Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Sweat and Tears

Sweat and Tears 10 Sep 2007 23:35 #1

• JDP
  • JDP's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
The tears are from the sweat running into my eyes. I bought this boat early this summer and the liar, I mean the guy that sold it to me said it ran great. It started and seemed to idle good in the driveway with the muffs. I know now that don't mean diddly. So after hours of troubleshooting and a couple hundred dollars later I got the motor running really good. Since I had to order most of the parts online I had to wait so I started on the interior. Of course the floor needed to be replaced. So out came the carpet and all the floor. Got the new floor put in and glassed everthing.

On to the seats. The old seats were really weathered and dirty. So I started with the back seats. I spent what seemed like hour removing 50 million staples and taking the covers off. I undid (is that even a word) all the stitching and traced the pieces onto the new vinyl. Then started the pain in the butt process of sewing them all back together. So I don't know how to estimate materials and ran out of welt and the local supply shop sold me all they had. So now I had to wait for more.

Ok no big deal I'll start on the gel coat. I didn't think it looked that bad so I just hit it with the buffer. Well after a couple of days the haze came back. Since I worked for a couple years in a detail shop I knew what to be done. I broke out the sandpaper and started wet sanding. I started with 1000 grit and worked my way up to 2000. Then got the boat reacquainted with the buffer again. Started with rubbing compound and moved to a swirl remover and finished with a polish. Then applied a nice coat of wax by hand. Dang she looks like a new boat.

The welt came in and I started back on the front seats. This time I had to remove 500 million staples. Got the covers made for them and put it all back together.

Here's some pics of what has been done so far. Still have a couple small things to do but it will do for now.

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

Here's what the old seats looked like

And the new ones

I will post some more when I get them downloaded.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Sweat and Tears 11 Sep 2007 00:00 #2

• Visitor
  • Visitor
Nice job .Enjoy ..

Sweat and Tears 11 Sep 2007 01:41 #3

• oh_wells
The seats look great! My husband wants me to redo the seats on our boat and I'm nervous to do so, but I think you gave me a bit of inspiration. Heck, the worst I could do is mess them up, right?

I'm impressed to say the least!

1996 2858
"Oh Wells"

Sweat and Tears 11 Sep 2007 03:39 #4

• nismopowered
Looks good! I think I will be doing all that this winter myself. Gives me something to look forward to!

Jeremy, Just trying not to sink!
2003 Z1000
2002 Bayliner 175
1993 ZX6E
1972 240z
2008 Rav4
2003 KFX80

Sweat and Tears 11 Sep 2007 04:27 #5

• mcleaves
Looks good.. What is up with that companionway door system? Does the whole front open up? Never seen anything like that.

M

Sweat and Tears 11 Sep 2007 05:41 #6

• JDP
  • JDP's Avatar Topic Author
The seats weren't really all that hard to do. I did it with a cheapo walmart sewing machine. If your going to use a household sewing machine you will need the biggest needle you can find. I used #18 needles for mine. If your careful when you take to old seats apart you can lay them out and trace the pattern right onto the new vinyl. I used what they call embossed welt which is a PVC material. You can get it online for something like $0.50 a yard. I also used UVR bonded thread that I got from the uphostery supply shop. All in all it was kinda fun to do.

Not sure what door your talking about. The one going to the cuddy up front? If so they are kinda like bi-fold doors. They open up so you can crawl into the cuddy where there is a seating area that makes into a bed. That's my kids favorite place to ride.

Sweat and Tears 20 Sep 2007 18:34 #7

• tkt117
We are doing the exact same thing to our boat right now. I have two of the 16 cushions dones. For those who are contemplating the restoration... it isn't as bad as I was expecting. It is taking a lot more vinyl than I was expecting, but my cheapy sewing machine is just flying right through the vinyl and the welting.

I'll post pics when I am done... but now that I have seen other peoples boats I am inspired to do the WHOLE boat!

Looks great!
Tammy
195 Bow Rider

Sweat and Tears 20 Sep 2007 18:44 #8

• mcleaves

JDP;67356 wrote: Not sure what door your talking about. The one going to the cuddy up front? If so they are kinda like bi-fold doors. They open up so you can crawl into the cuddy where there is a seating area that makes into a bed. That's my kids favorite place to ride.

Yeah.. they seem to be twice as wide as anything I have seen, especially on a small cuddy. Looks like everything on the port side opens up into the cuddy.. is that correct?

M

Sweat and Tears 21 Sep 2007 05:41 #9

• tbear
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 3

mcleaves;70552 wrote: Yeah.. they seem to be twice as wide as anything I have seen, especially on a small cuddy. Looks like everything on the port side opens up into the cuddy.. is that correct?

M

that is odd on a Bayliner. I've seen some pics of cuddys w/ a normal bifold door for cuddy access and the port "door" actually be a "window" or ventilation opening. love to see that open....

Sweat and Tears 21 Sep 2007 13:54 #10

• Go Aweigh2452
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Olalla, WA
  • Thank you received: 534
Pride in workmanship... Now you know it is yours... nice job!!! :arr

Doug ;}
MMSI: 338068776
"Go Aweigh to" Photos < click on red letters... 2001 Bayliner 2452 w/6.2 HO (paid for)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Sweat and Tears 21 Sep 2007 17:02 #11

• dac122
All,

I think we have an expert on upholstery here. I would expect many more questions, JDP, or should I say, I anoint thee Sir Knight Upholsterer Guru. :)

You know I spent $200 on my drivers seat alone. You've given me confidence I can at least do the back bench seat cushions.

BTW, did you also do the sides, in addition to the seats? If not, you did a nice job of matching fabric.

1992 Bayliner 1950 Capri Classic (Cuddy) 3.0L Merc Alpha I

Sweat and Tears 21 Sep 2007 20:23 #12

• Syzygyone
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
QUOTE=tbear;70739]that is odd on a Bayliner. I've seen some pics of cuddys w/ a normal bifold door for cuddy access and the port "door" actually be a "window" or ventilation opening. love to see that open....[/QUOTE]

Check out this for sale thread...Looks like the same model to me...
For Sale by Maa Melee

Good Luck & Smooth Cruisin' to ya'll! :arr
The Admiral and Syzygyone
"Afternoon Delight"

Albums - '77 Sea Ray 240 SRV SDB; '03 Bayliner 175

Sweat and Tears 16 Oct 2007 01:53 #13

• dlh3077
i have the same boat i have got to replace my floor allso any sugestions is going to be as bad of a job as i think

• Page:
Moderators: whiskywizarditsabowtime2
Time to create page: 0.111 seconds