TOPIC: Heater register in cockpit added

Heater register in cockpit added 11 Feb 2008 00:41 #1

• Go Aweigh2452
  • Go Aweigh2452's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Olalla, WA
  • Thank you received: 534
I added a heater register to the Admirals side of the cockpit. I redirected cabin heat via a "Y" and ran 3" flex hose to the cockpit under the deck. This was a pain in the butt due to the tightness of the area I had to fish the hose through. I have a storage pit between the cockpit seats with little more than 3" room to push the hose through. Being a "big guy", it was a tough fit to get the hose in place under the deck. The other concern I had was no control on the cabin register. So I cut the bottom out of a plastic fold out cup holder and screwed it over the cabin vent. Flip it up and full air goes to the cabin. Flip it down and much less air going into the cabin with more air going to the cockpit. The ADM can now direct the flow of air and close it off from her seat.

The ADM now has heat...

Photo of heater "Y" connected to cabin register and port cockpit.

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

Hole in bulkhead to engine bay.

Took a cup holder and cut out the back and left the lid on to "lock" in up or down position...

Register with control. Added additional cup holder over a little cutting mistake... (Measure twice, cut once)...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Doug ;}
MMSI: 338068776
"Go Aweigh to" Photos < click on red letters... 2001 Bayliner 2452 w/6.2 HO (paid for)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Heater register in cockpit added 14 Feb 2008 02:03 #2

• Iproff
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 127
What a nice neat job where did you get the hose "Y" pipe and clamps. I have never seen those clamps before. I will be installing air on my 2755 soon, pictures and projects like this sure make my job easier.

Ken

Watching crow being slowly eaten in the PNW.
The village idiot strikes again.

Heater register in cockpit added 14 Feb 2008 02:33 #3

• Go Aweigh2452
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Olalla, WA

Iproff;113146 wrote: What a nice neat job where did you get the hose "Y" pipe and clamps. I have never seen those clamps before. I will be installing air on my 2755 soon, pictures and projects like this sure make my job easier.

Ken

Ken, the 3" "Y" adapter is from Heatercraft (same company as my system) and the plastic clamps are standard RV clamps I found at Fred Meyer. Nice thing about those clamps is they are good for about 2" to 4" and have that knob at the base that screws tight by hand pressure only. Great for this type of job. You can't see them but I have plastic tie wraps screwed into the bulkhead to prevent movement when loading up stuff under the dinette seat where the heater is.

Those RV clamps can be taken apart and you can add two or more together for bigger diameter hose. I did not want to mess with ss clamps inside the cabin due to being a pain to get the screw driver or socket wrench on them.

Doug ;}
"Go Aweigh to" Photos < click on red letters... 2001 Bayliner 2452 w/6.2 HO (paid for)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Heater register in cockpit added 15 Feb 2008 01:42 #4

• pgcan
  • Thank you received: 0
Hello Doug,

I have been looking at the things that you have done to your boat,

And i must say you have done a lot of nice work, and a lot of upgrades as well, i wish you lived close to me, i sure could use your help with my boat,

But really i like what you have done, once i get the engine done in mine then i get back to my upgrades as well, keep up the good work

Paul :D

Paul, 1989 2955 Avanti, 454 mec, bravo 3 out drive
in Norfolk Va :arr

Heater register in cockpit added 15 Feb 2008 12:41 #5

• Syzygyone
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
Now that's ingenuity for ya!

Go Aweigh2452;111959 wrote: I The other concern I had was no control on the cabin register. So I cut the bottom out of a plastic fold out cup holder and screwed it over the cabin vent. Flip it up and full air goes to the cabin. Flip it down and much less air going into the cabin with more air going to the cockpit. The ADM can now direct the flow of air and close it off from her seat.

The ADM now has heat...

[/IMG]
Took a cup holder and cut out the back and left the lid on to "lock" in up or down position...

Register with control. But I have to ask why you couldn't put one of these back in the cabin?

Good Luck & Smooth Cruisin' to ya'll! :arr
The Admiral and Syzygyone
"Afternoon Delight"

Albums - '77 Sea Ray 240 SRV SDB; '03 Bayliner 175

Heater register in cockpit added 15 Feb 2008 13:48 #6

• Go Aweigh2452
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Olalla, WA

But I have to ask why you couldn't put one of these back in the cabin?

1. It was a quick and easy fix. and 2. Because it would have cost me a lot more time and $ to replace the plastic vent that came with the heater craft system with one that would fit in the hole. I prefer to try out "MacGyver" solutions before spending bigger bucks... I may still change it out in the future but will give this a try first. Total cost was a $5 cup holder verses an hours worth of refabrication and the addition of another eurostyle vent ($15 + shipping).

I may still modify this system some more and add an additional "straight line radiator" (a section directly under each front window using single run of copper pipe with fins on it) to remove fogging... I would fabricate a cover so you could not see the finned pipe from the cockpit but still have heat rise and clear the windows. I should be able to eliminate the need for a 12v fan to clear the fogging and the clutter on the dash. My 2452 has a dash that goes well forward of all my instruments so it really would not take up any valuable dash real estate.

Tomorrow we take the boat to Poulsbo and see if the ADM likes the heat... When she's happy... :D

BTW, my ADM grew up in Denver (Cherry Creek area) and we have relatives and friends in the Springs and Black Forest area...

Doug ;}

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Heater register in cockpit added 16 Feb 2008 21:15 #7

• smilie
way to think outside of the box. you got additional heat, and i'll bet multiple admiral points! we all know if the admiral isn't happy, nobody's happy. again, nice job.:arr

1985 CIERA 2450 SDN CB VP 225D/280B
"THE SANITY CLAUSE"

Heater register in cockpit added 21 Feb 2008 21:23 #8

• Nehalennia
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 9
So what was the verdict? Did they heat work well?
I think I need to get a couple of the clamps you had. You said Fred Meyer

Skål,
Todd
~Nehalennia ∆~ Celtic Goddess of the Seafarers
2000 ~ SeaRay ~ 260DA, 5.7L EFI, Bravo III

MMSI: 338080206

Heater register in cockpit added 21 Feb 2008 23:34 #9

• Go Aweigh2452
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Olalla, WA

Nehalennia;115318 wrote: So what was the verdict? Did they heat work well?
I think I need to get a couple of the clamps you had. You said Fred Meyer

Yes, Freddy had them on sale in the RV section. ADM loves the heat and yes, got bonus points as well.... almost worth the contortions I had to go through... :p

Doug ;}

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Page:
Moderators: whiskywizarditsabowtime2
Time to create page: 0.107 seconds