Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: 4788 Rubrail Replacement (Part 1)

4788 Rubrail Replacement (Part 1) 04 Feb 2008 19:54 #1

• KennyFerret
  • KennyFerret's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 17
This job was carried out on a '94 4788 but the process could apply to any Bayliner. The first step is without doubt the hardest. On some Bayliners I believe the aluminium rubrail is simply screwed on but on our 4788 it was mostly thru bolted with some screws where thru bolting was obviously difficult to access. The PO had damaged the original rubrail, as can be seen here.

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

IMHO the original rubrail is pretty useless as it is a hollow 'U' section and crushes easily. I replaced it with a rigid black vinyl with a polished stainless steel overlay. Because of the fact that most of the original rubrail was thru bolted it involved removing wardrobe rear panels, access panels, seating and in the case of the forward stateroom the units that contain the venetian blinds. Make no mistake, this is a big job and not for the faint hearted. Otherwise you will soon be muttering under your breath (as I did) - "Oh my God, what have I got myself in for!"
After the old rubrail is was removed (one side at a time) the thru bolts which previously went through the rubrail then the hull and deck sections were replaced with shorter thru bolts which now go through the hull/deck join only. With advice from Chris Hazen (Pacrimrat) they were seated in with Tinnerman washers to distribute the load against the fibreglass surface. It is important to thru bolt most of this hull/deck line again because it is part of the structural integrity of the boat. 5200 sealant was used under the washers and also a line of 5200 was gunned in under the hull/deck join line.

The next step is to run a tape line under the intended rubrail position onto which you can mark the positions of the Tinnerman washers and also the intended fastening postions for the rigid vinyl and also the stainless overlay. This is important, as once the vinyl is screwed in place you need to know the thru bolt positions so that you do not screw the stainless overlay down into the thru bolt positions. Just to complicate matters the old rubrail was fastened at 8" centers and the new stainless overlay is pre-drilled at 6" centers. Here you can see a section of rigid vinyl has been screwed over the hull/deck join line. The section I used was obtained from the parts guys at Olympic Boat Centers in Washington and was used on Bayliner motoryachts from 1999 on.

http://www.boatnut.com/

It has a lip on the lower edge which sits nicely under the hull/deck join line.

At the transom the rubrail is cut off at the required length and then butted up to the stainless steel endcaps (also available from Olympic) The rigid vinyl can be eased around the bow and the corners of the transom with careful application of a heat gun. Here you can get a better look at my tape line and the layout markings for the fastenings.

Continued in Part B...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Ken

'94 4788 - "Crystal Voyager "

If you can dream it, you can do it
  • Page:
Moderators: whiskywizarditsabowtime2
Time to create page: 0.077 seconds