Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Dos Monitos - 2007 Electrical Upgrade

Dos Monitos - 2007 Electrical Upgrade 13 Jul 2007 23:30 #1

• Dos Monitos
  • Dos Monitos's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
Installation of a House bank and Inverter/ Charger with remote.

This was my spring project, I tried to follow all ABYC standards during installion … I think I complied with all “shall” and most of the “should”. If anyone sees something not per the standards let me know.
http://www.baylinerownersclub.org/gallery/2007-Electrical-Upgrade

Details:
Inverter/ Charger:
Xantrex Freedom Marine 15.
http://www.xantrex.com/web/id/50/p/1/pt/7/product.asp

House Bank (Bat #2 side of MBSS):
4 Trojan T-105 (6 volt golf cart batteries).
http://www.trojan-battery.com/Products/T-1056V.aspx

Battery Boxes:
2 Blue Sea Systems (Mfr# 4021) battery boxes.
http://bluesea.com/files/resources/instructions/Battery_Boxes.pdf

Xantrex Remote Control:
Remote control unit was mounted in a Hammond “Sloping Console” Project box.
http://www.hammondmfg.com/dwg6slp.htm
The assembly was mounted with snaps to head bulkhead near the companion way. Extra cable hangs on the backside of the bulkhead allowing for temporary placement at the helm.

Battery Cable:
Anchor Marine 2/0

AC Cable:
Marine Grade 10/3

DC Inverter Disconnect:
Hella Battery Switch with Key

Main AC breaker panel:
Split loads to create a “sub-panel” within the stock panel.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Jake Mc
"Dos Monitos"
(Two Little Monkeys)

2004 265 (275) 5.0 L MPI Bravo III

MMSI: 316 011 707

Photos of DosMonitos

Dos Monitos - 2007 Electrical Upgrade 14 Jul 2007 03:06 #2

• trimjb
Great job! Very professional install.
John

Dos Monitos - 2007 Electrical Upgrade 16 Jul 2007 22:08 #3

• Dos Monitos
She went over budget and exceeded schedule I even spent a couple nights in the dog house for it (and we don't have a dog). However after the first few weekends without worrying about power I was issued a pardon.

Jake Mc
"Dos Monitos"
(Two Little Monkeys)

Photos of DosMonitos

Dos Monitos - 2007 Electrical Upgrade 17 Nov 2007 16:41 #4

• madmatt192
Great looking job, looks very professional. I have a 2003 265 that I am planning installing a house bank like this as a winter project, following the hardwood floors in the cabin. I boat at 6000 ft above sea level, My 265(275) top end with 24 degree Bravo III and 350 Mag with camper canvas up is 36mph. Last winter I added an extended swim platform from swimplatforms.com, a remote troll and a 9.9hp 4 stroke tohatsu kicker. I didin't experience any problems planing with this arrangement. Did you experience any problems getting on plane after adding what looks like 250-300 lbs of baterries, boxes, and cable in the stern? I am afraid that full gas and water would preclude me from planing with this much weight at my altitude. Maybe a forward house bank would suit me better, but space is limited for the big boxes. Any suggestions, comments, or ideas would be appreciated. How much additional power did you realize from the new house bank?
Thanks,

Matt

Matt and his beautiful bride NathaLee
2003 265 ciera sunbridge
2004 Trophy 1802

Dos Monitos - 2007 Electrical Upgrade 23 Nov 2007 07:30 #5

• Dos Monitos

madmatt192;88403 wrote: Great looking job, looks very professional. I have a 2003 265 that I am planning installing a house bank like this as a winter project, following the hardwood floors in the cabin. I boat at 6000 ft above sea level, My 265(275) top end with 24 degree Bravo III and 350 Mag with camper canvas up is 36mph. Last winter I added an extended swim platform from swimplatforms.com, a remote troll and a 9.9hp 4 stroke tohatsu kicker. I didin't experience any problems planing with this arrangement. Did you experience any problems getting on plane after adding what looks like 250-300 lbs of baterries, boxes, and cable in the stern? I am afraid that full gas and water would preclude me from planing with this much weight at my altitude. Maybe a forward house bank would suit me better, but space is limited for the big boxes. Any suggestions, comments, or ideas would be appreciated. How much additional power did you realize from the new house bank?
Thanks,

Matt

Matt,
I experienced no trouble with my arrangement. To tell the truth I didn’t notice any difference out of the hole with time on plane. The 4 golf cart batteries (T-105 Trojans) proved to suit our needs well; we spent 4 days 3 nights on several occasions over the summer with out totally depleting the house bank. On all occasions we ran out of potable water first (potable water conservation is a term not yet understood by my junior crew members … ages 3 and 5). In 2006 we had a single 12 volt start battery and a single 12 volt deep cycle house battery, (no inverter) I would have to move to the start battery, to start the engine after just 2 days and 1 night on house power.

Yes I added approximately 300 lbs; however I took a lot of care in placing it all as far forward as I could. This meant rerouting a few cables and hoses and moving my potable water pump. I had to make a couple of mounting bases (3/4” Epoxy coated plywood) that are cantilevered slightly to accept the battery boxes. The lion’s share of the weight of course is the batteries; a few inches can make a lot of difference in moving weight away from the transom in the engine bay. The T-105 batteries require maintenance and this location allows easy access. I must have checked the water level of each cell 10 times this summer … never needed to add any water, it’s just the service manual that came with the batteries had me a little over cautious.

