Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Dry....Very Dry Bilge

Dry....Very Dry Bilge 10 Oct 2007 10:58 #1

• Screwloose
  • Screwloose's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
For the past few months I had a problem with about 3 or 4 inches of water in the bilge every time I came to the boat. We're under a covered dock, rain was not it. Many weekends we never left the dock but I would have water down there anyway and would sponge it dry. Seacocks always checked out fine, the problem was driving me nuts. :hammer

Each time we left the last thing we would do is rinse out the cockpit. Turns out that all 4 cockpit scuppers either had small cracks or had let go from the sealant altogether. 4 new scuppers properly bedded and the bilge is once again dry as a bone.

I thought I would post this here as a reminder for everyone that has a wet bilge problem and can't figure out where it is coming from. A very easy and satisfying fix.

Screwloose
2850 CB

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Dry....Very Dry Bilge 10 Oct 2007 21:39 #2

• lottinala
ok new here and going to ask a dumb question ???????????? what is a scuppers?????????

"Almost Da' Beach"
1995 3258 avanti
Docked in huntsville, alabama

Dry....Very Dry Bilge 10 Oct 2007 23:03 #3

• Dr Prop
  • Thank you received: 1
No such thing as a dumb question, it's the drains in the deck that go over board

Dry....Very Dry Bilge 11 Oct 2007 15:57 #4

• JWood
My engine hatch seal was leaking so the water ran into the engine compartment instead of out the scuppers. Put new weather stripping on the engine hatch and no I can't hear my trim tabs run and the engine is quiter.

JWood

Dry....Very Dry Bilge 11 Oct 2007 16:18 #5

• Screwloose
  • Screwloose's Avatar Topic Author
Curious about what weather stripping you used and how. Two of my scuppers are actually in the channel below the cover. I have a heat shield but nothing actually sealing off lip of the hatch to the deck.

Screwloose

Dry....Very Dry Bilge 11 Oct 2007 21:37 #6

• JWood

Screwloose;77110 wrote: Curious about what weather stripping you used and how. Two of my scuppers are actually in the channel below the cover. I have a heat shield but nothing actually sealing off lip of the hatch to the deck.

Screwloose

The engine hatch is flat and water runs into the channel around the hatch then to the scuppers. The factory put 1/8 inch foam on three sides but it did not seal very well and a lot of the water wound up in the engine compartment. I bought some 1/4 inch thick high temp marine weather seal at Lowes and put it on the edge of the deck instead of the hatch. Water no longer gets into the engine compartment and I have noticed a definate reduction in noise. Being on the edge of the opening instead of the hatch cover makes it more suseptable to damage but was a lot easier.

JWood

Dry....Very Dry Bilge 13 Oct 2007 04:48 #7

• BLCarl
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 2
I accidently found a similar problem.The boat is covered on a trailer and it hasn't rained. The back of the transum shower controll dripped into the bilge after the pump was turned off until the pressure is gone. It was just a splash but it accumulated. I visit it often and turn on the pump while I'm there.

Carl

Carl
  • Page:
Moderators: whiskywizarditsabowtime2
Time to create page: 0.095 seconds