• Page:

TOPIC: Deck Hatch

Deck Hatch 17 Feb 2008 01:54 #1

• Nehalennia
  • Nehalennia's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 9
So, I hope I'm not breaking the rules on the "Completed projects" thread, but I'm most of the way through and thought I'd continue my progress as it goes, but, now that I have the boat back from the shop and the overheating repairs are behind us, I started three projects today. I began to buff the boat. I spent about 3 hours compounding and pleased to report that it seems to be removing the oxidation. I really didn't do the whole boat because I'm not prepared to do all the steps to make the stages most effective. Anyway no pictures, but it was good.

I will hopefully get finished tomorrow. It's the aft settee table mount base on the engine hatch. The original screws were stripped out and it didn't seem to be straight forward to repair.
Top View

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

My friend is a machinist and I asked him to make me an aluminum ring that I will drill and tap for some 10-24 stainless screws and sandwich the engine hatch with the ring.
Underneath view

Base and ring

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Skål,
Todd
~Nehalennia ∆~ Celtic Goddess of the Seafarers
2000 ~ SeaRay ~ 260DA, 5.7L EFI, Bravo III

MMSI: 338080206

Deck Hatch 17 Feb 2008 12:10 #2

• Knotheadcharters
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
If I were you I would dig the coring out to the existing screw holes and fair in with expoxy so that you can stop any rot before it takes hold and softens the hatch up.:)

Deck Hatch 17 Feb 2008 20:19 #3

• smilie
  • Thank you received: 0

Knotheadcharters;113917 wrote: If I were you I would dig the coring out to the existing screw holes and fair in with expoxy so that you can stop any rot before it takes hold and softens the hatch up.:)

as the song says, "i get by with a little help from my friends." isn't it great?
there shouldn't be anything in there to rot. it's a foam core sandwiched in between fiberglass. bayliner's "marine core" construction. it wouldn't hurt to seal it up to prevent water leakage though. sorry, spoke to soon. i see it's a sea ray. same principal though, i believe.

1985 CIERA 2450 SDN CB VP 225D/280B
"THE SANITY CLAUSE"

Deck Hatch 17 Feb 2008 20:54 #4

• Nehalennia
  • Nehalennia's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 9

Knotheadcharters;113917 wrote: If I were you I would dig the coring out to the existing screw holes and fair in with expoxy so that you can stop any rot before it takes hold and softens the hatch up.:)

All that coring is just dense foam. I will run a wetfinger of silicone around the inside rim, but If it was wood I would agree with you on the epoxy.

Today,
I finished the engine hatch table stand.
Here's the Ring under the hatch.

It worked exactly how and wanted.

Here's the topside.

Skål,
Todd
~Nehalennia ∆~ Celtic Goddess of the Seafarers
2000 ~ SeaRay ~ 260DA, 5.7L EFI, Bravo III

MMSI: 338080206
  • Page:
Moderators: whiskywizarditsabowtime2
Time to create page: 0.079 seconds