Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Kicker on 2355

Kicker on 2355 01 May 2012 19:19 #1

• Mike A
  • Mike A's Avatar Topic Author
  • Ladysmith Vancouver Island
  • Thank you received: 9
When I started this project there was only a few threads with kickers on this style of boat so thought just in case others are thinking about this maybe the pictures will help.I have just completed installing a Yamaha 9.9 High Thrust on the swim platform of my 2355. The motor has electric start and remote throttle and shift controls that I mounted at the helm. To steer it I attached a Panther T4 electric steering system that will let me steer from almost any where on the boat. This was not a cheap set because I bought new... over $4K, but I can now troll for salmon and have a backup if main engine fails.

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1997 2355
5.7 liter Alpha 1 Gen 2

Ladysmith Vancouver Island

Kicker on 2355 01 May 2012 23:50 #2

• Robert2150
  • Thank you received: 0

Mike A;680459 wrote: When I started this project there was only a few threads with kickers on this style of boat so thought just in case others are thinking about this maybe the pictures wil help.I have just completed installing a Yamaha 9.9 High Thrust on the swim platform of my 2355. The motor has electric start and remote throttle and shift controls that I mounted at the helm. To steer it I attached a Panther T4 electric steering system that will let me steer from almost any where on the boat. This was not a cheap set because I bought new... over $4K, but I can now troll for salmon and have a backup if main engine fails.

Wow, beautiful installation, This will be a future project of mine someday but most likely with a period motor more suitable for my 84 2150. Ok, an old motor that I can afford.:worthNice job

"Got into boating because it seemed like it was a cheap and non time consuming endeavor" :oops
Robert Gordon
Sydney, NS
Canada
1984 Ciera 2150SB (Sold)
2001 Wellcraft Martinique 2400 5.7L Volvo/SX (Summer of 2012)

Kicker on 2355 02 May 2012 18:10 #3

• Spinaxis
Mike,

This is what I want to do also. I picked up a 4 stroke 9.9 Merc el start. I have a swing-down bracket that I could use, but that would mean having to cut off some of my teak swim platform.

Where did you get your flat bracket from?

I also will be getting the throttle controls/cables for the helm for around $250.00, but no-way can afford your steering system. But it does sound sweet. I will probably be going with a steering bar of some type.

1985 2160 Hardtop with teak swim platform.

Dutch

Kicker on 2355 02 May 2012 23:41 #4

• Mike A
I bought the braket where I bought the motor, SG Power in Victoria BC, they are made localy on Vancouver Island. I am sure you can get one esle where if you brows the net.

1997 2355
5.7 liter Alpha 1 Gen 2

Kicker on 2355 07 May 2012 01:43 #5

• Reel Power
  • Thank you received: 16
Adventure marine probably makes that bracket.

My boat shall rise like a wet phoenix (after I deplete all monetary resources).

Kicker on 2355 15 Apr 2016 00:59 #6

• stansandall
Hello .... I have a 1997 2355 , bought it last year .. I love your set up and will look to reproduce it , My question is the 2355 is heavy on that side of the boat. Did the motor make this worse ? Also any idea how to best set up rod holders for light trolling in Lake Michigan ? Also doe the small fuel tank cause any issues for you and how you use your boat day to day . ... thanks for any advice ...Stan

Kicker on 2355 15 Apr 2016 16:17 #7

• Mike A
I don't know if the weight of the kicker causes it but I do have to adjust the trim while at cruising speed. I have Scotty downriggers and use the rod holders on them, I have them mounted as far back towards the stern as I could and accessed the nuts for the bolts to secure them through the side vents. I don't use the small tank instead ran a line through the fuel filter on the big engine and draw fuel from the main tank. Hope this helps. :cheer:

1997 2355
5.7 liter Alpha 1 Gen 2

Kicker on 2355 18 Apr 2016 11:43 #8

• Obi
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 158
Nice work, i have been contemplating this kind of mod for a long time but the main reason i have not brought my thought to reality is the fact that i feel my boat (242) is already rear-heavy enough from the design and i am afraid that adding the weight of an outboard on the swimplatfom , especially to one side can not bring good tidings.
Let us know how things work out after a few weeks of testin please.

Bayliner 242 EU (2006)
5.0 L Mercruiser , Alpha I gen II .
Raw water cooling.

Kicker on 2355 18 Apr 2016 16:13 #9

• crazy_russian
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • 2005 Bayliner 222 EC hardtop
  • Thank you received: 55
Is 10 HP enough? I am also thinking about adding a kicker but was thinking 15-20HP.

2005 Bayliner 222 hardtop, 5.0 2 bbl carb, 14x19 SS prop, 18x9 Bennet trim tabs with EIC. Noland analog to NMEA 2000 converter, Garmin GFS 10 fuel flow sensor
  • Page:
Moderators: whiskywizarditsabowtime2
Time to create page: 0.107 seconds