Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: 4788 Rubrail Replacement (Part 2)

4788 Rubrail Replacement (Part 2) 04 Feb 2008 19:56 #1

• KennyFerret
  • KennyFerret's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 17
Continued from Part 1 ...

At this stage it's getting easier all the time as you start to fasten the stainless overlay over the vinyl. I think it's important to mention that every screw you put in to the hull must be sealed in with a good quality sealant (5200 or similar) The last thing you want is another leak to try and track down. In some cases it was necessary to trim a piece off the end of a stainless section to avoid hitting a thru bolt fastening. This was done with a new hacksaw blade and then neatly filed up afterwards. The stainless is bent around the bow and transom corners with gentle use of a rubber mallot.

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

We are almost there now. All that remains is to clean the cured sealant off the stainless strip, remove the tape and to give it a polish. However the installation was not without incident as I managed to skewer a deckwash plastic pipe and I also managed put a screw into a power cable. Ah duh! It's probably a good idea to get an electrician to do a leak test on the rubrail after the job is done. Well there it is, not an easy job, but I think well worth it for the end result.

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Ken

'94 4788 - "Crystal Voyager "

If you can dream it, you can do it

4788 Rubrail Replacement (Part 2) 05 Feb 2008 00:40 #2

• pkrogh
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 0
Excellent! Thanks for the post Kenny. I hadn't thought about the big washers before but it makes perfect sense. I need to swap out the rail on my Trophy one of these days and this method looks like the way to go.

Pete

"KROGHS NEST"
1983 Trophy 2260, '93 VP 250-A/SPA
Nordland , Washington, USA

4788 Rubrail Replacement (Part 2) 05 Feb 2008 17:44 #3

• thefamilyjewells
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Kenny,

Great job, nice looking ship....one thing, are you sure it was the PO that dented all those rubrails ? Or was it just conveinent to blame him ? LOL

4788 Rubrail Replacement (Part 2) 05 Feb 2008 18:43 #4

• KennyFerret
Pete,

I have to give credit where credit is due. It was actually Pacrimrat (Chris Hazen) who came up with the Tinnerman washer concept. Spreading the load made sense to me too.

Jim,

Nope, definitely the previous owner. I did something far more spectacular...as in boarding platform Vs pole while reversing into the marina :o

Ken

4788 Rubrail Replacement (Part 2) 08 Feb 2008 10:59 #5

• thefamilyjewells
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Ken,

Well, now we know how honest you are ..LOL

Was anybody watching ? Thats the worst....The number of ppl watching is directly proportionate to the level of stupid accident, don't ask me how I know !

4788 Rubrail Replacement (Part 2) 09 Feb 2008 20:23 #6

• KennyFerret
Jim,

As far as I know only my family were watching...that was bad enough. The worst part was hearing the sickening 'crunch' when we hit. :mad: I've since seen it done several times by others in strong cross winds, so I know I'm not alone on this one! In my case I was coming down the channel to my marina, compensating for the wind with the rudders. When I reversed in I had not centered the rudders with the indicator on the Autohelm (the Autohelm was switched off). Consequently when I applied reverse power (unknowingly with 20 degrees of right rudder) we went straight into it. Needless to say, I now 'engine steer' the boat down the fairway, with rudders centered. For some strange reason thrusters are now on my wish list!

Ken

• Page:
Moderators: whiskywizarditsabowtime2
Time to create page: 0.084 seconds