Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: 2850 Microwave Install

2850 Microwave Install 17 Jan 2008 17:12 #1

• Rick Bunzel
  • Rick Bunzel's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
When we were boat shopping I noticed many boaters had microwaves on their boats. One of the amazing observations was that owners actually had microwaves sitting in the heads on the broad shelf behind the john. Yuck!

In December the admiral found a small microwave at a huge discount and challenged me to install it. I had been eyeing the shelves on either side of the kitchen counters and after measuring the spaces figured out that if I drop the shelf over the hanging locker it should all fit. Heres the before shelf

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

Here is the cut down shelf. I already had an outlet in the cabinet in front of the sink. I extended this circuit to the hanging lock and the microwave cord runs through the open slot.

Here is the finish product with the microwave in place. I was going to screw the feet into the shelf but it fits so snugly between the ceiling and shelf that it will move. The shelf also has a railing so don't think it will be a problem

The only item left is that the range top will no longer lock open due to the microwave front extending slightly beyond the shelf edge. I am change the mount position of the hinge arm to allow it to lock.

I do have an inverter and if required can access the microwave power cord to use it at anchor through the hanging locker.

Admiral is now happy but still wondering why the microwave clock goes off everytime we leave the dock ..........

//Rick

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Rick
2850 Command Bridge
Aq260 280DP

2850 Microwave Install 17 Jan 2008 17:35 #2

• Sunnydude
  • Away
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 27
Nice install Rick. You answered my question regarding the stove top locking open.

If you do get an inverter, remember that the clock will draw 24/7 while it is on. An uncle told us a story of a guy who installed an inverter and microwave and kept wondering why their batteries were dying. It was the clock.

Looks good.

Sean
1987 3870
Crimson Pride II
Past Commodore Mukilteo Yacht Club
MMSI: 338080226

2850 Microwave Install 17 Jan 2008 23:57 #3

• islander
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
If you take the two Plexiglas doors out of the cubby behind your stove ,you will find that a Black&Decker toaster/oven fits in that cubby perfectly. You just have to cut a piece of plywood for a base to raise it up an inch or so. that is what I did . I put the micro to the left of the sink by cutting the cubby down (the one behind the sink) so it sits all the back against the wall in the left corner then put an outlet for the 2 power cords in the cubby behind the sink, ran the cords through the back of the cubby (out of sight ). This set up seemed to work the best for functionality and gives you ,1.stove 2.toaster oven 3.microwave. I thought of doing what you did with the micro, but I didn't like the shelf being that close to the flame from the stove. Let me know how it works out.

2850 Microwave Install 18 Jan 2008 02:41 #4

• Kåre L
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 4

Rick Bunzel;104262 wrote: In December the admiral found a small microwave at a huge discount and challenged me to install it.

Don't you just wish sometimes it was the other way around! That's a very nice microwave - I am also in the market for a small stainless around 0.7 cu ft. What brand is it?

Kåre
1990 3288 MY twin Ford 351's "Celuna"
Lighthouse Marina, Lake Murray, SC

2850 Microwave Install 18 Jan 2008 22:38 #5

• h20diver
  • Thank you received: 0
Nice job,
Great microwave, looks good.

Every Day Is A Good Day
  • Page:
Moderators: whiskywizarditsabowtime2
Time to create page: 0.081 seconds