Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: New format.

New format. 05 May 2017 03:54 #51

• boatworkfl
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 354
Most of the neg comments on the new format is we do not like the new format, 2nd the non color is bland and boring, hard to deal with for some members.
Even the black print is more gray than black in the post prior to hitting the submit key, blue is a lighter color also.
I wonder if it will deter new members?
Seems to me that the security issue can be resolved without changing the format!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Pat says: DO-IT-RIGHT THE FIRST TIME!

Bayliner 3870 "ALASKA33)
Twin 350 GM power
Located in Seward, AK
Retired marine surveyor
Last Edit: by boatworkfl.

New format. 05 May 2017 10:18 #52

• Gtown
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 66

boatworkfl wrote: Most of the neg comments on the new format is we do not like the new format, 2nd the non color is bland and boring, hard to deal with for some members.
Even the black print is more gray than black in the post prior to hitting the submit key, blue is a lighter color also.
I wonder if it will deter new members?
Seems to me that the security issue can be resolved without changing the format!

Wow! You think because the black print Is a little more gray and the blue is lighter could deter new members? #firstworldproblems

Not to mention the new members will have no knowledge of the older version.

If you assume that the security can be resolved without changing the format you may want to volunteer your time to work on the site with the admins. I for one would put security over a pretty blue font.

To the VOLUNTEER admins please listen to the constructive feedback and try your best to accommodate if the software allows. I for one came here not looking for a pretty font and interface but for the great advice and knowledge that exists on BOC. Keep up the great work!

New format. 05 May 2017 12:35 #53

• boatworkfl
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
WE know we are stuck with the new format because of the increased security, I keep wondering why the increased security could not have been built into the old format unless who ever owns the program we buy from say this is it. We still do not have to like the new format, looks like we will just need to get used to it!

Bayliner 3870 "ALASKA33)
Twin 350 GM power
Located in Seward, AK
Retired marine surveyor

New format. 05 May 2017 13:31 #54

• Download_Complete
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 551

boatworkfl wrote: WE know we are stuck with the new format because of the increased security, I keep wondering why the increased security could not have been built into the old format unless who ever owns the program we buy from say this is it. We still do not have to like the new format, looks like we will just need to get used to it!

We have tried to explain it to you, and bobmorgan has also given some very constructive input on why "the fonts" are not the same anymore.

"WE" aren't changing anything. The software this forum runs on has made changes resulting in changes to the templates (that is the look and feel of the site if you don't know what that means). We are now running more or less default color schemes. This obviously can be changed if we were professional web managers with time to kill, but we are not. And doing that means more work for us in the future as Joomla/Kunena may make a change and not support those again.

One other thing: You may notice Terry responding a lot here as an admin. I brought Terry in to supplement me and backend IT because he understands how to manage the Joomla package we have. This means the admin role is now broken into the main Admin (me) and supporting Admins (Terry and IT). This means the BOC is now run by a team of engaged BOC members, providing backup and coverage.

I want to publicly recognize Terry and IT for the jobs they are doing. Together, I feel that there has been tangible progress in making BOC faster, more stable, and more secure.

I understand change to the look and feel of a website takes time, but between increased familiarity with the features and your feedback (when we can change something), I believe we will get back to normal quickly.

THank you again for your support, and especially for the feedback that you are giving. I want to also give a hat tip to bobmorgan for his advice on the forum software....it's not going unnoticed.

- Matt
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nikko, Shawnh, apaxtongt

Matt Train
BOC Admin
Chicagoland, IL

New format. 05 May 2017 14:02 #55

• talman
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Look for us in the San Juans
  • Thank you received: 120
Matt, here are my thoughts, most of the repeats, but pics enclosed
BOC is very hard to read. Font is too light and too small.
The Hover over feature works, but it displays the last comment, not the original topic, which is why you hover: Do I want to read this topic.
Good luck and thank you.

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Tally and Vicki
"Wickus" Meridian 341
MMSI 338014939

New format. 05 May 2017 14:13 #56

• Download_Complete
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
Talman -

First question - did you resize the browser settings as we discussed above?

I did that and it's effective.

Matt Train
BOC Admin
Chicagoland, IL

New format. 05 May 2017 15:30 #57

• aspen1880
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 119
I like the old format. fwiw, I use safari on a mac.

Novurania 335DL. 30HP. WKRP in cincinnati. Previously: Bayliner 3818 in PNW.

New format. 05 May 2017 18:25 #58

• masonj
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 33
NOTICABLY WORSE ON MY IPHONE. NOT AS PROBLEMATIC ON MY LAPTOP.

1990 4588

New format. 05 May 2017 18:33 #59

• Alaskanmutt
  • Anchorage Alaska
  • Thank you received: 323
I like what ever format I can get.
The format 2 or so years ago was great, until the site got hacked. Then it wasn't so great.
I would rather have to change my computer settings for this one site rather than open it to security issues.
And since some of it can't be changed (the software changed) I will live with it and make due the best I can.
I will not throw a fit and say I won't donate because I don't like the shade of the screen nor the font.

