Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Why the boc forum is sooooooo F'ed up !!! and why people complain

Why the boc forum is sooooooo F'ed up !!! and why people complain 27 Jan 2015 17:59 #26

• Alaskanmutt
  • Anchorage Alaska
  • Thank you received: 323
MonteVista.
That would be a erroneous way to determine "knowledgeableness"

Some with a High count such as Rick (2850Bounty) posts almost nothing but answers to questions, and is one of the top contributors to assisting tech.
Others post almost purely in Political Pundits and as we know...... well.... enough said.
Or one liners in Dock Walk. If I post 47 youtube videos of cats a night that does not mean I am knowledgeable. It means I am a crazy cat person.
7000 posts and 3600 of them stuff from Facebook does not mean knowledgeable.

Now that said, we have said in the past that we are not a place to only go for answers to a problem, we consider ourselves a family. Hence the Dock Walk, and PP. You know, places to put the dysfunctional ones... (Ok people, that was Sooooo said in a joking manner) And face it, how many of us do not have the slightly crazy relative. I have deleted and banned my sister so many times my Facebook account has a revolving door.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Boatless at this time

A veteran is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America," for an amount of "up to and including their life."

Why the boc forum is sooooooo F'ed up !!! and why people complain 27 Jan 2015 19:06 #27

• MonteVista
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 179
Alaskanmutt!

I realize that and I am not using the numbers in that way. That is why I used the "higher price versus better quality" example.

As you said, there are individuals who send many helpful suggestions all the time. I've come to recognize who is who and I heed their advice.

Happy boating!

Retired, computer expert / executive
Bayliner 285 Cruiser / Mercruiser QSD 4.2L 320 HP Diesel
Live in the Bay Area, CA, USA, boat in Turkey
D-Marin @ Turgutreis in Bodrum/Turkey
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Why the boc forum is sooooooo F'ed up !!! and why people complain 19 Feb 2015 15:58 #28

• dmcb
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 592
Haha, post count complaints are funny. I lost 22,000 (yes that is correct) in the latest change over. What difference does it really make?
About returning back to page 1. I do not and never have had that problem. I have done nothing to prevent it.
So if some have a problem and others don't, it would seem it isn't all a BOC problem but perhaps how your computer reacts to the site.

Doug

Started boating 1955
Number of boats owned 32
Bayliners
3870 presently owned
Favorite boat. Toss up. 46' Chris Craft, 3870 Bayliner
Last Edit: by dmcb.

Why the boc forum is sooooooo F'ed up !!! and why people complain 19 Feb 2015 16:45 #29

• Alaskanmutt
  • Anchorage Alaska
This forum runs great compared to others.

I tried to join dodgetalk on December 9. Never got the confirmation email. Checked the link they had for this problem. Dead link. Emailed the admin. Was told this morning they just activated my account. 2 months later.

Boatless at this time

A veteran is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America," for an amount of "up to and including their life."

Why the boc forum is sooooooo F'ed up !!! and why people complain 19 Feb 2015 17:52 #30

• Download_Complete
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 551

dmcb wrote: Haha, post count complaints are funny. I lost 22,000 (yes that is correct) in the latest change over. What difference does it really make?te.

Doug

*applause*

I never understood why post count was so important to people when I joined forums. 15 years after joining the first one? I still don't.

Matt Train
BOC Admin
Chicagoland, IL

Why the boc forum is sooooooo F'ed up !!! and why people complain 24 Feb 2015 20:14 #31

• Chief Alen
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Manalapan N.J
  • Thank you received: 1079
A while back when i was a mod. the mods where asked to go thru " our " forums, and trim it down, to save space.

I lost count how many, and how long it took.

But i can say it was over a month i think it was 2 months, maybe longer of reading each post, the no reply to posts where easy, no reply got deleted.

No one can expect the Admin to handle everything, it just not possible to have a life if he or she did.

So g-d made mods to spread out the load. And said it was good.

Now the admin. can see his wife and children, maybe make a living, pay the rent. If he's lucky a side wimmins or 2.

The point being, if you need the count tell the boss i said he can take some from me and give it to you.

Jeez the freeze is gonna make everyone go mad, mad i say.
The following user(s) said Thank You: whiskywizard

Be good, be happy, for tomorrow is promised to no man !

