• Page:

TOPIC: 32XX Floor Hatch to Cave

32XX Floor Hatch to Cave 23 Feb 2008 20:11 #1

• Pugetsoundog
  • Pugetsoundog's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 20
This falls under the "Why didn't I do this sooner?" category...

Here's my new floor access to the cave. It is 24" X 36". The back cut is located 6" from the sidepanel.The hinges and pull are recessed into the deck so they won't hang up the helm chair legs. The hinges are made by Seadog, #SDL 201-555-1. The pull is Seadog, #SDL 221815-1. On the underside is also a springlock to prevent the hatch from accidently closing (That's the voice of experience from a previous engine hatch incicent :hammer ). It is Seadog, #SDL #321680-1.

I first marked my cutout line and then located and routed out for the hinges. Then from one of the hinge route-outs, I started my hatch cutout. I used a sabresaw,with a metal blade and did the start cut by rotating the blade down and through the deck. Once I got the blade through the deck, I went under and confirmed that the final cuts would be where I wanted them.Once cutout, I smoothed all edges and painted with a gray bilge paint. To support the hatch I ran a plywood lip, glued and screwed from the underside.

It is now very easy to service the front of the cave. In the second picture you can see the vacu-flush unit and a larger holding tank, 30 gallons.

Ken Rose
Pugetsoundog (woof)

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

32XX Floor Hatch to Cave 26 Feb 2008 19:58 #2

• pasty63
  • Thank you received: 0
Nice job Ken!!! I let my saw blade heat up and I'm still "negotiating" with the lines of the hatch cut out. The hatch lid itself was easy, since it would fit on the table saw for trimming :)

Bryan
86 3270
"All things deteriorate with time" Virgil.

32XX Floor Hatch to Cave 11 Mar 2008 20:57 #3

• bilgeboy
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
All of these posts are great, Ken.

Just wanted to say "Thanks".

Mike

• Page:
Moderators: whiskywizarditsabowtime2
Time to create page: 0.074 seconds