Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Contessa Interior

Contessa Interior 03 Dec 2007 20:46 #1

• bigjohnbates
  • bigjohnbates's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
I mentioned I would post some details and pics of this project. As per Strat it is completed in-as-much as anything on a boat can be ; ]

There is still some trim to be done in teak around the 26" flatscreen to match the trim around the cupboard doors. The doors were removed from the bottom of the original bench seat (it flipped up into a set of bunk beds but I'm not a bunk bed kinda guy) and remounted to cover the liquor cabinet on the left and storage /inverter mounting on the right. They each have two shelves and access to the wiring etc running underneath.

I also found some brass hinges to match the ones Bayliner used on the rest of the boat. The space under the TV will be covered with mesh but I wanted it open to use as additional storage. And the front of the cabinet is oak / plywood.

As well the bar on the top is 1-1/2" thick old-growth (re-claimed) fir stained to match the teak about 4" deep, big enough for a mug or cup but not so large as to jut out when the boat is moving. It will have a small brass rail once the brass is located.

And the floor is a warm, padded, waterproof "fake" cork "vinyl-esque" that is easy to lay. Real cork telegraphs the imperfections in the floor underneath and this stuff looks very good, especially compared to the old carpet that you can still see on the step and under the table. The edges of the floor will also wind up with some teak trim. We are still building a small oval table (in the foreground of the first picture) to match the fir but for now we just have the stained pine.

It has given the cabin a LOT of room, it's pretty much the same as sitting in a living room when we are at the L-settee watching a DVD and it's completely comfortable for four adults that don't want to sit in each other's laps ; ]

Attached files

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

John Bates
Current: 1976 Uniflite 36 "Caleuche" w/ twin 454 Crusaders
Previous: '85 Bayliner 2850 - '89 Bayliner 2455 - '90 Reinell 179

Contessa Interior 03 Dec 2007 21:17 #2

• Rob-Tara
That looks real nice! I'm working on my 85' Contessa too. Thinking about doing a laminate floor over the carpet. Yours looks nice. Keep posting!:arr

1985 2850 Contessa F/B
Volvo 260 Single/290 Outdrive

Contessa Interior 04 Dec 2007 00:05 #3

• bigjohnbates
A laminate floor would be very cool. I pulled my carpet first, not too bad a job considering. Just a sharp scraper, a heat gun, an exacto blade and one of my friends pulling it up while I heated the old glue and scraped. The floor underneath was pretty rough, especially at the joints. That was why I went with the vinyl-style flooring (not laminate as I originally wrote - sorry), not laminate.

Man, it was so nice to see that old carpet and filth go out the door ...

John Bates

Contessa Interior 04 Dec 2007 00:48 #4

• jus10reese
Laminate is a good product, I wouldnt lay it over carpet though, just an inexspensive laminate pad would be better you woul be surprised how much dust and dirt is trapped under your carpet, it woul always be there, the laminate pad gives a nice soft feel, but not too much. I've never put it in a boat, but I am a contractor, and put it in homes all the time. Also, I would go with Pergo brand, the off brands are very prone to chipping and scratching while installing, and down the road through normal use.

2000 Capri 1800 w/ Mercury 125 o/b

Contessa Interior 04 Dec 2007 06:43 #5

• kelmar
Looks great. I would love to have flatscreen to entertain the kids. I like the tv flush mounted. Good ideal for my rebuild. Thanks for posting.

Mark

Explorer 2270
Explorer 2670
Boat Pics http://picasaweb.google.com/kelmarray

Contessa Interior 04 Dec 2007 13:30 #6

• Rob-Tara

jus10reese;92537 wrote: Laminate is a good product, I wouldnt lay it over carpet though, just an inexspensive laminate pad would be better you woul be surprised how much dust and dirt is trapped under your carpet, it woul always be there, the laminate pad gives a nice soft feel, but not too much. I've never put it in a boat, but I am a contractor, and put it in homes all the time. Also, I would go with Pergo brand, the off brands are very prone to chipping and scratching while installing, and down the road through normal use.

Thanks for the advise. I failed to mention it would be attached to some 5/8 or so plywood first. In two different sections. Ones that I could pull the base molding off and then lift the floor up, if for some reason I needed to.
:)

1985 2850 Contessa F/B
Volvo 260 Single/290 Outdrive

Contessa Interior 04 Dec 2007 22:30 #7

• bigjohnbates
If you like I can try to find the brandname of the floor covering I used, it is working out VERY well and came in a number of different patterns.

With the way I laid it I didn't have to glue the majority of it down, it is held tightly at the edges and doesn't ripple at all so it can be lifted should need be. I did need to glue down the smaller pieces near the galley as I had to make an number of cuts to get those edges right. But there is already a hatch there so they don't need to be moved and don't touch the main pieces of floorboard.

John Bates
  • Page:
Moderators: whiskywizarditsabowtime2
Time to create page: 0.087 seconds