Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Replacing Fuel Tank 2855

Replacing Fuel Tank 2855 20 Aug 2011 00:01 #26

• douglee25
  • Thank you received: 0
Looks good! I would even consider enlarging the drain holes while you're in there.

Doug

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replacing Fuel Tank 2855 23 Aug 2011 17:36 #27

• Tony B
  • Tony B's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 1
I spent this weekend cleaning out the fuel tank area. There were a lot of loose fiberglass strands that I cleaned up along with the other normal gunk. I also scraped off a bunch of those loose strands so that they did not eventually make it down to the bottom & clog the drain hole. I am thinking about applying a thin coat of resin to that area just to lock in the rest of the fiberglass & make it smoother for water to transition out. I’m not sure if that would be worth it or not. I also discovered that the forward bilge does not drain through that area. I thought that everything would be tied together & lead to the lowest area of the boat, the bilge. I guess I was wrong. Also, I was considering enlarging the fuel tank area’s drain hole, but have reconsidered. With that area now being totally clean & free of debris, I don’t see drainage to be a problem. Hopefully fuel tank will be going in next weekend. I will be posting pictures of that also. :D

Tony :D
1998, Bayliner 2855 Ciera
Mercruiser 502 (415hp)
Bravo III
2006, Aluminum (bunk) trailer

Replacing Fuel Tank 2855 31 Aug 2011 20:22 #28

• dewman
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 13
Well how goes the battle?

1980 Saratoga 2550 SOLD
1999 Regal 2760
MMSI 338121957

Replacing Fuel Tank 2855 31 Aug 2011 20:58 #29

• Tony B
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
Engine is going back in next week so everything has to be done this weekend. I will post pics of the progress soon. Thanks for asking.:D

Mercruiser 502 (415hp)
Bravo III

Replacing Fuel Tank 2855 31 Aug 2011 22:21 #30

• douglee25
Awesome!

Replacing Fuel Tank 2855 02 Sep 2011 02:43 #31

• dwoodford
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
Great job Tony! I know that one day I'll have to do mine your info will prove to be quit valuable, not that I enjoy profiting from others pain:D

Replacing Fuel Tank 2855 03 Oct 2011 15:30 #32

• Tony B
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
Here are the rest of the pictures. This is after a good scrubbing & a coat of resin to lock in all of those loose fiberglass fibers. There were quite a lot of them floating around in there clogging the drain hole along with dirt & other crud. It is clean & smooth now & should have no problem draining water.

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

Here is the bulk head that I replaced & glassed in. It is not going anywhere. I was going to tint the resin but never got around to it. It is definitely water proof!

Here is the new tank being prepped. After some research & thought I decided to reuse the old strips that the old tank was resting on with the following important changes. Since I was not sure exactly what they were made of, (seemed like some type of rubbery substance), I decided to use thin plastic strips in between the new tank & the old strips. I used 5200 to first attach the plastic strips & completely seal around all edges so that no water could not possibly get trapped between them & the tank. Trust me, that aint happening! Then I used 5200 to attach the old spacing strips & once again sealed around those edges also.

These spacing strips will provide plenty of support & room for air circulation. They will also not interfere with water draining out of the bottom of the compartment.
The new tank did not just slip into place without some coaxing, go figure. I had to do a little grinding & sanding on some of the fiberglass in the compartment in order to get it to finally slide all the way down. The old tank was super tight coming out so in retrospect I should have had them make it maybe ¼” smaller on the length & width & I would have had a much easier time getting in there. I’ll remember for next time, yeah right!

Another view from inside the cabin

[/SIZE]

Mercruiser 502 (415hp)
Bravo III

Replacing Fuel Tank 2855 03 Oct 2011 15:36 #33

• Tony B
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
Here is the view from the engine compartment with the back wall reinstalled. The back wall & floor came out in two pieces. Basically the back wall & half the floor was one piece & then the rest of the floor was the other piece. They were screwed & glassed in & then I installed the fire resistant/sound deadening foam on the back wall in the engine compartment. I think it looks better then the original, but hey I might be bias.

I decided to install this mounting board that I sealed with resin for mounting the battery charger & switch. It is also a good place to install the wiring busses & accessories. It is nice & thick so I don’t have to worry about screwing through the wall like before.

This wiring buss is a lot nicer then the old one I had that just had a place for the positive connections & was not covered. This will help me to eliminate the “rat’s nest” on the battery terminals.

