Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: 3270 radar arch rebuild Part 2

3270 radar arch rebuild Part 2 02 Jul 2015 20:09 #26

• Lightsout
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 103
Another tip if you are going to use Starboard is to run the flame of a torch over the starboard surface that you will be using the sealer (5200 or?). Starboard is terrible surface calk and sealers in terms of adheision, fact is nothing really sticks to it for very long so you have be be careful as leaking that caused the original problem with the arch may start again. By running the torch over the surface of the Starboard it changes the molecular structure and makes it more susceptible to sealers adhearing to it.

When you torch the Starboard the way you know it was enough and it worked is when you run water over new starboard the water beads up and runs off leaving the surface dry after you torch the surface the water will sheet the surface and not bead up. You should do this with ANY starboard that will be glued or casked

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Gary & Carolyn
1991 4588 Bayliner PH
MV "Nautica"
Lake Union (Seattle, WA)

3270 radar arch rebuild Part 2 02 Jul 2015 20:28 #27

• diveguy
  • diveguy's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Nova Scotia, Canada
  • Thank you received: 166
Good tip.

"Martini's Law"
1986 Bayliner 3270, 110 Hino's
Nova Scotia, Canada

3270 radar arch rebuild Part 2 02 Jul 2015 20:46 #28

• O1dSoldier
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 16
I agree, a good tip. It took me some time to find an adhesive that will work with starboard. I also recommend using a flame spreader with your torch. It helps ensure an even flame over the surface. If I recall correctly you have only a short period of time where this will work before you have to do it again.

Thanks. And happy boating!
8-)
Paul
US Army (Retired), Federal Way, WA

1990 Bayliner 3288 - the "Janna Lea"
Twin 150 Hinos / Raymarine Electronics
MMSI: 338181912
[/color]
[/b]

3270 radar arch rebuild Part 2 02 Jul 2015 21:32 #29

• Lightsout
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 103

O1dSoldier wrote: I agree, a good tip. It took me some time to find an adhesive that will work with starboard. I also recommend using a flame spreader with your torch. It helps ensure an even flame over the surface. If I recall correctly you have only a short period of time where this will work before you have to do it again.

According to Tap Plastics there is no big rush a hour or two is ok. At least you can tell by running water over it. It is really a cool process to watch as you run the flame over it you can see the change happen however it does not change the color of the starboard I assume it is like a off gassing of sorts

This torch works great and is in expensive. It took less than 1 minute and had full coverage

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Gary & Carolyn
1991 4588 Bayliner PH
MV "Nautica"
Lake Union (Seattle, WA)
Last Edit: by Lightsout.
  • Page:
Moderators: whiskywizarditsabowtime2
Time to create page: 0.078 seconds