Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: 180 Trailer Brakes

180 Trailer Brakes 16 Jun 2013 20:23 #1

• awhite4
  • awhite4's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
While I am posting projects here is another I did earlier this Spring. My 180 came on a trailer without brakes which within a day of ownership struck me as totally insane. It took me a year and a half but I finally got around to fixing that problem. I used the Tie Down Engineering 9.6" GalvX coated Trailer Disc Brakes complete kit. There was some confusion initially because most references are to the 10" brakes but the 9.6" do in fact appear to have a different part number. While the online consensus was that the 10" brake would fit behind my 13" wheels I found a few sources that said it might not thus the reason for a 9.6" version. So I am still not certain if mine are different then what others call the 10" kit but I know they specifically said 9.6" when I ordered it. Glad I cleared that up? The other minor issue was brake line routing around the folding tongue. You can see in the photo how I resolved that. I understand it is not ideal to have the brake line rise there but it was the ideal solution to avoid line kinking issues. From there it is routed through the trailer frame. Everything was included and fit existing flanges, holes, etc. without additional parts.I did a terrible job documenting this project with photos mainly due to the massive amount of grease on my fingers. The photo of the original hub is to show the big steel pin that the axle manufacture uses in place of the cotter pin I expected to seal the internal grease tube. These things are REALLY not fun to remove. I spent as much time with a punch removing those pins as I did the rest of the axle related mechanics combined. Also to the safety conscious (which I very much am) please note there are in fact jack stands in use the view of which is obstructed by the jack which is not supporting the trailer in these photos!End result? FANTASTIC!! Way better then I would have ever imagined. It is almost as if my tow vehicle has no additional brake load from the trailer which was very much not the case before. I highly recommend disc brakes.

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

180 OB w/Optimax 125

180 Trailer Brakes 16 Jun 2013 20:42 #2

• kjs
  • Thank you received: 373
great job! It's one of the best improvements I did to my trailer too. Since then towing is a lot better and safer. If I would have a say I'd make brakes mandatory on all trailers above 1000lbs or even less.
I ran my brake line inside the folding tongue and drilled a hole on the top to get to the solenoid.

If and when your tires are due for replacement and your fenders are large enough upgrade to 14" wheels! Adds another level to the trailering experience.

Did your trailer come with that folding hinge? Would you be able to tell me the manufacturer of it? I am searching for a stronger one than the Fulton so I can extend the folding piece to 6ft length....

Looks like you have some center greasing spindles. That would mean that you should not use the BB seal killers......

Jürgen
boatless for the future (?)

Jürgen's boating library

180 Trailer Brakes 25 Jun 2016 00:52 #3

• omglas3r
  • Thank you received: 0
awhite4,
Sorry to open a dead thread, but we are about to buy the same boat. A 2011 180 and looks like the trailer doesn't have brakes of any kind. Did you ever find out if the 10" would fit? definitely see more options available for 10" kits than 9.6".

Thanks!

2011 Bayliner 180
Tie-Down Engineering Trailer Brakes
  • Page:
Moderators: whiskywizarditsabowtime2
Time to create page: 0.087 seconds