Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Added built in dual battery charger with thru hull charger fitting

Added built in dual battery charger with thru hull charger fitting 26 Sep 2013 01:01 #2

• green650
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
That looks very nice.
I googled that model quickly, and did not notice what type of plug it came with.
Did it come with a standard house plug and you cut and spliced in the thru hull one?
I've been using dual trickle chargers on mine since they were free (I have them for my motorcycles) but for $100 and some work I might go this route so I can save probably 20 minutes each time of climbing in and out of the boat, putting chargers in the bilge, connecting, routing extension cord, etc.
Nice work.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Added built in dual battery charger with thru hull charger fitting 26 Sep 2013 01:07 #3

• Luv2Camp
  • Luv2Camp's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

green650;811546 wrote: That looks very nice.
I googled that model quickly, and did not notice what type of plug it came with.
Did it come with a standard house plug and you cut and spliced in the thru hull one?
I've been using dual trickle chargers on mine since they were free (I have them for my motorcycles) but for $100 and some work I might go this route so I can save probably 20 minutes each time of climbing in and out of the boat, putting chargers in the bilge, connecting, routing extension cord, etc.
Nice work.

Yes, it comes with a standard house plug. Guest makes 2 fittings that will work with this model. One you have to cut the plug off the end of the charger and rewire to the fitting and the one I bought which is "supposed" to allow the plug to snap into the fitting and no need to re-wire. If I had to do it again, I would buy the one that you splice. The fitting that secures the plug is a joke and if you push too hard or on an angle, it pushes the plug out. I wound up using a soldering iron and welded the plug into the fitting....

Here is the one I would buy if I had to do it again..

http://www.amazon.com/Marinco-150BBI-On-Board-Charger-125-Volt/dp/B000NI38MG/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1380157588&sr=8-6&keywords=guest+battery+charger

Added built in dual battery charger with thru hull charger fitting 16 Mar 2014 18:43 #4

• bbar64
  • Thank you received: 1
Greetings, started my add a battery project this weekend (much thanks to you and your post). I do have a question though. I drilled the hole in the exact location that you did. However when I put the got thru hull charger fitting in I realized that the depth of the hole in the hull verses the length of the threads on the adapter wouldn't allow me to put the supplied nut on the back side to tighten the adapter. The hole in the hull is about a inch deep and the shank on the charger fitting is only threaded about 1/2 inch which leaves the threaded portion inside the hole. There are however three holes for mounting the adapters ring to the outside of the hull. Now long story but heres my question. On the adapter that you used, were you able to thread the nut on the back to secure it. or did you just use to mounting screws on the outside to secure it. If so have you found this to be sturdy enough. Thanks in advance

RJ

Added built in dual battery charger with thru hull charger fitting 17 Mar 2014 01:37 #5

• Waking Memories
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 53

bbar64 wrote: Greetings, started my add a battery project this weekend (much thanks to you and your post). I do have a question though. I drilled the hole in the exact location that you did. However when I put the got thru hull charger fitting in I realized that the depth of the hole in the hull verses the length of the threads on the adapter wouldn't allow me to put the supplied nut on the back side to tighten the adapter. The hole in the hull is about a inch deep and the shank on the charger fitting is only threaded about 1/2 inch which leaves the threaded portion inside the hole. There are however three holes for mounting the adapters ring to the outside of the hull. Now long story but heres my question. On the adapter that you used, were you able to thread the nut on the back to secure it. or did you just use to mounting screws on the outside to secure it. If so have you found this to be sturdy enough. Thanks in advance

RJ

Hi RJ, (my former ID was Luv2Camp).... Mine had enough room to secure the nut to it. Does the thickness appear the same as mine when you look at the picture where I have the hole cut out? Maybe that you have additional reinforcement on yours. I am not sure that using the screws on the outside trim ring will be enough to keep it from pulling out when you unplug the cord. Could you use nuts and bolts on those three holes and put washers on the backside? Did you get the plug kit that you had to rewire or the one that the plug from the charger snaps in? Mine was the snap in version. Wondering if different overall length difference?

Here is a pic of the backside. You can see I have quite a bit of thread sticking out still
Just looked at the two types and looks like the one that has the plug integral does have a shorter depth of threads. The one I have appears longer thread length. I had to solder the plug in pace and also used electrical tape to hold it together. I found that the pressure and angle placed on it when plugging it in would cause the plug to push out from the socket. Soldering and taping it has held up so far well...

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

2012 185 4.3l
Last Edit: by Waking Memories.

