Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: 2050 Swim platform build

2050 Swim platform build 20 Aug 2013 17:19 #1

• bayliner2050
  • bayliner2050's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
This wasn't complete so I hope this is the correct place to post.I decided to build my own platform 1. after pricing a new one 2. after not liking how high the bought ones are placed. I have a friend with a moomba and really like that his platform was in the water all the time, either just level or just below at all times, no ladder needed. After doing a lot of searching form platforms on bayliners I really didn't find what I was looking for but got some good ideas. I built my own brackets out of 2" angle iron and the top main braces out of 1.5" square tubing. The cross brasses are 3/4" conduit. I am still going to add to outside brackets and brasses but thought I would post the current progress. I used 2 sheets of 1/2" ply for the main area and then striped 1/2" ply around the perimeter for added thickness (mainly for looks but it will add some strength. I will glass 2 layers of 6oz mat with epoxy on top and bottom to add to the stiffness of the platform and I am going to paint the edging white and it will have a black soft pad glued to the top.How I decided on the placement was me and my son took the boat out and while tied off and neither of us in the waterline sat about 3" below the cut out in the center. With both of us sitting on the built in platform the waterline was about a 1/2" below that same point. I figure that we usually have a cooler and plan to add some ballast, so depending on where it's placed in the boat the platform should be where I want it and we should all be able to get back in the boat if we all go for a swim. I took a sharpie with us and marked to places on the side of the boat to give me a waterline reference to know how high to tilt the platform so that it was close to level with the water. I ended up making the end of it 1" higher than the part that is closest to the boat. That should have it at about a 1/2" angle when sitting in the water, again, depending on how much weight is in the boat. If the whole thing sits in the water with the boat loaded down, I will be fine with that. We wake board, ski, kneeboard and tube with the boat and none of these will be affected by the mounting point. We might try surfing and it might come into play there but I don't know yet. The size of the platform is: 69" at the boat, not sure at the curve and from just below the rub rail to the end of the platform is 26". I wanted the platform to also come out at least 6" past the back of the "tail fin" on the cavitation plate and it does. I will not be able to put the motor up all the way with the trailer button but there is plenty of clearance for driving with how far it is able to come up. I will get a picture of it in the up position too, I just didn't think about it when I was taking pictures. I hope this helps someone else out with the same hull. And I will update in a few days, after I have glass work done. I plan to try it out in a couple weeks on Labor day.
[img]/media/kunena/attachments/vb/804396=40337-swim platform 1.jpg
[img]/media/kunena/attachments/vb/804396=40338-swim platform 2.jpg
[img]/media/kunena/attachments/vb/804396=40339-swim platform 3.jpg
[img]/media/kunena/attachments/vb/804396=40340-swim platform 4.jpg

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

2050 Swim platform build 20 Aug 2013 17:28 #2

• Alaskanmutt
  • Anchorage Alaska
  • Thank you received: 323
Looking good so far.

Couple questions.....

The braces, hard to see but are they aluminium or stainless? (if they are steel will they rust?)

And

Do you boat in the fresh or salt?

I like the size.

Boatless at this time

A veteran is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America," for an amount of "up to and including their life."

2050 Swim platform build 20 Aug 2013 18:05 #3

• bayliner2050
Thanks. They are mild steel, I plan to paint them and see how bad they rust. I boat only in fresh water and the boat is never in the water more than 10 hours at a time and is stored in my garage. I figure if I have a problem with rusting I can use them as a pattern when I change them out. Plus if I decide I want to change the position, the mild steel was cheeper to experiment with.

2050 Swim platform build 20 Aug 2013 18:31 #4

• love2speed
Looks good be sure to post pictures of the final product. Also I'm wondering how much it cost you to make it yourself? I believe extended platforms can be purchased for $700-$1000?

2050 Swim platform build 20 Aug 2013 18:57 #5

• bayliner2050
I will post a final. I had some metal already and had about 1.5 qts of epoxy left over from a boat build. Bought the plywood and used plain wood glue between the layers. Bought another 1.5 qts of epoxy and fiberglass mat (not sure how much I will need yet but I like to have some on hand). Without paint, ($25) and pad that doesn't come with the purchased platform anyway ($150), I have $225 in the project at this point. I expect to have about $400 in it when done and a platform that is at and/or below water level.