1994 2452, 5.0l, Alpha gen. 2 drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

'86 / 19' Citation cuddy, Merc. 3.0L / 140 hp 86' , stringer drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

Why the boc forum is sooooooo F'ed up !!! and why people complain 24 Feb 2015 20:23 #32

• Alaskanmutt
  • Anchorage Alaska
I think it has been a long tough winter for most of us.

Boatless at this time

Why the boc forum is sooooooo F'ed up !!! and why people complain 24 Feb 2015 21:28 #33

• Jeffw
  • Arizona Coast
  • Thank you received: 451

Alaskanmutt wrote: I think it has been a long tough winter for most of us.

No kidding. We've only been out on the boat 4 times this year. :P

Jeff & Tara
(And Ginger too)
Lake Havasu City, AZ
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
2000 Bayliner 2858
"GETA WAY"
MMSI: 338094599
In memory of Shadow, the best boat dog ever. Rest in peace, girl. July 2, 2010

Why the boc forum is sooooooo F'ed up !!! and why people complain 24 Feb 2015 22:00 #34

• robster_in_edmonds
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 241
Wow, the title of this thread is out of line, in my opinion. The amount of knowledge here is incredible and the time that mods CONTRIBUTE at no charge, is unreal. What does it really matter if your post count isn't accurate? Thank you, mods! Go ahead and donate some of my posts to a more deserving soul!
The following user(s) said Thank You: whiskywizard, bushwood

Rob Meldrum
Commodore, Edmonds Yacht Club (2014-2015)
"Miss Maui" * 1997 Bayliner 4788 * Cummins 330s

Why the boc forum is sooooooo F'ed up !!! and why people complain 24 Feb 2015 22:31 #35

• Flyboy III
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 58
OMG! My count is not up! I had better make more useless, dopey comments on the forum for sure. I DO NOT consider that post count equals more knowledge or better information. I have become pretty well aware of who knows what they are talking about here and who does not. I only chime in if I hope have something useful to add to a conversation or am posting a completed project that may have value to a fellow boater.

Fred
'Flyboy III' 1987 3818, twin 175 Hinos
Former Charles Golf (USCG) C130 pilot
Salish Sea Pirate

Why the boc forum is sooooooo F'ed up !!! and why people complain 24 Feb 2015 22:34 #36

• Alaskanmutt
  • Anchorage Alaska

Jeffw wrote:

I have been on my boat twice this winter.

Both times in the backyard while it is on the trailer

Once to recover my electrical bag of tools
The other was to get my charts so I can plan trips.

Boatless at this time

Why the boc forum is sooooooo F'ed up !!! and why people complain 24 Feb 2015 23:24 #37

• capt. ron
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 25
Keep Calm Spring is Near.

Capt. Ron.
"I will not tiptoe through life to arrive safely at death"
"Never Trade Luck For Skill"
1987 3870 - Northern Lights ll
Hino EH700
Westerbeke 8.0
1999 Logic Marine 17' CC/50 Merc.
on Louisiana pool Mississippi River.

Why the boc forum is sooooooo F'ed up !!! and why people complain 25 Feb 2015 00:40 #38

• johnoly99
  • Thank you received: 5
Wow. As someone who maintains many forums across the web, and someone that reads these forums about daily for a year now, it's sad to see someone with such ignorance running this "ship" as an admin. I'm sure I'll get the boot for saying it but damn man, if you think that users on your forum asking why and how their posts are getting deleted, and threatening them, then you sir are why a LOT of really great communities die. Learn to moderate without needing moderated. How about a "hey, it's gonna cost X to maintain our current forum growth, can you guys pitch in" instead? After reading the first few comments I thought hey, I haven't donated in a while, but after reading your post above I almost had some pretty bad thoughts.

Shame that there for sure is some good info being lost by all the mass deletions, and that the few extra $ to not do that is gonna be harder to raise when you say things like this to users.

Northern Indiana/Michiana area, Lake Wawasee slip
1988 Bayliner 2455 Cierra Sunbridge (For Sale)
1974 Tanzer T22 Sail 6hp
1998 2855 Special Edition "Paradise" 5.7/Alpha

Past:
sailboats from 12-20' on the Puget Sound
1978 Starcraft SS16 70hp
1992 Excel SL20 4.3 Volvo
1977 Ankor craft 15'

Why the boc forum is sooooooo F'ed up !!! and why people complain 25 Feb 2015 00:55 #39

• Alaskanmutt
  • Anchorage Alaska
Seriously?
At no point did WhiskyWizard "threaten" anyone.