Added built in dual battery charger with thru hull charger fitting 17 Mar 2014 05:39 #6

• JimMc
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 259
I assume you know proper power inlets are available from Marinco and Smart Plug.

The do not involve fusing with a soldering iron and black tape to keep them together. Yes they cost more. You get what you pay for.

Jim and Debbie McNeely
New Hope a 2004 Bayliner 305 Sunbridge Express Cruiser
Twin 5.7s with Bravo2 drives
Brighton, Michigan USA
MMSI # 367393410

Added built in dual battery charger with thru hull charger fitting 17 Mar 2014 23:14 #7

• Waking Memories
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member

JimMc wrote: I assume you know proper power inlets are available from Marinco and Smart Plug.

The do not involve fusing with a soldering iron and black tape to keep them together. Yes they cost more. You get what you pay for.

OK smarty.... I did use the "PROPER" power inlet from Marinco. I am assuming you have not used the one where the plug snaps into it as it is a POOR design as it only really locks into place on the top. Force against it will push the plug out of the bottom and it falls out! I did get exactly what I paid for! LOL

2012 185 4.3l

Added built in dual battery charger with thru hull charger fitting 18 Mar 2014 01:46 #8

• JimMc
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 259
I am not sure of your decision process. Just because a product is sold does not mean it's the proper product. Maybe I should have said reliable , robust or well designed.

If a product fails to do the job intended then it's not the proper product regardless of who made it.

I had 30Amp Marinco shorepower inlets and switched over to the SmartPlug system. I realize these are overkill for your need. But both are robust. After 8 years use my Marinco was showing signs of heating and the SmartPlug is a superior design so I converted.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 2850Bounty

Jim and Debbie McNeely
New Hope a 2004 Bayliner 305 Sunbridge Express Cruiser
Twin 5.7s with Bravo2 drives
Brighton, Michigan USA
MMSI # 367393410
Last Edit: by JimMc.

Added built in dual battery charger with thru hull charger fitting 18 Mar 2014 11:25 #9

• Waking Memories
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member

JimMc wrote: I am not sure of your decision process. .

LOL.... :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

2012 185 4.3l

Added built in dual battery charger with thru hull charger fitting 18 Mar 2014 14:04 #10

• aspen1880
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 119
I had a ski boat for 10 years and I should have done what you did.
I did a more crude / kludgy job. Yours looks nice and neat. Some
might say that the wires should be shortened a bit. but, I like having
a little give in the wiring, if practical, as it allows modification ease -
like deciding to move the components a tad this way or that way into
slightly better positions. The first time one makes nice short cabling
is when one discovers that the item should be located another inch
or two to the direction that the cable won't extend! ;)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Waking Memories

Novurania 335DL. 30HP. WKRP in cincinnati. Previously: Bayliner 3818 in PNW.

Added built in dual battery charger with thru hull charger fitting 20 Mar 2014 22:50 #11

• bbar64
Thanks for replying and posting the pics. I finally got a chance to look at my boat again today, and my hull seems to be the same as yours. I guess the design of the Marinco 150BBI Marine On-Board Charger Inlet just wont allow it to be used unless I just go with the 3 bolts all the way through the hull (with nuts). Or if i shave (or counter sink) the hole from the inside. Im really hesitant to do either one of those for for the following reasons. #1 Im skeptical as to how long three bolts that small will hold with use over a few years before the it's just a flapping mess. And as far as countersinking from the inside, I'm afraid I may end up with the same thing. Only upside at this point is that I can finish the rest of the install as far as athe battery hook up and mounting the charger and stuff while I think about it.

This message has attachments images.

Added built in dual battery charger with thru hull charger fitting 21 Mar 2014 01:32 #12

• Waking Memories
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
I agree and would not countersink that area. You could go with the Marinco Connect Charge outlet like I used as mine is clearly longer than yours and has quite a bit more thread length as well. The issue I think you will find though is that it does not hold the plug in too well if you put too much pressure on it when plugging it in and the plug at least for me kept falling out. I had to solder the plug into the base to correct. Maybe I got a defective one? Also, on their website, they show a plug model that is intended for mounting from the outside but to me the picture looks the same as the one you have. Maybe a call into their tech support to see if there is any difference. I doubt if you used long stainless screws and used washers on the backside it would have any issues. The only concern I would have is it looks like you have some play in the size hole you drilled and you may find that you do not have enough room to drill holes large enough for the screws. I think I would go with the connect charge adapter which will have enough room to screw the nut on the backside. Best case at least in my opinion is to modify the plug if needed and not your hull. Easier to replace the plug if needed than have a mess with your hull!!

