Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: 4788 Stairwell Hatch Modification

4788 Stairwell Hatch Modification 04 Feb 2008 20:01 #1

• KennyFerret
  • KennyFerret's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 17
I recently added a hatch to the cockpit stairwell on our '94 4788. This was done so that we could then add a cockpit cover, thereby making the cockpit area weatherproof. The custom made Weaver hatch was fitted by myself and involved gently chiselling into the inboard side of the raised fibreglass lip of the hatch opening. This was to correctly align the hinge bases. After a few minor gelcoat repairs, the hinge area was sealed off with Sikaflex to weatherproof it and to give it a factory appearance. Self tapping 316 stainless steel screws were used to install the hinges. In addition to this I had the stairwell railings modified by my local stainless guy so that railings no longer swept over the hatch opening. The original baseplate positions for the railings were retained so that there are no ugly holes in the gelcoat as a result of the modification.

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Ken

'94 4788 - "Crystal Voyager "

If you can dream it, you can do it

4788 Stairwell Hatch Modification 05 Feb 2008 17:48 #2

• thefamilyjewells
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Kenny,

Another excellent job completed. We were suggesting that Fordm, Mike, be given his own completed projects page, but you may just start moving out ahead.
Why are you doing these projects, when you should clearly be boating, rather than fixing ? From what I understand, Auckland doesn't get too cold in Winter (which its not right now).

4788 Stairwell Hatch Modification 05 Feb 2008 18:33 #3

• KennyFerret
  • KennyFerret's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 17
Jim,

You're right, it is Summer in Auckland, and an awesome one it has been. I guess I must be one of those sick individuals who enjoys working on boats. Actually I did these projects over several Winters and copied them from the old BOC site cause I figure it will one day be closed and all this info will be lost. I have been trying in vain to catch up to fordm, but Mike just keeps pullin' away from me :)

Ken

'94 4788 - "Crystal Voyager "

If you can dream it, you can do it
  • Page:
Moderators: whiskywizarditsabowtime2
Time to create page: 0.073 seconds