Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Old TV out, new bar and flat TV in

Old TV out, new bar and flat TV in 20 Apr 2008 16:52 #1

• Tedinva
  • Tedinva's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
I decided to make better use of the "TV niche" on my 2003 285 and turn in into a bar. First, a shot of what the old tube TV looked like in the space.

After removing the TV, I had to install a door. Luckily, Bayliner now makes a door for this space in newer models that fits my boat, but the door opens to the side. I wanted a drop-down bar like a secretarial desk. So I had to modify their part a bit and buy hinges and hardware at the local hardware store. I used the Bayliner latch on the door to make it look like the rest of the cabinets on my boat.

Now the door drops down and provides a bar top on which to mix drinks! I also made sure it was at the same level as the rest of the galley countertop so it could be used when fixing food as extra counter space.

Next, I still wanted to be able to watch TV. Since analog braodcasts of TV are going to cease anyway in 2009, it was time to upgrade this hardware anyway. After much searching, I found a 15" LCD HDTV that uses a 12v external power supply. This is key because I wanted to be able to run the TV on battery power. Most TV's have the supply built in, but this model has an external 12v supply. I found it online at Best Buy

I mounted it on a folding arm that hides it behind the curtain of the V-Berth when not in use, and extends all the way out in front of the bar when it's time to watch. I was amazed at the number and quality of channels I was able to watch with the new DTV signal! Where before I received one fuzzy station in my slip, I now get over a dozen clearly!

I'll tidy up the wiring later.

Attached files

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Old TV out, new bar and flat TV in 20 Apr 2008 18:34 #2

• ModMMax
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
Nice job.

Old TV out, new bar and flat TV in 21 Apr 2008 23:55 #3

• stgoldwing
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Very nice job Ted, where did you order the door? and how much did it cost? I have the same boat and my admiral wants a door, I also did the same thing about the flat screen TV.

Old TV out, new bar and flat TV in 22 Apr 2008 01:56 #4

• Tedinva
  • Tedinva's Avatar Topic Author
I went to my local Bayliner dealer and ordered it from their parts department. The door is listed on the 2007 model parts under galley. You should look at the diagram and parts list for yourself at their web site

1807985 DOOR, CAB 18 WIDE X 13.75 TV NICHE CHERRY

That's JUST the piece of wood. You may also want....

1719529 CATCH, PUSH TO CLOSE FIXED GRIP CHR UN500
1701709 CATCH, F/HATCH HINGE WHT
1693100 HINGE, CAB 120DEG SNAP-ON 3803VS/300
1693101 HINGE, ANGLED BASEPLATE ADAPTER
1702239 SPACER, HINGE 1/8" THICK

I only bought the door and the catch because I used my own hinges. Total for those items was about $80. The door itself has cutouts where the hinges normally go, which I had to fill in with "plastic wood". Since I covered the entire back side with non-skid material you don't really see it. But I suppose you could also paint to cover the fill-in.

Ted

Old TV out, new bar and flat TV in 22 Apr 2008 03:39 #5

• stgoldwing
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Thank you very much Ted, this website will be very helpful.

• Page:
Moderators: whiskywizarditsabowtime2
Time to create page: 0.083 seconds