• Page:

TOPIC: 32xx Floscan Installation

32xx Floscan Installation 27 Feb 2008 18:28 #1

• cosmo777
  • cosmo777's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 118
While I'm not completely finished with this project, I figured I'd post the completed installation in the engine compartment. I'm waiting on a few parts for the upper helm station before I finish the gauges and switches.

This installation is for my Hino 150's and the Floscan system I'm putting in is the 9700 series. It not only gives you GPH fuel burn, overall fuel usage, and digital tachs, it also ties into NEMA to calculate overal MPG.

The Floscan system for the Hino uses two sensors and two dampers, per engine. One sensor and damper each for fuel feed and fuel return. So there's a lot of "stuff" that needs to be installed in the engine compartment. The fuel feed damper and sensor have to be installed after the primary filter

I made brackets to mount these onto, then mounted the brackets into place. Since there's a requirement for minimum 8" fuel line between senser and damper, I used these configurations. First picture is for the port engine, second picture is for the starboard engine. On both brackets, the fuel feed from the primary would come from the right of the picture into the sensor, thru the damper, then to the engine. The fuel return would also come from the right into the damper, thru the sensor, then back to the tank.

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

The port bracket was mounted outboard of the port engine next to the fuel tank. Here's a before and after picture.

...more pictures and narrative in the next post...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Pat
Paragon
1999 4788

32xx Floscan Installation 27 Feb 2008 18:29 #2

• cosmo777
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
The starboard bracket was mounted centered on the bulkhead between the engines. I would have liked it to mirror the port engine location, but the alternator of the starboard engine sticks out too far.

Here's the final plumbed and wired port side bracket. This location made it super easy to hook up the existing fuel lines to the bracket without cutting them. I prefer this in case the Floscan is ever removed, its back to original configuration with little/no effort.

Likewise with the starboard bracket, the existing fuel lines went to the bracket without any cutting. Here's the finished starboard engine bracket.

Some other comments about the installation
- This installation only needed about 15 feet of fuel line to be purchased. All things considered, I think I got super lucky to keep it minimized to that.
- the wiring to the helm station uses a shielded triplex wire. Floscan told us where to buy it and it was super easy and super inexpensive to purchase, as opposed to the local marine stores in the area.
- Floscan says to use no less than 10 micron primary filters, but discussion here and elsewhere indicates the 2 micron one I have will be fine. Guess I'll know when its operational.

Next up is the helm station gauges and wiring....stay tuned for an update

Pat
Paragon
1999 4788

32xx Floscan Installation 27 Feb 2008 19:18 #3

• p91473
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 48
Thanks for posting this info. I would like to go Floscan someday soon as well. So how hard is it going to be to run the wires up to the flybridge? Or are you installing the floscans in the lower helm? How much should I budget for this project both $$$ and time wise if I can ask?

Thanks
John

1997 3788/Cummins 6BTA 5.9 M2s (Sold)
2003 Silverton 42c/Cummins 480CEs
2014 Sea Fox 22 Center Console
2006 Boston Whaler 13 Sport

Vero Beach, Fl.

32xx Floscan Installation 27 Feb 2008 20:03 #4

• cosmo777
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Routing the wiring to the flybridge helm, in my instance, took about a whole 10 minutes. But I have pretty good access (a cave hatch) and good conduits with pull wires.

The Floscan website www.floscan.com has links to their documentation, so you can educate yourself on the complexity of the installation. They estimate 20~30 good solid hrs to get this installed. Mine should be about 20hrs for installation since I have better access (I've only spent about 20 minutes total squished in between the engines). Then there's calibration....

Floscan also estimates the cost of installation in their documentation, but if I remember it includes the labor of a mechanic. Fuel line is ~2.50/ft, so depending on your installation, that can also drive your costs. I think I'll end up about $200 in add'l parts cost. But I got super lucky with fuel line and a great price on the wiring ($.37 at 160 ft needed).

Pat
Paragon
1999 4788

32xx Floscan Installation 02 Mar 2008 15:19 #5

• cosmo777
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Its all wired and up and running.
Next step is calibration of the gauges.
Here's before/after pictures of the gauges.

The Accessory switch (most right switch of the left group of switches) will be used to alternate between GPH and MPG on the Port Floscan gauge.

Below the KILL ENGINE push buttons, I've added two momentary push button switches that are used to reset the fuel totalizer (ie gallons used). The panel says PRE HEAT, but SomeSailor is gonna help me out with a new panel to get the wording accurate.

Pat
Paragon
1999 4788
  • Page:
Moderators: whiskywizarditsabowtime2
Time to create page: 0.086 seconds