Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: PP is gone ?

PP is gone ? 23 Jan 2017 16:13 #76

• iceclimber
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 115
Everyone needs to release their tax returns for complete transparency.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Iproff, rafaelfigueira, apaxtongt, TPerk274
The topic has been locked.

PP is gone ? 23 Jan 2017 16:23 #77

• Iproff
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 127

iceclimber wrote: Everyone needs to release their tax returns for complete transparency.

LOL

Very good
Watching crow being slowly eaten in the PNW.
The village idiot strikes again.

PP is gone ? 23 Jan 2017 16:51 #78

• TPerk274
  • Thank you received: 7

ksanders wrote:

Norton Rider wrote: As the leader/president, of this organization you have to make decisions, and soliciting the input of the entire membership will often just result in chaos. There is a team of people that I can guarantee discussed, argued, and debated the issue at length. I know this because when I was part of that team we debated the viability of PP more than once.

All that aside it is up to the Matt to make decisions that he feels are in the best interest of the organization in the long term. Leading this place is not easy, and no leader makes everyone happy.

+1

Lake Memphremagog, Newport, VT
2015 Bayliner 175 BR
Mercruiser 135/3.0 MPI Alpha One

PP is gone ? 23 Jan 2017 17:11 #79

• Download_Complete
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 551

Norton Rider wrote:

ksanders wrote:

Norton Rider wrote: You guys are missing my point entirely.

I am not saying that deleting the PP section was a bad thing. I am saying that the moderators should solicit the input from BOC members prior to making such a change.

I don't agree with that, having spent my time in the helm chair here at the BOC.

As the leader/president, of this organization you have to make decisions, and soliciting the input of the entire membership will often just result in chaos. There is a team of people that I can guarantee discussed, argued, and debated the issue at length. I know this because when I was part of that team we debated the viability of PP more than once.

All that aside it is up to the Matt to make decisions that he feels are in the best interest of the organization in the long term. Leading this place is not easy, and no leader makes everyone happy.

Kevin,
Thanks for your feedback. I still believe that more transparency is needed before these decisions are made.

I appreciate the feedback.

Kevin is right, and on this topic, I felt I had enough feedback from the moderation and admin team (both present and previous) that, when added to our current duties, it made sense to close the Politics forum. I also spoke to why the forum was closed in my sticky note on this forum. And the reasons have been hashed, and re-hashed, and re-hashed again, here in this topic. I had enough feedback, and given what this site stands for (boats), it was not in keeping with where we are going as a club.

I have tried to stay quiet and let the conversations continue, but I wanted to respond to your points particularly because it implies we aren't listening to our members. Rest assured, we are, and I read every single comment on this topic. This is not a dictatorship. The mods and I are a team and we discuss these issues in the background before any decision is made.

I realize some of the more vocal will disagree, but hey, this is a democracy after all.
Matt Train
BOC Admin
Chicagoland, IL

PP is gone ? 23 Jan 2017 17:22 #80

• iceclimber
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 115
I will be the first to admit that I get sucked into political topics. I had to remove myself from facebook, lost a bunch of friends etc. Having a 100% fake news and political free zone is a good idea. We get enough of that in the world.

In my humble opinion, that includes the Dock Walk as well.

PP is gone ? 23 Jan 2017 17:51 #81

• Download_Complete
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
The Dock Walk will not absorb the conversations that took place in PP. TDW will remain as it now - general conversation, and the mod team is in agreement on that and will enforce that.

I don't know how many other ways I can say this for certain individuals: Politics is dead here at the BOC. Go somewhere else if you need to talk politics. Come here if you want to talk about Bayliners.

I hope that's about as clear as it gets.
Matt Train
BOC Admin
Chicagoland, IL
Last Edit: by Download_Complete.

PP is gone ? 23 Jan 2017 18:00 #82

• Norton Rider
  • Away
  • Thank you received: 606

Download_Complete wrote:

Norton Rider wrote:

ksanders wrote:

Norton Rider wrote: You guys are missing my point entirely.

I am not saying that deleting the PP section was a bad thing. I am saying that the moderators should solicit the input from BOC members prior to making such a change.

I don't agree with that, having spent my time in the helm chair here at the BOC.

As the leader/president, of this organization you have to make decisions, and soliciting the input of the entire membership will often just result in chaos. There is a team of people that I can guarantee discussed, argued, and debated the issue at length. I know this because when I was part of that team we debated the viability of PP more than once.

Kevin,
Thanks for your feedback. I still believe that more transparency is needed before these decisions are made.

I appreciate the feedback.

Kevin is right, and on this topic, I felt I had enough feedback from the moderation and admin team (both present and previous) that, when added to our current duties, it made sense to close the Politics forum. I also spoke to why the forum was closed in my sticky note on this forum. And the reasons have been hashed, and re-hashed, and re-hashed again, here in this topic. I had enough feedback, and given what this site stands for (boats), it was not in keeping with where we are going as a club.