Where I work they do security patches and updates weekly on the 100 or so different programs I use. Some are benign, some are a slap in the face with the difference in changes, every now and then I have to contact IT and ask "this program is asking for this change and it looks completely different, is this normal?". Maybe I am just used to it, but whatever it take gentlemen, I am for it.

Boatless at this time

A veteran is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America," for an amount of "up to and including their life."

New format. 05 May 2017 19:26 #60

• Download_Complete
  • Administrator
  • Administrator

masonj wrote: NOTICABLY WORSE ON MY IPHONE. NOT AS PROBLEMATIC ON MY LAPTOP.

A quick note here -

We aren't mind readers. We are willing to track down every single complaint on rendering issues, but you need to give us information on what you don't like, where and when you see it, and what you want to see instead.

If you have an issue with, for example, pop up tool tips on topics on iPhone (which I just verified), then say this:

Browsing on my iPhone, iOS version XXX, using Safari. When I click on the main forums in portrait mode, the topics aren't differentiated enough, and tapping once only brings up a preview of the last post in the thread, rather than the first.

That gives us something to look into.

Matt Train
BOC Admin
Chicagoland, IL

New format. 05 May 2017 21:16 #61

• boatworkfl
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Download_Complete wrote:

boatworkfl wrote: WE know we are stuck with the new format because of the increased security, I keep wondering why the increased security could not have been built into the old format unless who ever owns the program we buy from say this is it. We still do not have to like the new format, looks like we will just need to get used to it!

We have tried to explain it to you, and bobmorgan has also given some very constructive input on why "the fonts" are not the same anymore.

"WE" aren't changing anything. The software this forum runs on has made changes resulting in changes to the templates (that is the look and feel of the site if you don't know what that means). We are now running more or less default color schemes. This obviously can be changed if we were professional web managers with time to kill, but we are not. And doing that means more work for us in the future as Joomla/Kunena may make a change and not support those again.

I understand what you are saying, and I and we do appreciate the hard work it is to maintain this site, let alone the new format and I thank you for it. Pat

One other thing: You may notice Terry responding a lot here as an admin. I brought Terry in to supplement me and backend IT because he understands how to manage the Joomla package we have. This means the admin role is now broken into the main Admin (me) and supporting Admins (Terry and IT). This means the BOC is now run by a team of engaged BOC members, providing backup and coverage.

I want to publicly recognize Terry and IT for the jobs they are doing. Together, I feel that there has been tangible progress in making BOC faster, more stable, and more secure.

I understand change to the look and feel of a website takes time, but between increased familiarity with the features and your feedback (when we can change something), I believe we will get back to normal quickly.

THank you again for your support, and especially for the feedback that you are giving. I want to also give a hat tip to bobmorgan for his advice on the forum software....it's not going unnoticed.

- Matt

Bayliner 3870 "ALASKA33)
Twin 350 GM power
Located in Seward, AK
Retired marine surveyor

New format. 05 May 2017 21:27 #62

• fritzman
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Fritz, Boat- 2859 -1993 name Scotch&Water
  • Thank you received: 184
since this OLD GLUE is a total lost in the bilges, I will take what I get, but might not like it, so it is what it is.

Old Glue

New format. 07 May 2017 02:57 #63

• builderdude
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • "THE FIX"
  • Thank you received: 806
Another thing I've noticed, under the thread title the members name is missing ( the member that started the thread) is that coming back?

Dave
Edmonds, WA
"THE FIX"
'93 2556 5.7 Bravo II 2.0:1 18 1/4x19 P
.030 over-Vortec top end-part closed cooled
***The rebuild of my 2556***
www.baylinerownersclub.org/index.php/for...ansom-repair-my-2556

New format. 07 May 2017 03:32 #64

• boatworkfl
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

fritzman wrote: since this OLD GLUE is a total lost in the bilges, I will take what I get, but might not like it, so it is what it is.

I come to the same conclusion.
That being said, constructive input is usually welcome.

Bayliner 3870 "ALASKA33)
Twin 350 GM power
Located in Seward, AK
Retired marine surveyor

New format . . . hmm, not so much . . . 08 May 2017 19:13 #65

• Dadrock33
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • SE of York, PA
  • Thank you received: 71
Please BOLD the posting's titles . . hard to read . . . and please return the pages listing to the right side bottom where they used to be (and increase the font size) . . . . thank you.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shawnh

1998 Avanti 3685 - "Dad's Dream" w 454 Mercs - just a rockin' an'a rollin'
Former - "Home Aweigh" 2003 - 2452 Bayliner Cierra Classic Hardtop Cruiser
WQQM835 MMSI: 338147209
James H. Stradling

New format . . . hmm, not so much . . . 08 May 2017 19:28 #66

• Download_Complete
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
Merged into the current running topic.