There is also no electrical tape, that I know of, on any of the wiring that I redid. I replaced a bunch of cheap butt connectors & terminals with proper marine grade connectors with built in shrink wrap. Then I used additional black marine grade shrink wrap to seal them even further. All splices are double sealed as well.
This has been a challenging project to say the least. I learned a great deal & got a lot of extra stuff done while the engine was out. I figured I saved about $3K & lost about 15 lbs in the Florida heat. The new “remanufactured” engine will hopefully be installed this week. [/SIZE] :cool

Mercruiser 502 (415hp)
Bravo III

Replacing Fuel Tank 2855 03 Oct 2011 16:31 #34

• kleake
Man that looks nice! I took my 2755 out for the first ride yesterday and realized the tank is leaking much worse than I thought, so I will be replacing it over this winter. Your pictures and details are a life saver! Yours looks very clean and neat and you have done a great job! This thread should become a sticky! :worth

1993, Bayliner 2755 Ciera
Mercruiser 7.4L (330hp)
Bravo I
2002 Aluminum triple axle trailer

Replacing Fuel Tank 2855 03 Oct 2011 16:36 #35

• biohazard
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
looks good tony nice work!

Ryan
Hastings, Minnesota

"Sonnie Due"
1999 Bayliner Ciera 3055
Twin Mercruiser 5.7L Bravo 2[/FONT]
MMSI : 338122217
"If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first.....invent the universe"
- Carl Sagan

Replacing Fuel Tank 2855 04 Oct 2011 20:16 #36

• ishiboo
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 21

biohazard;617351 wrote: looks good tony nice work!

+1.

Tank installed properly, bulkhead insulated, board installed for mounting current and future components... you'll thank yourself for all this in the future :) I'd bilgekote the plywood quick tho. ;)

2005 Crownline 316 LS "The Lucille"

Replacing Fuel Tank 2855 05 Oct 2011 18:35 #37

• douglee25
Nice work!

Doug

Replacing Fuel Tank 2855 05 Oct 2011 21:02 #38

• Tony B
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member

ishiboo;617764 wrote: +1.

Tank installed properly, bulkhead insulated, board installed for mounting current and future components... you'll thank yourself for all this in the future :) I'd bilgekote the plywood quick tho. ;)

Good advise. It is already coated with resin. Can I just bilgekote right over that? If so, I will hit the fuel tank bulk head with some of that also. Thanks!!:worth

Mercruiser 502 (415hp)
Bravo III

Replacing Fuel Tank 2855 06 Oct 2011 01:15 #39

• ishiboo
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 21

Tony B;618102 wrote: Good advise. It is already coated with resin. Can I just bilgekote right over that? If so, I will hit the fuel tank bulk head with some of that also. Thanks!!:worth

Sure. It's just an appearance thing, no buggy :)

Thanks for the postings, fuel tank replacement is a valuable resource for people and it's great to have documented the process.

2005 Crownline 316 LS "The Lucille"

Replacing Fuel Tank 2855 06 Oct 2011 10:45 #40

• Fish-a-Palooza
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 53
Nice job Tony! I just re-did my tank last year and used the 5200 as well to seal the cushion straps. I was luckier though with my Victoria. Once the motor was out I was able to remove the tank without having to cut anything.:cool

Wayne
1988 2160 Trophy (BH) 4.3L, Volvo Penta DP-S1, D5 props (MMSI: 338120888)
1988 1710 Fish-N-Ski (Bass Trophy), Force 125HP

Do something! Lead: Follow: or get out of the way.

Replacing Fuel Tank 2855 06 Oct 2011 14:46 #41

• dewman
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 13

Tony B;618102 wrote: Good advise. It is already coated with resin. Can I just bilgekote right over that? If so, I will hit the fuel tank bulk head with some of that also. Thanks!!:worth

Yes you can bilgecote over resin, just rough it up a bit first with sandpaper.

http://i1081.photobucket.com/albums/j358/dew1com/Bilgebeforeandafter.jpg

1980 Saratoga 2550 SOLD
1999 Regal 2760
MMSI 338121957

Replacing Fuel Tank 2855 07 Oct 2011 17:55 #42

• Namaste
Hello from Germany :)

many thanks for this useful report. Great!
It made me loose my fear in case of that this :drama happens to me.
Now I know what to do then...
You have to know that I`m also owner of one of these critical series, a 2655 from `96.

:cool

Replacing Fuel Tank 2855 08 Oct 2011 14:31 #43

• Sbenson11
Great job that I hope I never have to do, however I now know how to do it if need be.

My only question is the clearance between the front of the engine and your MBSS?

