Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: '87 1950 Capri bowrider resto update!!! W/pics!!!

'87 1950 Capri bowrider resto update!!! W/pics!!! 09 Sep 2011 21:14 #1

• Cpt.Canuck
  • Cpt.Canuck's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
Hey all, I just thought it's been a while since i updated and i've been taking lots of pics along the way. I hurt my back at work this week and can't work at work so the wife says i shouldn't be working on Carrots either. A lot has happened since i posted anything so i'll keep it somewhat linear.

first, back in February, we split the top off from the hull and hung it from the rafters at work while i cut and ground out pretty much everything wood

Not long into grinding we realized it wasn't practical to have all that fibreglass dust in an auto shop and were gonna wait for spring so i could just grind outside. During the 2 month wait my admiral and I bought our first house and lo and behold it had a garage just big enough for the hull so i moved it home. Note how close she is to the doors my god. That's my bosses truck i used to bring it home and came MM away from scratching it.

Next, against all sage like advice, I pulled the boat off the trailer onto tires for a few months while i worked on grinding out the back deck and stringers and transom for the kicker mountplate and massive new transom patch.
I realize it was a mistake to put it on tires but i got lucky when i put it back on the trailer that no damage was done whatsoever, there was just no other option at the time that i brought it home.

More pictures and story to follow shortly

Attached files

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

'87 1950 Capri bowrider resto update!!! W/pics!!! 09 Sep 2011 21:56 #2

• Cpt.Canuck
ok so continuing on, a gang of friends came over to help move the top onto the trailer. i built a little support on the trailer so i could move the top out of the way and get to fixing the transom. I then worked a few weekends on grinding down the old glass and leftover wood out of the centre and portside of the transom. While i'm replacing the main engine mount part of the transom, i'm installing a layer of 3/4 marine fir so i can mount my late fathers '56 Johnson 7&1/2 as a kicker motor.

eventually i got the sheet of plywood in and cut the 2 layers that are to become the main part and the single piece for the kicker mount.

glassed both pieces in over a couple of weekends eventually the gelcoat is gonna be matched up by my former high school's autobody class.
right before i glassed it all in, I painted the trailer and replaced the bunks and put the boat back on it.

so, some of the pics wouldn't load this time around but i'll give it another shot

This coming weekend, if my back cooperates i'm hoping to cut out all of the remaining fore and aft decks and start the grinding. My goal with my every other weekend schedule, is to get the stringers, transom knees and rear deck glassed in before winter. By January it'll become impractical to heat my shop enough to glass. I figure i'll do wiring and install the top half and maybe do the impeller on the outboard while the gelcoat is repaired

Attached files

'87 1950 Capri bowrider resto update!!! W/pics!!! 09 Sep 2011 22:03 #3

• Cpt.Canuck
so, i can't quite figure out how to resize pics at moment but as soon as the admiral gets home i'll get on it

'87 1950 Capri bowrider resto update!!! W/pics!!! 10 Sep 2011 03:41 #4

• FlashJim
I'll be watching this closely!

Jim
Houston, TX
ClubBayliner

'87 1950 Capri bowrider resto update!!! W/pics!!! 10 Sep 2011 13:37 #5

• Cpt.Canuck
so here are some of the pics that wouldn't work while setting up the thread. There's a couple of the patch before glass and while it's setting up.... the freshly painted trailer, one of the hole i had to deal with from the PO.

I included a pic of the seat layout it came with. I'm curious about this setup because i've never seen it on any of your posts or on any capri's i've seen moored at local marina's. I know that a previous owner had the top painted red. I believe at this time the upholstery was re-done and i'm thinking that this setup was created. I really like it and plan on fully re-doing the same design when i get to the seat boxes. I'm curious if anyone has seen this setup before.

I hope everyone enjoys the pics. I've been meaning to do this for a while. All the help so far has been appreciated and as you can probably tell, a lot more will be needed

Attached files

[img]/media/kunena/attachments/vb/610869=17874-patch and floor.jpg

[img]/media/kunena/attachments/vb/610869=17873-transom patch.jpg

'87 1950 Capri bowrider resto update!!! W/pics!!! 13 Sep 2011 18:11 #6

• husika42
Wow nice work, didn't know the hull was able to be separated like that. As for the seating that's a unique setup, I kind of like it.

1988 Bayliner Capri 1950 bowrider - SOLD June 2016

'87 1950 Capri bowrider resto update!!! W/pics!!! 25 Sep 2011 19:06 #7

• Cpt.Canuck
So i finally finished ripping the deck and stringers out. MY god i can't get over the floatation foam. I've heard you guys talk about it being a pain in the arse, but words really don't do it justice.

Not only did it take 4 hours just to do the foam under the bow deck. But the shear amount of water still in there. This boat hasn't been in water in 5 years and it's been garaged. When I acquired it, it spent the first month in my shop with the trailer tongue suspended from the rafters draining. I cannot get over the water still under and in all that foam after all of that.

Sorry I haven't got any pics of this particular project, but the admiral is away with the camera this weekend.

'87 1950 Capri bowrider resto update!!! W/pics!!! 19 Aug 2017 20:06 #8

• BigDuke6
Would love to see the final results.

• Page:
Moderators: whiskywizarditsabowtime2
Time to create page: 0.097 seconds