Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: New hatches for 1988 2655

New hatches for 1988 2655 14 Apr 2007 02:27 #1

• walz
  • walz's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
I have just installed new foredeck hatches on my 1988 2655 Ciera. The hatches are the 19 x 19 size from Jim Black and are a direct size replacment for the originals. The only problem I had was that the front hatch cutout was not square and the flange screw holes just lined up. I guess the original cut on the assembly line was made on a Friday afternoon! I decided to go with white hatches as I thought it made the boat look more modern. Overall I am very pleased and the price was right. I also bought the privacy shades and screen inserts. Pictures are attached below.

Bruce Walz
1988 2655 Ciera
Goose Harbor Marina, MD

Attached files [img]/media/kunena/attachments/vb/13724=409-New hatches 001.JPG [img]/media/kunena/attachments/vb/13724=410-New hatches 002.JPG [img]/media/kunena/attachments/vb/13724=411-New hatches 003.JPG [img]/media/kunena/attachments/vb/13724=412-New hatches 004.JPG [img]/media/kunena/attachments/vb/13724=413-New hatches 005.JPG

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Prof's Pleasure II
1998 Sea Ray 290 Sundancer
Twin 4.3L V6 with Alpha drives
Seneca Creek, MD
Former boat 1988 2655 Ciera

New hatches for 1988 2655 14 Apr 2007 03:05 #2

• thebaybabe
Niceeeee job! Did you do the work yourself or get it done professionally? I too have a 1988 2655 but I don't have the "covers/shades" that snap inside the cabin. Where did you get them?

Denise
Long Island, NY
1988 2655 Ciera Sunbridge 5.7 liter OMC Cobra engine & drive
Visit my photo album

New hatches for 1988 2655 14 Apr 2007 04:31 #3

• SkippyzAfloat
Wow, those look great. Would you recall what the total material cost was and where you bought the new hatches & accessories? Thanks!

Simon

'90 2655 Ciera Sunbridge"Stolen Moments" :cool:

New hatches for 1988 2655 14 Apr 2007 07:00 #4

• mars
looks great !

Greets from the Netherlands,
Marcel
"Sweet Thing"
Bayliner 2855 Ciera Sunbridge 1994
Mercruiser 5,7L

New hatches for 1988 2655 14 Apr 2007 11:33 #5

• thefamilyjewells
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Who is Jim Black ? And where did you get these? I am very interested in doing the same after seeing your job, looks great !

New hatches for 1988 2655 14 Apr 2007 12:27 #6

• domo1017
We just bought a 89 2650 and want to do the same thing. Where can we get them and is it an afternoon project or does it take longer? Also I thought I saw your boat has some kind of trim around the sunlights. Is that original to the boat or did you replace that as well. Let me know. Thanks

2007 195SE
Merc 4.3L
Fond du Lac, WI

New hatches for 1988 2655 14 Apr 2007 19:14 #7

• walz
Let me try and answer everyone's questions with more information about the hatches.

The hatches are from Jim Black & Associates in Tampa Florida, http://www.jimblackinc.com/ . They don't take credit cards so you have to pre-pay or COD. The lady that answers the phone is very helpful and they have the hatches in-stock.

The hatches were $172 each plus shipping. The insect screen insert is $25, and the privacy screen insert is $35. So $509.83 for everything. A lot less than a Bomar hatch. The units are all "plastic" but the quality is good. I espcially like the way they can be locked in a "vent position" while running or even while the boat is secured.

I removed the old hatches and installed the new ones myself. First hatch took about two hours including runs to the marina store for screws and such. Second went much faster. Hardest part was removing old hatch. I first removed the interior trim ring. I then removed the screws on the exterior flange. I forced a metal putty knife blade under the flange and slid it around the flange to break the caulking. The hatch then lifted right out. I cleaned up the area and was ready for the new hatch. Note that Bayliner did not seal the deck core with epoxy, so if you really want to be technical you could do this before putting in the new hatch. I bedded the hatches with Boatlife white caulk. You will need to drill some new holes as the hole pattern on the new hatch is slightly different from the old. For the interior trim ring, there are no pre-drilled holes. So what I did was clamp the ring in place, and drill four small holes through the spigot flange into the upright flange of the trim ring and screwed in place. You can see this in my interior shots. Makes for a neat job as there are no holes in the trim ring.

