Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: 1989 1750 restoration

1989 1750 restoration 08 Apr 2008 05:50 #26

• mckinneymt
  • mckinneymt's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1989 1750 restoration 08 May 2008 06:39 #27

• mckinneymt
  • mckinneymt's Avatar Topic Author
I'm planning on taking the boat out this weekend (aren't we all), and I was getting it ready today. Don't know if I mentioned this in the post or not but I live on a military installation in the middle of the Mojave desert. Closest town is Barstow, CA about 40 miles away. This is not a place you decide to take the boat out for a couple of hours after work one afternoon. Trips have to be planned here and the place I take my boat is about 3 hours away on the Colorado River. Anyway, I keep the boat in a yard here on Ft Irwin ($10 a month, eat your heart out) and I brought it home this afternoon to clean it up, vacuum it out, etc. One thing I always do is hook the hose to it and start it up and let it run awhile. The boat and my truck were parked in front of the house and I was just about the turn off the engine when this guy drives up on a bike. He looked inside and started asking me all these weird questions like when I bought it, have I taken it out, what did I do to the engine, and does the engine run. At first I thought he was going to offer to buy it but when he asked if the engine ran I said "It is running now". He also asked if I had any trouble out of it and I said no. Then he commented on how good the interior looked and I said thanks and then he told me that he used to own the boat. He is not the guy I bought it from but was the 2nd owner. I thought I was the 3rd owner but I am the 4th. We talked for about an hour or so and I brought him inside and showed him before and after pics of the restoration. It was pretty cool. He is the one that put the blue vinyl over the seats, not the PO. I told him that I really didn't like the dark blue because when the temps get 110 here you can't even sit down. He bought the boat at Ft Drum, NY so I guess it does not get as hot up there as here. He also had some engine trouble, he thinks a cylinder was bad somehow. I am not a mechanic and he admitted that he is not either but he told me that when he sold it the boat did not have any power and would not even plane. Obviously the PO fixed all of that because it runs fine now. Anyway, it was a pretty interesting day to say the least, he was a pretty nice guy, although I was kind of wondering at first when he started asking me all of that stuff. He complimented me on it alot, told me that when he bought it the interior was pretty messed up and it now does not even look like the same boat. He also felt like he got ripped off because he did not know anything about boats when he bought it and paid more than it was worth. He had to sink (no pun intended) alot of money into it too. I guess (hope) the 2 previous guys worked out all of the bugs because I have not had any trouble out of it, knock on wood. I did have it professionally serviced which I don't think either of these guys did.

Todd

1989 1750 restoration 08 May 2008 08:11 #28

• HDPipes05
Seats look great. :) The dark blue is probably gonna be hot on your rump in the sun though. :D

• Page:
Moderators: whiskywizarditsabowtime2
Time to create page: 0.076 seconds