2012 185 4.3l

Added built in dual battery charger with thru hull charger fitting 28 Mar 2014 00:28 #13

• bbar64
Thanks again for the advice. Project has been on hold for the last two weeks. The weather was a bit cool last week, and this week the boat is at the dealer getting the ESP installed (which took bayliner 6 weeks to build and ship). Hope to get it back tomorrow and get the battery project finished next week and get it in the water (for the first time) Ill keep you posted. Thanks again for sharing your pics and knowledge.

Added built in dual battery charger with thru hull charger fitting 06 Jun 2014 01:34 #14

• bbar64
Greetings waking Memories,
Here it is 3 months later and I have yet to get my dual battery set up to work properly. I have tried to figure out what you have in your pictures but with some of the stuff not clearly shown due to the battery boxes being covered and the angle of the pic, I guess Im missing something. I have tried every configuration I can think of and I always end up losing so sorta function and end up just setting it up the factory way so that I can get out on the water and enjoy the boat. If you could please post more detailed pics or even a schematic of your setup I would deeply appreciate it. I purchased the exact same equipment that you show on your boat so more instruction should be all that I need. Thanks in advance,

RJ

Added built in dual battery charger with thru hull charger fitting 06 Jun 2014 01:53 #15

• Waking Memories
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member

bbar64 wrote: Greetings waking Memories,
Here it is 3 months later and I have yet to get my dual battery set up to work properly. I have tried to figure out what you have in your pictures but with some of the stuff not clearly shown due to the battery boxes being covered and the angle of the pic, I guess Im missing something. I have tried every configuration I can think of and I always end up losing so sorta function and end up just setting it up the factory way so that I can get out on the water and enjoy the boat. If you could please post more detailed pics or even a schematic of your setup I would deeply appreciate it. I purchased the exact same equipment that you show on your boat so more instruction should be all that I need. Thanks in advance,

RJ

Next time I have a chance to empty some of the stuff in there and get some pics I will post... If I recall correctly, I followed the power cable from the fuse panel back to the battery and put this one on the aux battery. I believe it was included with other power wires on the shut off switch inside of the engine compartment. If I remember correctly, there is a separate power line that goes to the ignition switch for the starter. There were a few other small gauge wires with fuses on them back there as well and I put those on the aux battery as well.

2012 185 4.3l

Added built in dual battery charger with thru hull charger fitting 06 Jun 2014 14:53 #16

• 2850Bounty
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 1121

Waking Memories wrote:

JimMc wrote: I assume you know proper power inlets are available from Marinco and Smart Plug.
They do not involve fusing with a soldering iron and black tape to keep them together. Yes they cost more. You get what you pay for.

OK smarty.... I did use the "PROPER" power inlet from Marinco. I am assuming you have not used the one where the plug snaps into it as it is a POOR design as it only really locks into place on the top. Force against it will push the plug out of the bottom and it falls out! I did get exactly what I paid for! LOL

I'm not sure if the dig on Jim was joking or not..... but I will say that if any BOC member knows Marine Electrical, it would be Jim.
Jim's interest would be regarding whether or not an installation was safe, if the installation would meet regs, and let alone if it met the insurance company's criteria. You may want to check into this.

If this was a dig..... you may want to familiarize yourself with Jim's expertise in this area.

Just say'n!

Rick E. Portland, Oregon
2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
Twin 270 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set
Last Edit: by 2850Bounty.

Added built in dual battery charger with thru hull charger fitting 06 Jun 2014 15:15 #17

• MidnightSun
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 199
The unit being discussed is actually a "Marine" charger inlet made specifically for that purpose. I also have one however it is mounted on my Wave Runner. Works reasonably well for its intended use. ;) www.westmarine.com/adapters-plugs-outlet...harger-inlet--191991

Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos
Last Edit: by MidnightSun.

Added built in dual battery charger with thru hull charger fitting 07 Jun 2014 05:13 #18

• bbar64
Ok, thanks. Ill be looking for them. In the meantime I will continue to try and get it right.

Added built in dual battery charger with thru hull charger fitting 24 Jun 2016 03:25 #19

• shauno
  • Thank you received: 4
I changed the cigarette lighter socket on the starboard side of the cockpit to a merit socket and just hook the CTek battery charger up to It with a merit plug. Seems to work just fine

This message has an attachment image.

Shauno,
Brisbane, Australia
2006 185 BR
135 Mercruiser
  • Page:
Moderators: whiskywizarditsabowtime2
Time to create page: 0.131 seconds