As for running at altitude I can’t really comment other then if your carb is all ready set for this altitude my feeling is that you’d be fine (if your 350 Mag is MPI … well then you’re laughing).

Our 5.0 MPI seems to run wide open throttle at about 33-34 mph depending on weather and water conditions. This seems about the same as before adding the weight. I’m mostly cursing at 2800 RPM at say 25 mph again depending on weather and water conditions so my WOT numbers are little fuzzy.

Jake Mc
"Dos Monitos"
(Two Little Monkeys)

Photos of DosMonitos

Dos Monitos - 2007 Electrical Upgrade 23 Nov 2007 08:08 #6

• pkrogh
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
I'm curious about where you located the battery fuses/breakers? I don't see any near the batteries.

Pete

"KROGHS NEST"
1983 Trophy 2260, '93 VP 250-A/SPA
Nordland , Washington, USA

Dos Monitos - 2007 Electrical Upgrade 24 Nov 2007 06:25 #7

• Dos Monitos

pkrogh;89840 wrote: I'm curious about where you located the battery fuses/breakers? I don't see any near the batteries.

Pete

Pete,
I have a 200 amp class T fuse at the house (bat 2) buss bar, located behind MBSS.

Jake Mc
"Dos Monitos"
(Two Little Monkeys)

Photos of DosMonitos

Dos Monitos - 2007 Electrical Upgrade 24 Nov 2007 17:00 #8

• Go Aweigh2452
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Olalla, WA
  • Thank you received: 534
Very nice install. I don't think a pro with several years experience would do any better...

I really like the remote snap on/off feature... cleaver...

Doug ;}
MMSI: 338068776
"Go Aweigh to" Photos < click on red letters... 2001 Bayliner 2452 w/6.2 HO (paid for)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Dos Monitos - 2007 Electrical Upgrade 24 Nov 2007 20:07 #9

• pkrogh
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
It's a beautiful job, with everything well supported. I was concerned about the length of cable between the batteries and the fuses. As you probably know, it's that one length of cable that is not protected by a fuse and, if for some wild reason, that cable were to short to ground the cable could burn as there is no fuse. But it looks like the cables are so well isolated and supported that a short is just about impossible! The only better mounting for the (+) cables between the batteries and fuses would be in plastic conduit.

Good work!

Pete

"KROGHS NEST"
1983 Trophy 2260, '93 VP 250-A/SPA
Nordland , Washington, USA

Dos Monitos - 2007 Electrical Upgrade 25 Nov 2007 01:58 #10

• Dos Monitos
Pete,
Your comments are good ones and very valid. Now that I have it all done I see your point. For the price and effort involved with adding two more fuse assemblies it’s cheap insurance, I also believe it would most likely be ok as is … but let’s remove all doubt.

Two more fuse assemblies on the to do list.

Jake Mc
"Dos Monitos"
(Two Little Monkeys)

Photos of DosMonitos

Dos Monitos - 2007 Electrical Upgrade 10 Dec 2007 21:23 #11

• The_Sea_Word
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
I've been reading along trying to gather information/ideas for what I need to do to my boat, and your installation looks very very well done, Jake.

I do have one suggestion for you though, Jake- and this is in no way a detriment to your installation, just some other information that may help you reevaluate the GFIC on the deck area:

A GFIC protected receptacle is only protected on the LOAD side, the LINE part of the receptacle always remains hot. They aren't designed for submersion, splashing, and the like- the hazard would be that the water splashes in and shorts the receptacle internally betweeen the LINE terminals, or shorts the hot to ground. The GFIC, even if it is triggered to "OFF", will still be shorting. If I were to do similarly on my boat, I would put the GFIC in a protected, dry location in the cabin and take off of the "LOAD" side of the GFIC for my deck receptacle. This way, the entire receptacle out on the deck is GFIC protected.

Again, not to diminish your work or say you did it "wrong", just to help you decide if you might make a small change to further improve the safety factor. It may also improve the longevity, as I've found in residential use outside GFIC receptacles don't last very long, that and the above mentioned bit prompts me to use a GFIC circuit breaker in the mains panel for outdoor receptacle circuits, and then use the heavy-duty nylon industrial receptacles in the boxes, they hold up great.

Dos Monitos - 2007 Electrical Upgrade 11 Dec 2007 06:48 #12

• hargsnz
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 12
Hi Great project.

So professional. I'm always tempted to cut a corner here & there & obviously you've resisted this - even just looking at the cable runs.

The problem is that at 20 - 30knts you are not really 'cruising' anywhere long enough to being the batteries back up full compated to the larger diesel boats.

The next step is to uprate your alternator to say a 120amp & install a Balmar type smart regulator. That way you can put 100Amps back into the system in a reasonably short run.

Other thing I always do is add a salt water pressure tap bathroom & kitchen sink.

Then the kids can wash hands etc in clean running salt.

Fresh is used only in a 1/2 glass for cleaning teeth.

Bay Seeker
1994 3288
  • Page:
Moderators: whiskywizarditsabowtime2
Time to create page: 0.122 seconds