Mag MPI
w/ Bravo III
New Jersey
Last Edit: by 3 wide.

Removed factory striping/badging and had custom name made for the hull 18 Apr 2014 02:41 #9

• Captain J
  • Thank you received: 2
That's slick! Nice job!!

Original owner of 2003 Bayliner 175BR
Pioneer Sound System
LED Transom Lighting/Interior Lighting

This image is hidden for guests.

Removed factory striping/badging and had custom name made for the hull 10 Jun 2014 03:14 #10

• IrixGuy
  • Thank you received: 0
Hey bud your boat looks awesome! I actually removed my "Bayliner" stickers after seeing this post today. I have a few quick questions if you don't mind answering. You mentioned replacing the cleats on the side. What kind did you use and did you have to grill and/or modify the boat in any way to install them? Also, what are the dimensions if your logo on the side of the boat? I think that I'm going to place mine in the same area, instead of the back where the "Bayliner" used to be. Thank you so much!

Removed factory striping/badging and had custom name made for the hull 10 Jun 2014 18:11 #11

• kjs
  • Thank you received: 373
Looks great and inspired me A LOT. Thank you!

That guy is really amazing. I sent him a dxf file (unusual format for these cutters) of what I want and withing 1h I had the proof. Ordered already and the price was a lot less from what I saw elsewhere.
Now you can all guess what my boat name will be. That's the figure head I ordered: (Dutch, you are excluded ....)

This message has an attachment image.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Dutchpirate

Jürgen
boatless for the future (?)

Jürgen's boating library
Last Edit: by kjs.

Removed factory striping/badging and had custom name made for the hull 11 Jun 2014 01:39 #12

• billsguns
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Camano Island WA
  • Thank you received: 50
Outstanding
I will be sending out for a quote

Removed factory striping/badging and had custom name made for the hull 11 Jun 2014 01:53 #13

• kjs
You are in for a surprise! I emailed first question whether he can work from dxf files yesterday night 11pm MST (he's to the East). Had response in my inbox when I started PC at 9am. Send him files at 9:30am, had proof at 10:30am. Minor change, new proof at 10:45am including a surprisingly attractive quote including shipping. Paid 10:50am and at 2:30pm I received tracking number.....
He gave me the material info of the vinyl he uses and it's the longest lasting one you can buy......

In short: have your money ready when you ask.....

Let him know where you heard about him. It's always good feedback.

Edit: just found out that they moved beginning this month to TX. My stuff will be here Thursday.......

Jürgen

Jürgen's boating library

Removed factory striping/badging and had custom name made for the hull 12 Jun 2014 01:42 #14

• Waking Memories
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member

IrixGuy wrote: Hey bud your boat looks awesome! I actually removed my "Bayliner" stickers after seeing this post today. I have a few quick questions if you don't mind answering. You mentioned replacing the cleats on the side. What kind did you use and did you have to grill and/or modify the boat in any way to install them? Also, what are the dimensions if your logo on the side of the boat? I think that I'm going to place mine in the same area, instead of the back where the "Bayliner" used to be. Thank you so much!

Thanks! The cleats I bought on Ebay. Cheapest I found anywhere. I did have to drill new holes and had to be careful lining them up so when I drilled the holes, the old holes were hidden. Check out their listings as they sell these cleats in bulk offerings as well which comes out less than the individual price
www.ebay.com/itm/6-Pull-Up-Cleat-316-Gra...&hash=item1c3d1cae60

My decal is 76.1 inches from end to end and 6" tall lettering. The "Waking Memories" portion is 48" long
The following user(s) said Thank You: IrixGuy

2012 185 4.3l

Removed factory striping/badging and had custom name made for the hull 14 Jun 2014 05:14 #15

• IrixGuy
Thank you! Any tips for ghosting where the "Bayliner" and stripes were on the blue part of the hull? I've already done the Goo Gone thing but I can still see all of the letters and shapes when the sun hits it the right way.

Removed factory striping/badging and had custom name made for the hull 16 Jun 2014 02:08 #16

• Waking Memories
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member

IrixGuy wrote: Thank you! Any tips for ghosting where the "Bayliner" and stripes were on the blue part of the hull? I've already done the Goo Gone thing but I can still see all of the letters and shapes when the sun hits it the right way.

You will need to use a compound wheel and hit the hull with some compound, followed by foam pad with glaze. If you are going to install lettering, after you do the final glaze, use a cotton towel and rubbing alchohol and clean the area. After putting on the lettering, let it sit for 24 hours for it to really adhere and use a non white residue wax and wax over the whole area.

If the ghosting does not remove with compound, you will need to wet sand the area with 1500 grit lightly and follow the steps above. Need to be comfortable in doing this and compounding so you do not make a mess or do damage.
The following user(s) said Thank You: IrixGuy

2012 185 4.3l

Removed factory striping/badging and had custom name made for the hull 20 Jun 2014 03:39 #17

• IrixGuy
Thanks again! I used some Meguirs Oxidation remover and the ghosting is complete gone. Here is the decal installation that I did towards the rear of the boat. Thanks again for your help and the inspiration. I think that you may be the only person online that has rebadged a Bayliner 185. I make number two =)

Last Edit: by IrixGuy.