2050 Swim platform build 20 Aug 2013 19:23 #6

• scarab63
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 31
Looks cool. Did ya take the added weight of the platform itself into consideration? I'd bet by the time it's done it'll be 150+ lbs hanging back there

2050 Swim platform build 21 Aug 2013 15:06 #7

• bayliner2050
scarab63, thanks, I thought about it but didn't know how to calculate the leverage of the weight, I'm hoping it will stay in or at the water line with nobody in the boat and no ballast. I'm just short of 200lbs so I'm sure when I start climbing on it, it will go under water. Without the epoxy the platform is 48lbs. With all the brackets I'm sure I'll be under 90lbs when doen but will post a final weight so people can have a reference.

2050 Swim platform build 22 Aug 2013 02:44 #8

• green650
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

love2speed;804413 wrote: Looks good be sure to post pictures of the final product. Also I'm wondering how much it cost you to make it yourself? I believe extended platforms can be purchased for $700-$1000?

I think they are closer to $2,000. If you add your material and labor costs, aftermarket ones are relatively cheap, but they are cookie cutter and not custom in anyway.

2050 Swim platform build 22 Aug 2013 04:14 #9

• Morecoffee
  • Thank you received: 17
On my boat the swim step is just above waterline, if it was all the way across at that level the the leg would hit it when raised. I thought that was the case for most boats in the 16 - 22 range. Interesting that you can get yours that low...

1979 32 Uniflite Sport Sedan twin 270 crusaders
2003 Bayliner 2152 210 Classic 5.0 mercruiser - sold
I wish I knew now what I didn't know then

2050 Swim platform build 22 Aug 2013 14:54 #10

• bayliner2050

green650;804851 wrote: I think they are closer to $2,000. If you add your material and labor costs, aftermarket ones are relatively cheap, but they are cookie cutter and not custom in anyway.

I figure with shiping $1500. I never figure my labor costs into anything. Have never understood why people do, I'm either out of pocket $1500 or I'm out of pocket $400, big differance for me. Plus like you said it wouldn't be custom to just buy one and if it was, it would be well over $2000.

2050 Swim platform build 22 Aug 2013 15:05 #11

• bayliner2050

Morecoffee;804871 wrote: On my boat the swim step is just above waterline. If it was full width the motor when raised would hit it. I thought that was the case for most boats in the 16 - 22 range. Interesting that you can get yours that low...

Just want to be clear that my outdrive will not raise to the full trailer up position with the platform in place, unless I make some type of hindged access for it. But where I have the platform mounted, the outdrive will raise high enough that it's not an issue while towing. What I plan to do when taking it out of the water is to trim up like normal, load on the trailer, push the trailer button for 2 seconds, pull boat out of the water and out of the way, take boards off the rack etc., while I'm in the boat I'll have my son look at the out drive while I raise it to just the bottom of the platform (or visa versa). My bass boat out board doesn't trailer as high as this one will with the platform, so I am 100% certain it will not be a problem. The distance from the trailer tires to the skeg are within inches of being the same on both boats.

2050 Swim platform build 22 Aug 2013 20:02 #12

• briankstan
  • Thank you received: 10
great work, looking forward to seeing the finished product.

1987 Bayliner 2150 bowrider (One of a Kind)
"Second Chance"
5.0 liter / OMC Cobra / 15 1/2 x 14 SS prop

2050 Swim platform build 22 Aug 2013 20:16 #13

• dktool
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • So Much Water, So Little Time
  • Thank you received: 15

bayliner2050;804991 wrote: Just want to be clear that my outdrive will not raise to the full trailer up position with the platform in place, unless I make some type of hindged access for it. But where I have the platform mounted, the outdrive will raise high enough that it's not an issue while towing. What I plan to do when taking it out of the water is to trim up like normal, load on the trailer, push the trailer button for 2 seconds, pull boat out of the water and out of the way, take boards off the rack etc., while I'm in the boat I'll have my son look at the out drive while I raise it to just the bottom of the platform (or visa versa). My bass boat out board doesn't trailer as high as this one will with the platform, so I am 100% certain it will not be a problem. The distance from the trailer tires to the skeg are within inches of being the same on both boats.

If it all works out, you could then disassembled the trim cylinders and put stroke-limiting spacers in the rod end or, install a trim switch on the transom so you can do it from the outside while watching the stop point.

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

The first would be best as no doubt someday Mr. Murphy will be on board and run the trailer switch all the way to the CRUNCH point.

" WET EVER "
1989 2459 TROPHY OFFSHORE 5.8L COBRA / SX
mmsi 338108404
mmsi 338124956
"I started with nothing and still have most of it left"

This image is hidden for guests.

It's only a rock, get over it.

2050 Swim platform build 25 Aug 2013 13:02 #14

• bayliner2050
Thanks dktool, I didn't know about the spacers and will definitely go that route.
Just a quick update: got 2 layers of fiberglass on the top and got the weave filled in. Will flip it tomorrow and finish the bottom.