I have tried to stay quiet and let the conversations continue, but I wanted to respond to your points particularly because it implies we aren't listening to our members. Rest assured, we are, and I read every single comment on this topic. This is not a dictatorship. The mods and I are a team and we discuss these issues in the background before any decision is made.

I realize some of the more vocal will disagree, but hey, this is a democracy after all.

Thanks
1999 3788, Cummins 270 "Freedom"
2013 Boston Whaler 130 SS
Anacortes, WA

PP is gone ? 23 Jan 2017 18:03 #83

• Douggy
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 70

Download_Complete wrote: The Dock Walk will not absorb the conversations that took place in PP. TDW will remain as it now - general conversation, and the mod team is in agreement on that and will enforce that.

I don't know how many other ways I can say this for certain individuals: Politics is dead here at the BOC. Go somewhere else if you need to talk politics. Come here if you want to talk about Bayliners.

I don't think anyone suggested that political discussions should be allowed in Dock Walk now. The point I made was in response that BOC should be "boating only" discussions and I said that the Dock Walk isn't a "boating only" discussion sub-forum. The argument of political discussions on BOC is over as far as I'm concerned.
2003 Bayliner 245
2007 Sedona F21

PP is gone ? 23 Jan 2017 18:09 #84

• Download_Complete
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator

Douggy wrote:

Download_Complete wrote: The Dock Walk will not absorb the conversations that took place in PP. TDW will remain as it now - general conversation, and the mod team is in agreement on that and will enforce that.

I don't think anyone suggested that political discussions should be allowed in Dock Walk now. The point I made was in response that BOC should be "boating only" discussions and I said that the Dock Walk isn't a "boating only" discussion sub-forum. The argument of political discussions on BOC is over as far as I'm concerned.

Good. TDW's purpose for being is clearly stated on the forum main page when you click on it and I don't think anyone disagrees with that.

Carry on....
Matt Train
BOC Admin
Chicagoland, IL

PP is gone ? 24 Jan 2017 23:35 #85

• Obi
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 158
I totally agree and stand behind the moderators/admin who removed the PP section as I trust that they know what happens behind the scenes that the normal posters do not see.
I came to this site because of my bayliner boat, nothing more .
Bayliner 242 EU (2006)
5.0 L Mercruiser , Alpha I gen II .
Raw water cooling.
Last Edit: by Obi.

PP is gone ? 26 Jan 2017 20:27 #86

• TigerBoat
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 34
Can we also ban football discussions if the Falcons win the Super Bowl?

(semi serious)
2016 75hp Element 160 w/ Smart Tabs & Sponson Drains
Last Edit: by TigerBoat.

PP is gone ? 26 Jan 2017 20:40 #87

• Download_Complete
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator

TigerBoat wrote: Can we also ban football discussions if the Falcons win the Super Bowl?

(semi serious)

I'm a Bears fan, so that ship sailed for me long ago.
Matt Train
BOC Admin
Chicagoland, IL

PP is gone ? 27 Jan 2017 01:58 #88

• Foster
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • "Quo Vadimus" 1993 4588
  • Thank you received: 166

Download_Complete wrote:

TigerBoat wrote: Can we also ban football discussions if the Falcons win the Super Bowl?

(semi serious)

I'm a Bears fan, so that ship sailed for me long ago.

Go Pack Go!! .... won't be an oft heard cheer at our SB party, so I don't have a dog in the fight. Hoping the commercials are top rate so we have something to talk about.

An as an aside, there is petition in place to make SB Monday be a Holiday. I'd rather have the SB on Saturday (they do playoff games on Saturday!) so then Sunday is an rest day. I'd rather not screw with the work / school / activity schedule on that Monday.
Yep, my Bayliner IS my happy place :whistle:
Last Edit: by Foster.

PP is gone ? 27 Jan 2017 09:54 #89

• RGrew176
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 335
Go Pats.
Rick Grew

1981 Carver 3007 Aft Cabin

2004 Past Commodore
West River Yacht & Cruising Club
www.wrycc.com

PP is gone ? 27 Jan 2017 14:45 #90

• Download_Complete
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
Buncha communists in here.....

(I'm kidding! Sort of.)
Matt Train
BOC Admin
Chicagoland, IL

PP is gone ? 27 Jan 2017 15:59 #91

• Chief Alen
  • Chief Alen's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Manalapan N.J
  • Thank you received: 1079
I ain't sayin nothin ...
Be good, be happy, for tomorrow is promised to no man !