And we do Moderate, We look at every thread before deleting. 200 Threads with no answers advertising a sale that happened two years ago is a junk thread and serves no purpose except to waste space.

Threads that are a year old where some one came here once, asked a question with no answers then never came back.... junk thread. (sometimes there just isn't a answer to a question.)
The following user(s) said Thank You: oakplank

Boatless at this time

Why the boc forum is sooooooo F'ed up !!! and why people complain 25 Feb 2015 01:19 #40

• SomeSailor
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 258

johnoly99 wrote: ... then you sir are why a LOT of really great communities die. Learn to moderate without needing moderated.

That's pretty harsh. This forum has made it through much worse. This has actually been a pretty mild winter. :)

I don't wanna judge YOU by your contributions (29 including that rant), but I think the old ship BOC will be just fine. As far as your concerns pruning is just a normal part of doing business on these forums, but you should know that if you run several yourself.

Why the boc forum is sooooooo F'ed up !!! and why people complain 25 Feb 2015 01:51 #41

• builderdude
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • "THE FIX"
  • Thank you received: 806

SomeSailor wrote:

johnoly99 wrote: ... then you sir are why a LOT of really great communities die. Learn to moderate without needing moderated.

That's pretty harsh. This forum has made it through much worse. This has actually been a pretty mild winter. :)

I don't wanna judge YOU by your contributions (29 including that rant), but I think the old ship BOC will be just fine. As far as your concerns pruning is just a normal part of doing business on these forums, but you should know that if you run several yourself.

Well said ;)
Op was simply asking where some of his posts went, no big deal IMO and this site kicks azz!

Dave
Edmonds, WA
"THE FIX"
'93 2556 5.7 Bravo II 2.0:1 18 1/4x19 P
.030 over-Vortec top end-part closed cooled
***The rebuild of my 2556***
www.baylinerownersclub.org/index.php/for...ansom-repair-my-2556

Why the boc forum is sooooooo F'ed up !!! and why people complain 25 Feb 2015 02:02 #42

• All In
  • Thank you received: 7
I would just like to thank all the mods and people that try to help others, I love reading daily when I can.

Boatless
(Sold) All In
2002 Bayliner 37
330 Cummins
AB

Why the boc forum is sooooooo F'ed up !!! and why people complain 25 Feb 2015 02:36 #43

• Go Aweigh2452
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Olalla, WA
  • Thank you received: 534
Many members have no idea what this site was like years ago. At one time it was like the old west. If you asked a question, the normal first response was if you had used the search function. Very little help back in the day.

The previous and present Admins and Mods have done an awesome job getting this forum to where it is today. For example, I can't recall the last time someone was snotty on a newbee asking a simple question.

I had quit BOC a couple of times in the past (once for 6 months and another time for over 8 months) because of the "attitude" here.

if you want the same kind of attitude, then I invite anyone to go to THT and tell them you need help and you own a Bayliner...

Doug ;}
MMSI: 338068776
"Go Aweigh to" Photos < click on red letters... 2001 Bayliner 2452 w/6.2 HO (paid for)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Why the boc forum is sooooooo F'ed up !!! and why people complain 25 Feb 2015 09:00 #44

• Jeffw
  • Arizona Coast
  • Thank you received: 451

johnoly99 wrote: Wow. As someone who maintains many forums across the web, and someone that reads these forums about daily for a year now, it's sad to see someone with such ignorance running this "ship" as an admin. I'm sure I'll get the boot for saying it but damn man, if you think that users on your forum asking why and how their posts are getting deleted, and threatening them, then you sir are why a LOT of really great communities die. Learn to moderate without needing moderated. How about a "hey, it's gonna cost X to maintain our current forum growth, can you guys pitch in" instead? After reading the first few comments I thought hey, I haven't donated in a while, but after reading your post above I almost had some pretty bad thoughts.

Shame that there for sure is some good info being lost by all the mass deletions, and that the few extra $ to not do that is gonna be harder to raise when you say things like this to users.