Someone asked if I had moulding around the deck windows? The answer is no, just a poor and messy caulk job from the previous owner. Redoing them is on my to-do list.

Hope this information is helpful. Let me know if you need any other information.

Bruce

Prof's Pleasure II
Seneca Creek, MD

New hatches for 1988 2655 14 Apr 2007 19:24 #8

• walz
If you are asking about the tan covers visible in the interior photos, they were made by a friend. I can do a lot of things, but sewing is not one of them! Wish I could though. The previous owner had made shades but I could not live with the inside of my boat looking like a big, flora living room sofa, so I had solid, neutral color ones made.

Bruce

Prof's Pleasure II
Seneca Creek, MD

New hatches for 1988 2655 14 Apr 2007 21:08 #9

• 2655/Trophy
Guys, I know your going to say I'm a screw ball. But here is what I ran into last spring when I took on this same job on our 1988 2655. The two hatch's where both OEM, And need'd replaced. So I took a measurement and off to the boat store I went. After getting my 2 new hatchs, I started to remove the old one's. Finding that the cut holes where not only out of wack, But the front hatch was 7/8 of a inch larger then the rear. And nothing would fit this hole, no one had this size. I even has the West Marine guy stop down, And he said he NEVER had seen anything like it. After talking to others I have found that this is not uncommon on these boats in these years. So what I had to do was have have one custom made for the hole. I thougt I might get lucky and be able to cut to a larger cut out. But after looking at it, And how the hole was out of shape I would have been looking at major work. And the custom hatch costed me or $600.00. So before you start this job , be sure your not into debacle before you start. After looking at the old Oem hatchs they had a tabe that was over 2 inchs for the frame of the hatch. (A lot of wiggle room) to be installed onto the deck. The new Bomar's only had 1/2 in. (a lot less wiggle room). I'm not sure where in the late 1980's the 2655's where beging mfg., but there sure was some sloppy work beging done.

1988, 2655 Sunbridge. (Now with Volvo DP-SM DUO-PROP)
2000, 2052 Trophy.
Mantua, Ohio
"A government big enough to give you...

New hatches for 1988 2655 10 Mar 2008 01:59 #10

• GregM
Does any one know if the Jim Black Bug Screen and Privacy Cover will fit the above boat's foward hatch...

What size fits (18.5 or 19)...

Assuming they sell these without buying the complete hatch.

Thanks for your help...

Greg

New hatches for 1988 2655 11 Mar 2008 10:28 #11

• moultdkdj
  • Thank you received: 13
nice clean job, the white looks alot better than the black, think I'll be ordering a new hatch this year.

Dave
2004 Bayliner 305(twin 220hp Bravo II drives)
2008 Yamaha FX Cruiser
2012 Yamaha FX Cruiser HO
http://baylinerownersclub.org/gallery2/main.php?g2_itemId=11187

New hatches for 1988 2655 11 Mar 2008 16:56 #12

• stevej2655
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
nice job, I need to do the same :cool:

Steve j
1989 Ciera 2655 - 7.5 L OMC K/C *sold*" in search of the next one :D
The Weathers Here, Wish you Were Beautiful"
Jimmy Buffett for President :arr
Margaritaville - It's not just a destination...it's a state of mind!

New hatches for 1988 2655 21 Apr 2008 23:44 #13

• Inspiration1
I own a 1989 2450 bayliner ciera and would like to know what the size of the rough opening that was on your 26 footer. My rough opening is 17 1/2 X 17 1/2
I checked out the web site you sent us to and they don't stock that size but in looking at the web site I checked out the 16 inch and it has a cut out size of
17 1/2. Is this the one that I need to bu?

Thanks for any help with this...

• Page:
Moderators: whiskywizarditsabowtime2
Time to create page: 0.140 seconds