Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:
  • 1

TOPIC: Capri 1950 I/O Rear Hatch Rebuild - 1985

Capri 1950 I/O Rear Hatch Rebuild - 1985 11 Mar 2008 00:42 #1

  • mickjetblue
  • mickjetblue's Avatar Topic Author
  • Offline
  • New Member
  • New Member
  • Posts: 6
  • Thank you received: 0
Sorry, no pictures, but I will explain.
I had a great time with my Bayliner 1950 Capri last year, being my first year
with it. The only issue I had with it was that the rear hatch, across the back,
was soft, especially on the end where swimmers would jump out on it.

This winter I took it off and decided to see what I could do with it.
I carefully removed a couple hundred staples from the 6' long piece and found
that the sponge covered piece of plywood was mostly rotted. The sponge had
absorbed moisture, even though there were no rips or leaks in the vinyl, and
the moisture transferred into the plywood. I carefully removed the wood screws
holding the flat piece to the top rear seat assembly, and was able to use the
remaining top piece of plywood as a template to draw a pattern on a piece of
1/2" plywood. I cut the new piece, and put a couple coats of spar varnish on it.
I assembled the new piece with new wood screws and plenty of epoxy glue.
The top rear seat assembly was still in good shape. I decided to use the sponge
over again, figuring if it lasts another 22 years, that will be more than enough
for me. I stapled the vinyl back around the top piece with another couple
hundred staples, and it's sold, and better than new.
I still have to put it back on the boat, anytime now the weather is coming
around for the better.

I am amazed that for a 1985 boat, that was the only soft spot I found, and
everything else is working great.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Capri 1950 I/O Rear Hatch Rebuild - 1985 11 Mar 2008 00:53 #2

  • Quakindude
  • Quakindude's Avatar
  • Offline
  • New Member
  • New Member
  • Posts: 63
  • Thank you received: 0
You didn't specify, so I was wondering. Did you use marine grade plywood?

It sure does make you feel good to git-r-done yourself huh?:)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

2007 Bayliner 185BR, 3.0L I/O Mercruiser. SX Trim Tabs w/40lb actuators, Hustler 14.25x19p Prop, Humminbird Fishfinder/GPS, chrome thru-hulls and horn, Perko single battery main switch.

Capri 1950 I/O Rear Hatch Rebuild - 1985 13 Mar 2008 01:38 #3

  • mickjetblue
  • mickjetblue's Avatar Topic Author
  • Offline
  • New Member
  • New Member
  • Posts: 6
  • Thank you received: 0
I have to admit that when I saw the cost of marine grade plywood, and
considered that the location of the vinyl covered hatch piece is high,
I opted for standard building plywood. I did put a couple of heavy coats of
spar varnish all over it, though.

Another consideration was my age, I guess if I was around 30 I would have
maybe went with the marine grade plywood, but being over 50, and with the
boat's age now at 23!!!, well, now... we ain't all working with all new stuff.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Capri 1950 I/O Rear Hatch Rebuild - 1985 13 Mar 2008 22:09 #4

  • tbear
  • tbear's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Posts: 946
  • Thank you received: 3
is this the area you replaced?????

http://baylinerownersclub.org/forum/showthread.php?t=4518

Mine is solid, as far as I know (floor is shot, but will last another season :( )....but interested in the repair, if this is the same area....Ted

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

.

Capri 1950 I/O Rear Hatch Rebuild - 1985 15 Mar 2008 02:21 #5

  • mickjetblue
  • mickjetblue's Avatar Topic Author
  • Offline
  • New Member
  • New Member
  • Posts: 6
  • Thank you received: 0
The original appeared to have been 3/8" plywood, and was rotted mostly,
but I was able to keep it intact to use it as a template for the new piece.

Your woodwork is slightly different from mine, although mostly similar. My
reservation was about retaining the sponge cushion, as I think that is what
absorbed moisture and consequently waterlogged the plywood. Over 20
years is a long time, so I kept the sponge layer back in place. I put it back
in the boat yesterday, and it's solid. Glad I did it, even though it took some
work and time, it still was enjoyable work.

You did a great job with your repair, and took some good pictures. Nice work!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • Page:
  • 1
Moderators: whiskywizarditsabowtime2
Time to create page: 0.080 seconds
Powered by Kunena Forum