Talk about a useless post... No ignorance on the part of any admin or mod. I just re-read the whole thread, no threats from anyone. 29 posts, and you're an expert, right. Keep your money sport. If you need a boot, mine is available. :whistle:
The following user(s) said Thank You: oakplank, bushwood

Jeff & Tara
(And Ginger too)
Lake Havasu City, AZ
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
2000 Bayliner 2858
"GETA WAY"
MMSI: 338094599
In memory of Shadow, the best boat dog ever. Rest in peace, girl. July 2, 2010

Why the boc forum is sooooooo F'ed up !!! and why people complain 25 Feb 2015 09:57 #45

• Chief Alen
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Manalapan N.J
  • Thank you received: 1079
I don't think he needs da boot, there is always someone who thinks they can do a better job.

Please,Please,Please don't give him the keys to the kingdom, all will be lost....

Be good, be happy, for tomorrow is promised to no man !

1994 2452, 5.0l, Alpha gen. 2 drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

'86 / 19' Citation cuddy, Merc. 3.0L / 140 hp 86' , stringer drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

Why the boc forum is sooooooo F'ed up !!! and why people complain 25 Feb 2015 10:33 #46

• Greg Tomamichel
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 98
This is a wonderful forum, and all thanks to the team that runs it. And to the highly knowledgeable contributors.

To anyone really upset about the running of the BOC forum, the rest of your life must be pretty smooth sailing!

2007 Bayliner 175 3.0l Mercruiser
Lake use for water sports
Victoria, Australia

Why the boc forum is sooooooo F'ed up !!! and why people complain 25 Feb 2015 12:37 #47

• MartyUK
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 116

Jeffw wrote:

Can rely on you to cheer us up Jeff.... :woohoo:

Marty UK
BROADSTAIRS, ENGLAND
2001 175 BR Capri ...3 litre GM Mercruiser ( Alpha 1 gen 11 OD)
"THE VOICE OF THE SEA SPEAKS TO THE SOUL"

Ramsgate Small Boat Owners Assoc.

Why the boc forum is sooooooo F'ed up !!! and why people complain 25 Feb 2015 12:46 #48

• whiskywizard
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Out exploring the waters of the Kawartha Lakes
  • Thank you received: 252
Johnoly99 - I didn't take the Admin role because I was a web expert or to 'fix' something that didn't need fixing. I did it because Doug deserved a break and I was available and willing to spend the time needed. There are aspects here that I have managed less than ideally but I refuse to be a spendthrift. This site runs on donations made by a very very small percentage of the registered members. The same ones over and over. I will not keep asking for money when I know it's the same few people who will come forth again.

You seem to have the impression that the Mods and I have deleted large quantities of useful info. This is incorrect. more correctly, the Mods and I have deleted large quantities of info that was either out of date or not boating related.

BTW, I'm ready to hand over the keys any time a trustworthy reliable volunteer steps forward; 0800 this morning wouldn't be too soon for me.

P.s., I can't find the threats you're refering to.
P.p.s, post links to a half-dozen of the many forums you administer. I'd like to take a look around for OFIs.

Regards
Whiskywizard
[/COLOR]

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while you could miss it.
- Ferris Bueller
Last Edit: by whiskywizard.

Why the boc forum is sooooooo F'ed up !!! and why people complain 25 Feb 2015 12:54 #49

• MartyUK
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 116
Can we stop talking about posts now please ....I have been putting up fencing for the last two weeks , seen more posts than I wish for....Marty :whistle:

Marty UK
BROADSTAIRS, ENGLAND
2001 175 BR Capri ...3 litre GM Mercruiser ( Alpha 1 gen 11 OD)
"THE VOICE OF THE SEA SPEAKS TO THE SOUL"

Ramsgate Small Boat Owners Assoc.

Why the boc forum is sooooooo F'ed up !!! and why people complain 25 Feb 2015 15:56 #50

• 2850Bounty
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 1121
Speaking of threads disappearing.
As you can imagine, the Volvo Penta AQ series BOC members, as well as myself, are rather disappointed when we now attempt to use the Volvo Penta AQ series frequent Q's A's Vault thread.
I spent quite a bit of my free/no cost time putting this thread together over the years, and all in the name of helping our AQ series owners.

Click on my hyperlinks that should be leading us to past BOC threads that were once very helpful.
Here's what you'll see:

The requested page cannot be found.

Rick E. Portland, Oregon
2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
Twin 270 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set
Last Edit: by 2850Bounty.
Moderators: whiskywizarditsabowtime2
Time to create page: 0.184 seconds