Steve

1996 Bayliner 2855 Ciera
Mercruiser 7.4L
Bravo III
A superior Captain is one who uses he’s superior judgment to avoid situations that might require the use of his superior skills

Replacing Fuel Tank 2855 10 Oct 2011 14:24 #44

• Tony B
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
Finally got the engine installed. Everything seems to be working fine. The only problem is that the weather here in Florida has been so bad this weekend that I couldn't lake it out on the water. I was tempted a couple of times but then another front would come in & drop a couple more inches of water with 40 mph winds. There is only so much fun you can have running it on a hose in the driveway.:thumb

[/SIZE]

Mercruiser 502 (415hp)
Bravo III

Replacing Fuel Tank 2855 10 Oct 2011 14:29 #45

• Tony B
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member

Sbenson11;618965 wrote: Great job that I hope I never have to do, however I now know how to do it if need be.

My only question is the clearance between the front of the engine and your MBSS?Steve

It is close, but there is about 6 inches clearance between the fly wheel & the MBSS. Since I never switch the batteries while the engine is running, I don’t see it being a problem at the moment.:right

Mercruiser 502 (415hp)
Bravo III

Replacing Fuel Tank 2855 10 Oct 2011 18:03 #46

• Sbenson11
I was just curious, mine would be kind of a tight fit, then again I have a closed cooling system and the heat exchanger is on the front of the engine. My MBSS is in the transom storage compartment, but I think the PO moved it there.

Now that I see your completed engine compartment I have another question, is this layout stock? Location of the water heater, batteries, etc? Or did you change all of this around.

Steve

1996 Bayliner 2855 Ciera
Mercruiser 7.4L
Bravo III
A superior Captain is one who uses he’s superior judgment to avoid situations that might require the use of his superior skills

Replacing Fuel Tank 2855 10 Oct 2011 19:25 #47

• Tony B
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member

Sbenson11;619645 wrote: I was just curious, mine would be kind of a tight fit, then again I have a closed cooling system and the heat exchanger is on the front of the engine. My MBSS is in the transom storage compartment, but I think the PO moved it there.

Now that I see your completed engine compartment I have another question, is this layout stock? Location of the water heater, batteries, etc? Or did you change all of this around. Steve

I honestly don't know. Everything was where it was when we bought it. Very, very few 2855s (that I have seen) have a generator so I would imagine that the batteries & probably the water heater would be located on the starboard side, normally, if no genset. I would think that the holding tank would still be located on the port side due to the proximity of the head. How is yours set up? Are you looking at making some changes?:cool

Mercruiser 502 (415hp)
Bravo III

Replacing Fuel Tank 2855 10 Oct 2011 21:06 #48

• Sbenson11
Mine has the water heater and one battery on the port side and the holding tank and another battery(not on top of the tank) on the starboard side. The only changes I have planned is to turn the water heater sideways to fit another battery on the port side. Possibly an inverter, not sure yet.

Most of my boating is day trips, so I don't see me ever putting in a generator.

Steve

1996 Bayliner 2855 Ciera
Mercruiser 7.4L
Bravo III

Replacing Fuel Tank 2855 11 Oct 2011 21:50 #49

• R.J.Dawg
Great job replacing the tank. I have read numerous threads about this very problem and was wondering if it only affects certain years or models?

Replacing Fuel Tank 2855 29 May 2012 12:56 #50

• imacorn

Tony B;603414 wrote: Holy crap that was a lot harder than it looks!!!

That was harder than taking out the other stuff due to the angle of the cuts, the toughness of the fiberglass & the fact that it was right up against the tank. I still want to see what what is causing the leak so I don't want to damage it just in case it is a simple repair. The tank STILL won't budge, but to be honest with you my hands feel heavy right about now so maybe it is just me. The starboard side of the tank is totally not touching anything. I am able to run a hand saw all along the side with no binding. I will try & carefully pry that side up first tomorrow morning after I recoop.:surr Where is the 800 mg Ibuprofin & the Miller Lite honey???!!!

Also, I want to thank Ed (Astral Blue) for suggesting this tool. I don't know how I would have taken out that bulk head without it. Plus now I have another cool tool!! :cool
http://www.harborfreight.com/power-tools/oscillating-tools/oscillating-multifunction-power-tool-68303.html.
I actually bought the cordless version of this. It was also on sale, but I should have bought an extra battery. :oops

The link to the tool is gone. What tool was it?

New owner of a 2651 with a fuel tank leak.
I love boats!?!?

PS, I am in Tampa area if you want to do another one since you are now a pro. Think of the satisfaction of posing with another tank you slayed.

Moderators: whiskywizarditsabowtime2
Time to create page: 0.149 seconds