We are looking into it, but as noted before, it may not be an easy fix.

Matt Train
BOC Admin
Chicagoland, IL

New format. 09 May 2017 04:18 #67

• Opu
  • Thank you received: 5
I'm running Safari on my iPad, iOS 10.3.1. When I tap on a topic the "preview" message appears but it won't go away. Single or double tap on the message doesn't do anything. If I tap on the topic a second time I go to the entries, but the message is still there when I return to the topic list. Perhaps a per-user option could be supplied to turn off the preview feature. I really find the preview to be more irritating than useful.

That said, thanks for your hard work in keeping the site going. As a fellow website admin I know it's not easy to keep a site up to date, useful and safe. :)

Dick
Cheers
Oceanside
1987 3218 w/ 150 Hinos

New format. 09 May 2017 06:08 #68

• builderdude
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • "THE FIX"

Opu wrote: I'm running Safari on my iPad, iOS 10.3.1. When I tap on a topic the "preview" message appears but it won't go away. Single or double tap on the message doesn't do anything. If I tap on the topic a second time I go to the entries, but the message is still there when I return to the topic list. Perhaps a per-user option could be supplied to turn off the preview feature. I really find the preview to be more irritating than useful.

That said, thanks for your hard work in keeping the site going. As a fellow website admin I know it's not easy to keep a site up to date, useful and safe. :)

Me too

Dave
Edmonds, WA
"THE FIX"

New format. 09 May 2017 15:07 #69

• Download_Complete
  • Administrator
  • Administrator

Opu wrote: I'm running Safari on my iPad, iOS 10.3.1. When I tap on a topic the "preview" message appears but it won't go away. Single or double tap on the message doesn't do anything. If I tap on the topic a second time I go to the entries, but the message is still there when I return to the topic list. Perhaps a per-user option could be supplied to turn off the preview feature. I really find the preview to be more irritating than useful.

Especially if you haven't done it before.

Thanks. We appreciate the support. :)

Matt Train
BOC Admin
Chicagoland, IL

New format. 09 May 2017 15:21 #70

• oakplank
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • 2014 Element owner
  • Thank you received: 92

builderdude wrote:

Me too

Also, me, using google chrome

Parry Sound, Ontario Canada
2014 Bayliner Element with Mercury 60 HP EFI Big Foot OB
12 foot aluminum fishing boat

New format. 09 May 2017 15:33 #71

• TenMile
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 215
Can someone post a screenshot of this issue please. I don't have an iPad to test this out.

Terry
1999 Bayliner 3388
Twin Cummins 4BTA
Fisherman, Cruiser, Boaticus-enthusiasticus-maximus
Member Royal Victoria Yacht Club

New format. 09 May 2017 16:05 #72

• builderdude
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • "THE FIX"
Terry, you need to get one. Once you go iPad you never go back :lol: Here's a screen shot from my iPad (older iPad gen 4 I think) Two previews showing at once.

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Dave
Edmonds, WA
"THE FIX"
Last Edit: by builderdude.

New format. 09 May 2017 20:35 #73

• TenMile
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 215
Thanks -- I've opened a case with the software developer.

PS: In terms of Apple - I went there, and did indeed go back. We had the full Apple ecosystem at home, and ended up moving to the Google Ecosystem -- Android phones, Chromebooks, Google Play Music etc...

Terry
1999 Bayliner 3388
Twin Cummins 4BTA
Fisherman, Cruiser, Boaticus-enthusiasticus-maximus
Member Royal Victoria Yacht Club
Last Edit: by TenMile.

New format. 09 May 2017 21:13 #74

• Shawnh
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 83
I am having the exact same issue on my iPad 2 (that no longer will update to iOS 10) and on my iPhone 7 running the latest iOS update (both using Safari).

The only issue see on all my systems (iPhone 7, iPad 2 and Windows 10 desk top and laptop) is that the topic font would be nicer if it were bolded.

Other than that, this site is fine. Change is a part of life. I don't always like it, but I have learned to live with it :)

Thanks for keeping the lights on!

1992 3288, twin Hino 150's sold
S. Puget Sound

New format. 10 May 2017 01:09 #75

• oakplank
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • 2014 Element owner
  • Thank you received: 92

builderdude wrote: Terry, you need to get one. Once you go iPad you never go back :lol: Here's a screen shot from my iPad (older iPad gen 4 I think) Two previews showing at once.

That's exactly how mine looks like. The other problem is, if the black box has a lot of text in it, it covers up the tread above it so you can't see its details.

Parry Sound, Ontario Canada
2014 Bayliner Element with Mercury 60 HP EFI Big Foot OB
12 foot aluminum fishing boat
Last Edit: by oakplank.
Moderators: whiskywizarditsabowtime2
Time to create page: 0.164 seconds