Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Swim Step Staple Rails

Swim Step Staple Rails 07 May 2008 06:34 #1

• harbordawg
  • harbordawg's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Removeable staple rails. Rails are set in sockets so that they are removeable, maufactured by Tanner Manufacturing in Bellingham. I promised my wife I would install these after she fell off of the swim step, so here they are 4 years later.

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Swim Step Staple Rails 07 May 2008 10:40 #2

• thefamilyjewells
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Did your wife come back up after she fell off ? It only took you 4 years ? Thats telling me something...LOL

Looks great.

Swim Step Staple Rails 08 May 2008 04:28 #3

• JimMc
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 259
Your rails look very elegant. Nice job. Sorry to learn you lost the wife though. :kidding

I designed mine and included a ladder for my wife. The original ladder was pretty bad. Sorry the picture is not better.

Jim and Debbie McNeely
New Hope a 2004 Bayliner 305 Sunbridge Express Cruiser
Twin 5.7s with Bravo2 drives
Brighton, Michigan USA
MMSI # 367393410

Swim Step Staple Rails 08 May 2008 20:20 #4

• KennyFerret
  • Thank you received: 17
harbordawg,

Nice job! I thought about doing this to my 4788 but decided not to go ahead when I found that the 4788 boarding platform was cored with a very lightweight foam. I had concerns about this in terms of strength, compression etc. Is your 490 platform cored? Did you resin fill the socket area first or how did you fit it? Are the sockets fastened under the platform as well?

Ken

'94 4788 - "Crystal Voyager "

If you can dream it, you can do it

Swim Step Staple Rails 08 May 2008 22:53 #5

• The_Sea_Word
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Are those to retain the wives aboard or to keep them from reboarding?? :)

All I could think of when I saw that picture, was DARN that's the NICEST EISENGLASS I have EVER SEEN!!!

The rails are good, real good, but the Eisenglass is SPECTACULAR!

Swim Step Staple Rails 09 May 2008 04:32 #6

• harbordawg
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Like most projects on a boat, there are always surprises. The swim step on the 490 is exactly the same as the 47, and is cored. I found out the swim step was cored after I drilled into it. The area where the struts are bolted into is reinforced with wood. I am told that the cored swim step is very strong and light weight, but the core needs to sealed and reinforced so that swim platform does not crush when you through bolt it, and the core does not absorb water.

The process was actually very simple. I first used a Dremil (you can also use an Allen wrench attached to a drill) to remove an inch of the coring, between the fiberglass. I then used West Systems 105 Epoxy resin, 205 hardener and 406 Colloidal Silica. You mix the three together according to their direction, until it reaches the consistency of peanut butter. You than use a large Popsicle stick to replace the removed coring with the resin, and to smooth out the edges of the hole. You than allow it to setup, drill the holes for the through bolts and use 5200 to embed your sockets and bolts.

The cockpit en-closer was done by Greg's Canvas in Gig Harbor, WA. The material is duraplex acrylic that is similar to that used in Rainier bonded windows(Barrett), but a few mills thinner. Greg is able to sew through the product, which reduces the cost from the bonded product. I am told that the windows are very hard to sew through and is very hard on the hands, and so most choose not to use the product. The windows are very clear, resist scratching and doesn't yellow. They will not roll up, but will hinge on the zippers like a door, so that you can open them and attach them to the roof of the hardtop or open them like a door, and hold them in place with a snap.
They are wonderful up on the fly bridge! The cockpit enclosure cost $3500, which was $400 more than Stata Glass

Alan

d

Swim Step Staple Rails 09 May 2008 08:04 #7

• The_Sea_Word
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Wow, I looked up Rainier bonded windows, I have never heard of or seen these semi-rigid windows before, but it explains your outside corners. I thought yours were vinyl and the shape floored me, that would be practically impossible to get vinyl to do! Thanks for teaching me something completely new!

Swim Step Staple Rails 10 May 2008 14:30 #8

• wvboater
  • Thank you received: 4
Can you provide a web site or similar for purchase information of the Tanner staple rails. I may be interested in these.
WVboater

"GLORY BOUND"

2007 245, 5.0 Alpha 1
2009 (new in 2011) Seadoo RXT-215
Two little itty-bitty ride on top kayaks!
Land Travel accomplished with 2007 3500 CC D/A DRW Chevrolet Silverado

Swim Step Staple Rails 11 May 2008 07:38 #9

• harbordawg
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Tanner's sight is www.RadarArch.com . You can also look at the thread, "Stainless steel fabricator in the NW",for some more info, in the Motoryacht area. Alan

Swim Step Staple Rails 12 May 2008 16:55 #10

• Noodles
  • Thank you received: 0
I like the looks of those. Great job!

Now a spin off question if I may. Is there any good online source to find SS rail? I want to add a small section to the stern (my Ciera didn't come with the stern rail on the back)

'85 Ciera 2150 AQ225D 280B **The Great South Bay**
"I'd rather be sitting on my boat thinking about God, then in church thinking about my boat."
  • Page:
Moderators: whiskywizarditsabowtime2
Time to create page: 0.108 seconds