Removed factory striping/badging and had custom name made for the hull 20 Jun 2014 04:15 #18

• Waking Memories
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member

IrixGuy wrote: Thanks again! I used some Meguirs Oxidation remover and the ghosting is complete gone. Here is the decal installation that I did towards the rear of the boat. Thanks again for your help and the inspiration. I think that you may be the only person online that has rebadged a Bayliner 185. I make number two =)

Looks GREAT! Nice job with the video.. Now if you get enough courage to drill some holes for the flush mount cleats, that will really make a difference!

2012 185 4.3l

Removed factory striping/badging and had custom name made for the hull 20 Jun 2014 04:31 #19

• kjs
If you have to do it again: spray the surface and the sticker with water and you can actually move it until it's in the correct position. Then squeegee it down. When I installed my figurehead it would have been impossible to get it correctly on without being able to still move it a bit.

Looks great and I'll be #3 as the bayliner is already gone. Have to leave the top and bottom stripe on as the blue gel-coat isn't a straight line....

Jürgen

Jürgen's boating library

Removed factory striping/badging and had custom name made for the hull 02 Aug 2014 23:30 #20

• Halibut214
With the fantastic job you did with this wondering what you did with your boat numbers. I was just getting ready to order them and boat name when I saw this. Did you put them above or below the sheer line? I've always thought above looked sort of cheesy but thought perhaps you came up with some innovative way of doing that as well. Thanks for the post.

Removed factory striping/badging and had custom name made for the hull 03 Aug 2014 03:09 #21

• Waking Memories
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member

Halibut214 wrote: With the fantastic job you did with this wondering what you did with your boat numbers. I was just getting ready to order them and boat name when I saw this. Did you put them above or below the sheer line? I've always thought above looked sort of cheesy but thought perhaps you came up with some innovative way of doing that as well. Thanks for the post.

I put the registration numbers below the rub rail. In one of the pics, you can see a portion of the white letters. After I put the name on the side, I had the guy make me the hull numbers in the same copper color as the Waking Memories graphic

2012 185 4.3l

Removed factory striping/badging and had custom name made for the hull 03 Aug 2014 13:32 #22

• bodega
Hi...how have the graphics held up? I went to the website but they don't mention marine applications...just cars, RVs, etc. Did they give you any reason that their stripes/badging would not hold up in water or saltwater? Thanks.

Removed factory striping/badging and had custom name made for the hull 04 Aug 2014 00:34 #23

• Waking Memories
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
My boat is not moored in the water. It gets stored in my garage after each outing. I also am in fresh water. As these are made for cars mostly, I would assume that they are going to hold up well to the weather. Send him and e-mail about salt water use and I am sure he will reply. For the price, if it fails later on, just replace them! This guy is cheap and I believe the quality is top notch.

Having said that. they are holding up great!

2012 185 4.3l

Removed factory striping/badging and had custom name made for the hull 04 Aug 2014 00:59 #24

• kjs
+1! I asked him what material he uses and it's the highest grade material which is out there. Same thing you normally get for at least twice the price as marine quality. If permanently outdoors and exposed to intense sun light the material should last at least 5 years. If usually stored in the shade or like WM's and mine inside a garage it will last as long as I won't run into something and scratch it off.
Very easy to work with and as WM said: darn cheap....... I paid $26 incl shipping for a 14" diameter figure head in two colors. 3h after I placed the order he emailed the tracking number!!!

I didn't follow his instructions as I prefer to apply it with lots of water (best is reverse osmosis water). I spray the surface well and then the glue side of the decal. Allows me to move it a bit and then squeegee it on with a soft plastic piece (like a credit card). Work from a center line outwards and get all the water out underneath. Small/tiny "water bubbles" will go away after a few days when the water has evaporated through the plastic film. As warmer and drier as faster that works.

Jürgen

Jürgen's boating library

Removed factory striping/badging and had custom name made for the hull 30 Mar 2016 03:02 #25

• RobMick
  • Away
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 122
I think I will stay with the "naked" look this summer. I like the clean look for now
Before:

After:

This message has attachments images.

Hell, Michigan (yes we really live in a city named "Hell" in Michigan)
2012 BR 185 - 3.0 TKS
1999 Chaparral 233 Sunesta Ltd., 5.0 Volvo
1985 Harris Flotebote Classic 240
1993 Yamaha Waverunner III VXR
1993 Yamaha Waverunner III
1995 Yamaha Waverunner III GP
1995 Yamaha Waverunner III VXR PRO
  • Page:
Moderators: whiskywizarditsabowtime2
Time to create page: 0.151 seconds