2050 Swim platform build 04 Sep 2013 02:45 #15

• bayliner2050
Got the bottom done and got the pad in. Am working on smoothing out the glass and edges so I can paint it and stick the pad on. I decided on a Black Tip pad and really like the look of it. I'll post up some pictures when I get it painted. Without the pad it weighs 68 pounds. It took just short of 3 quarts of epoxy. I definitely could have done just 1 layer of 1/2 ply or 5/8 ply and with the fiberglass it would have been plenty stiff enough.

2050 Swim platform build 04 Sep 2013 03:02 #16

• kjs
  • Thank you received: 373

bayliner2050;808263 wrote: Without the pad it weighs 68 pounds. It took just short of 3 quarts of epoxy. I definitely could have done just 1 layer of 1/2 ply or 5/8 ply and with the fiberglass it would have been plenty stiff enough.

Good job and you have less weight than the Southern place in Phoenix making platforms! The Northern place beats you.... Even better and lighter than plywood would have been a 1" Last-A-Foam core (closed cell structural PU foam, ~4lbs/ft3). In between would have been a Balsa core and with Epoxy it would have never started to rot.
If you want to make your life easier for sanding make Epoxy putty with fumed Silica and apply a thin layer with it. That prevents that you sand off to many glass fibers.

Jürgen
boatless for the future (?)

Jürgen's boating library

2050 Swim platform build 05 Sep 2013 02:28 #17

• bayliner2050
Just wanted to update this post. I have completed the build. I desided to make my braces out of 3/16 x 1-1/2" square and round tubing. I used 1/4" thick plate to weld those braces too that got bolted to the boat and to the platform. I epoxied tee bolts to the platform so I could unbolt it without having to use 4200 to make it water proff where the bolts go through. I am happy with the way it turned out. I plan to take it to the lake this week and get some pictures of it in the water.
The platform was painted with Interlux brightside topcoat off white and the brackets were painted with the same paint in black. I wet sanded the platform and polished it but the brackets I just painted and didn't sand the final coat.

This message has attachments images.

Last Edit: by bayliner2050.

2050 Swim platform build 16 Jun 2014 17:08 #18

• bayliner2050
Edited last post with pics.

2050 Swim platform build 16 Jun 2014 17:27 #19

• fritzman
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Fritz, Boat- 2859 -1993 name Scotch&Water
  • Thank you received: 183
Looks good, hope the extra weight will not be a problem.

Old Glue

2050 Swim platform build 16 Jun 2014 18:07 #20

• check737
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 39
It looks good just hope it won't affect the boat getting on plane.
Let us know.
Cheers

My mistake, your fault
The only high maintenance accessory on a boat should come in a bikini

2050 Swim platform build 16 Jun 2014 18:21 #21

• Alaskanmutt
  • Anchorage Alaska
  • Thank you received: 323
Looks nice,
Moved to Completed Projects

Boatless at this time

A veteran is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America," for an amount of "up to and including their life."

2050 Swim platform build 18 Jun 2014 01:16 #22

• bayliner2050

check737 wrote: It looks good just hope it won't affect the boat getting on plane.
Let us know.
Cheers

I relocated the batteries to the front so I hope the weight will offset each other.

2050 Swim platform build 23 Jun 2014 15:20 #23

• bayliner2050
Well, got the boat out this weekend and it worked out great. The bottom of the platform sat right at the water line. I had removed the whale tail over the winter and put a 17p prop on instead of the 19p, done a 4bbl conversion. I was real pleased with the way the boat performed and the platform was exactly what I wanted.

2050 Swim platform build 23 Jun 2014 15:29 #24

• briankstan
  • Thank you received: 10
platform looks great. Glad if functions as you wanted. What did you use as the top "non-skid" surface?

1987 Bayliner 2150 bowrider (One of a Kind)
"Second Chance"
5.0 liter / OMC Cobra / 15 1/2 x 14 SS prop

2050 Swim platform build 23 Jun 2014 15:44 #25

• Bay245
  • Thank you received: 14
Looks Factory made. Congrats! on the results.

Current:
2003 Newport, Merc 2 stroke 50
2008 F-18 Deck Boat, 5.0 alpha 1 g2
Previous:
2005 Bayliner 245 Ciera, 5.0 alpha 1 g2
2007 Bayliner F-17, 3.0 alpha1 g2
2004 Crestliner Canadian, Suzuki 60
  • Page:
Moderators: whiskywizarditsabowtime2
Time to create page: 0.176 seconds