1994 2452, 5.0l, Alpha gen. 2 drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

'86 / 19' Citation cuddy, Merc. 3.0L / 140 hp 86' , stringer drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

PP is gone ? 29 Jan 2017 04:54 #92

• Needtimetoboat
  • Thank you received: 6
Politics do sometimes pour into boating. Take the CETA Agreement. It attacks cabbatog laws in Canada. Means companies operating vessels in Canada need to be canadian owned an operated (Tugs ferries etc). With the CETA agreement the cabbatoge laws would be non existent and foreign vessels with foreign crews could replace ours with no knowedge or care of our coastlines or environment. That matters to all of us boaters. I do understand non related issues being of concern but I do think a ltitle leanience is necessary when it effects the boating community.
1988 24.5 ciera
350 volvo with a 280 duo prop.
Has B5 props

PP is gone ? 30 Jan 2017 03:02 #93

• Flash Jorden
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 15
Ugghhhhh!!!

I was soooo looking forward to all of the Trump Presidency lively discussions. Especially after all of the wonderful President Obama discussions. Oh well ...
*** Jorden ***
1987 Bayliner 2150 Capri Bow Rider
5L OMC w/Cobra Outdrive
Tandem Axle Trailer

PP is gone ? 30 Jan 2017 04:22 #94

• itsabowtime2
  • Thank you received: 355
Think about it this way.

Look at this thread, zero consensus as to if PP should have stayed or not.

If we had put it out to debate, really, what good would have come from it? In fact, I believe it would have caused more harm then good. Those in favor of it staying would feel as if their voices had not been heard, their opinion did not count.

Sometimes the cleanest breaks are those not debated.
Phil, Vicky, Ashleigh & Sydney
1998 3055 Ciera
(yes, a 1998)
Previous boat: 1993 3055
Dream boat: 70' Azimut or Astondoa 72
Sea Doo XP
Sea Doo GTI SE
Life is short. Boats are cool.
The family that plays together stays together.
Vice Commodore: Bellevue Yacht Club

PP is gone ? 30 Jan 2017 06:37 #95

• freedre
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 188

itsabowtime2 wrote: Think about it this way.

Look at this thread, zero consensus as to if PP should have stayed or not.

If we had put it out to debate, really, what good would have come from it? In fact, I believe it would have caused more harm then good. Those in favor of it staying would feel as if their voices had not been heard, their opinion did not count.

Sometimes the cleanest breaks are those not debated.

It's the "flip a coin" technique. I've used it many times and gotten reasonable results in a lot less time than the alternatives.

I think we should put this to bed and move on.

Just sayin'
Midnight Star
1996 3587
Twin diesels, Hino 250's
Ladysmith, BC
History: 1996 - 2655, 2001 - 2855, 1984 - 3270

PP is gone ? 30 Jan 2017 07:16 #96

• Douggy
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 70
What ... you guys didn't get access to the new BOC political forum?

That's the Boaters Opinions Count forum. :P

Hey ... it's got a ring to it :whistle:
2003 Bayliner 245
2007 Sedona F21
Last Edit: by Douggy.

PP is gone ? 30 Jan 2017 09:32 #97

• Chief Alen
  • Chief Alen's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Manalapan N.J
  • Thank you received: 1079
Flash ....

How you doing buddy ?

Gonna be in your neck of the woods around the 4 the of July .
Be good, be happy, for tomorrow is promised to no man !

1994 2452, 5.0l, Alpha gen. 2 drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

'86 / 19' Citation cuddy, Merc. 3.0L / 140 hp 86' , stringer drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

PP is gone ? 30 Jan 2017 15:07 #98

• Download_Complete
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
Welcome back, Flash. We missed ya.
Matt Train
BOC Admin
Chicagoland, IL

PP is gone ? 31 Jan 2017 06:04 #99

• LeePTI
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 151
As a past participant in PP, I am glad to see it go. Like Iceclimber, it was tough not to look at Recent Topics without checking PP. (Yeah, I took a FB break too.) The result was less time on BOC and fewer contributions to boating subjects. This year is not politics as usual and IMO heated PP debates did sometimes negatively affect the regular sections.

Matt, IMO you don't need to defend the decision. Being a BOC member is a privilege and the MOD's & Admins have earned my respect. I will continue to contribute financially and with posts.

Enough fighting over politics. Back to boating!
Lee
2007 Meridian 490
2007 Meridian 368
1996 2855 Cierra
1978 Caribbean 26'
Oceanside, CA

PP is gone ? 31 Jan 2017 11:48 #100

• TigerBoat
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 34

Needtimetoboat wrote: Politics do sometimes pour into boating. Take the CETA Agreement. It attacks cabbatog laws in Canada. Means companies operating vessels in Canada need to be canadian owned an operated (Tugs ferries etc). With the CETA agreement the cabbatoge laws would be non existent and foreign vessels with foreign crews could replace ours with no knowedge or care of our coastlines or environment. That matters to all of us boaters. I do understand non related issues being of concern but I do think a ltitle leanience is necessary when it effects the boating community.

Does the trade situation with Mexico & the US (which I suspect will impact Bayliner) fall into the politics arena?
2016 75hp Element 160 w/ Smart Tabs & Sponson Drains
Last Edit: by TigerBoat.
Moderators: whiskywizarditsabowtime2
Time to create page: 0.153 seconds